No announcement yet.

Power Steering Woes - What steps have you taken to avoid Strawberry Milkshake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Woes - What steps have you taken to avoid Strawberry Milkshake

If there is one thing on my car that I really freakin hate, it is the power steering setup. I've gone all AN fittings, I've got new high pressure lines, I've got a cooler....but it still froths it's brain off.

So my question to you guys is: Who else has this issue? I know I can not be the only one who is tired of wiping the drivers fenderwell off.

I'm currently using a parts store brand ATF for the car. Are there actually any real differences with the 'performance brand' stuff? Should I perhaps consider synthetic? What about switching to actual power steering fluid? I'm also considering a larger reservoir, but with the cooler (on the return side obviously) and the other items, why really should I?

*sigh* It works, but it's frustrating. That's the only freaking thing that bothers me about my car.
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Use some Lucas ATF stopleak. It's much thicker, tends to raise the boiling point and make things happier at high temps.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Noted. Never even heard of it so that's good to look into. Do you use it as an additive, or is that what you use as the primary fluid?

I guess the other root cause of this was the fact that my car burst the high pressure steering line (a crimped hydro hose from my local shop). Sprayed the **** everywhere, which obviously makes for nice smoke (and meatball flags appear).
      Last edited by CodyAce; 07-15-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

been there, done that. I drove my car for about 1 min after blowing a line at the track (just to get off the track to the paddock).
        put it back together and it was fine for about 200 miles. added a cooler to the system and it completely crapped out after that. hmmm.

one of the big issues is making sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir, but don't get it TOO full. it needs enough dwell time to de-aerate, but not so much that it's puking out the top.

that said, I used to wrap the reservoir with about 3 layers of blue paper towels held on with zip tie or rubber band. that prevented the mess inside the engine bay, and I'd just change the rags every few events.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I use it as an additive. About 40-50%. It's really thick so it doesn't get as much swirling of bubbles in the res.

You night want to put a baffle or two in your res as well.

Comment

So much useful info this morning. I never thought to drop some Lucas in there at all. Next fluid I change will be the PS system.
            Originally posted by Matt93SE
            in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Nissan PS systems seem to hate the low viscosity you get with hot ATF, so the Lucas makes things "happy" again. It works so-so as a stop leak on old tired o-rings.

Comment

Thinking back my problems started after I had removed the stock CA18 heatshields from the turbo...

Make shure your turbo setup does not heat your PAS fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyAce View Post
                  If there is one thing on my car that I really freakin hate, it is the power steering setup. I've gone all AN fittings, I've got new high pressure lines, I've got a cooler....but it still froths it's brain off.

So my question to you guys is: Who else has this issue? I know I can not be the only one who is tired of wiping the drivers fenderwell off.

I'm currently using a parts store brand ATF for the car. Are there actually any real differences with the 'performance brand' stuff? Should I perhaps consider synthetic? What about switching to actual power steering fluid? I'm also considering a larger reservoir, but with the cooler (on the return side obviously) and the other items, why really should I?

*sigh* It works, but it's frustrating. That's the only freaking thing that bothers me about my car.
                  So I'm guessing you didn't go about welding on the bungs to your rack like Nino?

In researching this the past week or so, I found that there are really no AN fittings long enough to seat against the bottom of the rack female outlet, except for MAYBE the Flaming River fitting, that is, if you ran a die over the threads till you stop against the hex head. And even then, you're bordering on the exact limit that threads into the rack. Apparently Fueled Racing has "custom" fittings that seat all the way at the bottom of the rack. Whether they're BSing with their description and just bought some from a company, IDK. I will let you know when mine come in if this is accurate though. Unfortunately, FR just sells it as part of a kit for their PS line conversion in LS swaps costing a bit more than just one or two fittings...

Comment

My S13 sees regular autoX duty on sticky concrete running V710s and the PS system holds up pretty well. I replaced all lines, installed a small cooler in front of my radiator in the airflow path that my Spal fan can pull through, rigged up a fluid resevouir from a 350z, and swapped to Redline high temp ATF fluid. This seems to have solved the problem for the most part.

No leaks with the 350Z PS tank, the cap design seals well, think I snagged one on ebay for ~$30

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                      So I'm guessing you didn't go about welding on the bungs to your rack like Nino?
                      Not yet. I'll probably end up doing that over the winter. Knock on wood those fittings have essentially stopped leaking with the crush washer and Permetex thread sealant for hydraulics

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                      In researching this the past week or so, I found that there are really no AN fittings long enough to seat against the bottom of the rack female outlet, except for MAYBE the Flaming River fitting, that is, if you ran a die over the threads till you stop against the hex head. And even then, you're bordering on the exact limit that threads into the rack. Apparently Fueled Racing has "custom" fittings that seat all the way at the bottom of the rack. Whether they're BSing with their description and just bought some from a company, IDK. I will let you know when mine come in if this is accurate though. Unfortunately, FR just sells it as part of a kit for their PS line conversion in LS swaps costing a bit more than just one or two fittings...
                      That's really the main issue for sure. The online fittings are just the wrong size so it relies on the threads/crush washer to seal and not the o ring like OEM.

I'd be intrested in the fueled fittings though for sure....then I'd not worry about taking that other rack apart

Comment

Another thing that helped my power steering was to underdrive the pump. I underdrive the PS 30% and the water pump 20%. But I also rev the engine to 7800rpm.

I could however use a PS cooler but have other more pressing issues like a broken counter shaft in the trans to deal with.
                        NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Don't forget to polish your shaft...

Comment

on the AN fitting not being long enough, try using a bulkhead AN adapter/fitting. They're usually about 1/2" longer than the regular ones.
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

heres a trick i used on my altima... the radiator was made for an auto that i used in my 5 speed but i used the at cooler inside the radiator as a power steering cooler, because the altimas like to boil the fluid too...

Comment

Working...
                              X