Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler air exit path question

Hello
    I have in the facelift bumber an airintake on the passenger side where i made a custom air scoop which feeds into a 80mm flexible tube. This tube i can route to my mocal 19 row cooler which is boxed on the feeding side with such a butler oil cooler duct in the picture of the link.

http://www.butlerbuilt.net/products/...ooler_Duct.JPG

The idea is to force air better through the cooler. I removed also the washer bottle in the wheel arch. So i have room to mount it flat inside the wheel arch or lay it down so it's flat mounted at the undertray.

I'm not shure which position is better and if the wheel arch is a vacuum or pressure zone when the wheels are rotating. If there would be a vacuum it could assist the flow over the cooler. But if there is pressure i would reduce flow. Does anyone has an explanation or maybe a better idea how to use the "given" parts ....

By having the hose and duct on there, you have enough pressure on the front side of it that I'm guessing either place is going to be roughly equal cooling. More importantly though, I would not put your oil cooler down on the undertray because it can be damaged much easier here. Safer to have it exit into the wheel well, but put a screen on the back side of it for a rock guard.

Comment

> I would not put your oil cooler down on the undertray because it can be
      > damaged much easier here.

Okay. It was not the plan that he hangs there free. If in the undertray i planned to install him with a mesh and maybe a air flow brake away edge too.
      I have planes for a selfmade undertray so i would not use the stock one here.
      i forgot to mention this.

> Safer to have it exit into the wheel well, but put a screen on the back side > of it for a rock guard.

Ah, so we thought opposite here. I thought embedded in the undertray could be safer then in the wheel arch in terms of rocks. (both positions with a mesh off course)

But well. The flow question sounds logical. You assume that even if the wheels produce pressure, the incoming air rush has more pressure and this way the flow is more then enough over the cooler.

One reason on top, for the lower position in the undertray, is the point that during oil changes in the past, my old oil cooler setup didn't offer the possibility to drain the cooler. I have now a T-Piece adapter thing ready where i could drain the oil cooler in the future too. This could be easier realized there instead of the wheel arch.

I will think now about flying rocks and service things to decide.
      From a flow side it seems to be okay both ways. Thanx

Comment

Working...
      X