Subframe bushings toast? Knock/clunk on uneven/rough pavement turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subframe bushings toast? Knock/clunk on uneven/rough pavement turns

95' S14, subframe collars, KTS coilovers, no rear sway, stock bushings all around.

Syptoms are basically this: when I drive onto any weird driveway or store entrance with some funky geometry that will cause one of my rear wheels to drop/raise but not the other, I get a clunk sound from that side of the rear end that sounds like throwing a 2 pound rock at a wooden fence, just one distinct 'clunk'. I've got subframe spacers but during my last inspection I could just see the stock rubber material is just cracked and squeezed to death. I'm really suspecting these subframe bushings and looking for some additional input before the nasty job of replacing them with polyurethane pieces (also looking for product recommendations)

Another note, sometimes when shifting I hear/feel a nice little clunk from back there which is probably the diff bushings. Either way if I do subframe bushings I'll do them first then see if I need diff bushings.

Thanks in advance guys.

S14 bushings are soft all around (diff and subframe). I'd suggest going with at least poly bushings or aluminum.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Get both the subframe and diff bushings from Energy Suspension, you dont want to deal with doing the same work twice, you WILL need both.

Comment

I have those Energy Suspension subframe bushings chopped for 10mm correction if you're interested. Never used these but I have a set on my car and they're great. $65 shipped.

Comment

subframe bushing spacers would be a cheaper/easier fix than replacing the entire bushing unless you are doing other stuff.

i have some aluminum subframe spacers for $30 shipped!

Comment

He already has spacers. They tend to accelerate bushing wear by creating tears/cracks on the outside of the bushing with then propogate inwards.

Comment

Is the nut on top of the damper tight?
              sigpic

Comment

The subframe spacers I used mashed all of the rubber out of the way so it was metal on metal back there. can't imagine that developing play or accelerating wear. :shrug:

Any chance you still have stock rear uprights on the car?
                I've got Z32 uprights (and the KTS lower mounts) on mine, and need to go back to stock. want to work out a trade?
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                  The subframe spacers I used mashed all of the rubber out of the way so it was metal on metal back there. can't imagine that developing play or accelerating wear. :shrug:

Any chance you still have stock rear uprights on the car?
                  I've got Z32 uprights (and the KTS lower mounts) on mine, and need to go back to stock. want to work out a trade?
                  They get things pretty well nailed down back there, but they also put a lot of extra stress on the rubber getting that tight fit. In every car I've seen them installed in, the bushings were in ok to meh shape going in, but after a few thousand miles with them in the bushings are usually pretty shot. The spacers hold the subframe relatively still, but there's still a little movement in my experience. When the rubber starts separating from the sleeve or cracking really badly it's like having a loose fit on subframe bushings.

Comment

sorry Matt93, I just wanna get this thing riding on the road decently right now, not change my uprights.

Does the Energy full bushign kit include these? It doesn't look so. I'm going to get the subframe bushings alone and diff bushings too.

What's this 10mm correction notice?

Comment

Originally posted by enerj View Post
                      sorry Matt93, I just wanna get this thing riding on the road decently right now, not change my uprights.

Does the Energy full bushign kit include these? It doesn't look so. I'm going to get the subframe bushings alone and diff bushings too.

What's this 10mm correction notice?
                      No the master bushing kit does not include the subframe nor the differential mount bushings.

Comment

^10mm chopped from the top of the bushings to raise the subframe.
                        This is a set I did for a friend. I have another set that I never installed.

Comment

SPL makes nice subframe bushings. Just cut out the metal outer ring and keep the spl bushings in the freezer over nite. Then use threaded rod and a little lube for install. While your at it get rid of the oval excentric holes on the camber and toe by welding 12mm mild steel washers on them. You can tie some of the arms together with tubing as well to make it stiff.

Comment

Working...
                          X