Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a scratch wiring harness, help... (S13 hatch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a scratch wiring harness, help... (S13 hatch)

Alright, so I can build milspec harnesses, and my buddy has built even better ones and is coming out from mass to help me in a couple weeks. I need to get my supplies in order to build this. Due to the questionable nature of my oem wiring, I would like to go through and replace absolutely every bit of wiring. Obviously I would be removing any circuits I didnt need, but keeping and reworking the ones I did. I dont have the harness pulled yet, so I am just beginning brainstorming on the project. I also work for a company that designs and builds aircraft components, so milspec connectors and wiring should be able to be purchased on the cheaper end of the spectrum. right now i havnt decided whether or not to go with reworked breakers, fuses, and relays, or just stick with the oem boxes.

questions:
    1. anyone fiddled with the s chassis harness and have any advice?

2. what sorta total length in wiring should i expect. 1000ft of milspec wiring is pretty cheap, like $240 from pegasus.

3. any idea how many chassis connectors are in the car? I know its absurd but if i can buy in bulk instead of individually, that would help.

4. lastly, what range of wiring size is used on the oem harness? whats the largest and smallest size gauge i would expect, not counting battery (that Ill be running big)

Like i've said, I am just working on the idea right now. If given tons of time, i would be a little more relaxed on it, but my friend is traveling from mass to help for a couple weeks and he said he would like to see the car running by the end of the stay or he would feel like a failure (ha!).

thanks.

Good luck. I have zero electrical knowledge so I am now on harness attempt #2, LoL!
    Originally posted by Matt93SE
    in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

last harness i built was just a rewrap and mod harness, not a scratch built one. it was great, re-did a bunch of it since i was removing the oem ignition, etc, but this will be a bigger undertaking. thats why my friend is helping me, i just didnt feel like building a harness on my own again this year. that said, never fiddled with a nissans wiring or an s13s to be more precise...

Comment

They are fragile, most likely brittle, copper is known to separate inside of the jacket when certain areas are moved around, and half of it is useless garbage.

Comment

My suggestion is to take an OEM harness and lay it out on a table. Label all connectors, then cut out what you don't want.
          when you're down to the essentials, start there and build a new one using that as a template.
          When you're done, you can sell the gutted harness to someone else.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

^ That's what I've done in the past.
            My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

OP, there was an excellent thread here maybe a year ago, perhaps less? I think it was titled "building a body harness" and maybe the words "from scratch" was in the title as well.

Comment

Here is a SG Motorsports ViPec / SR20DET harness example.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-0...M2MmE5YTNmNDhh

He wires in new Deutsch DT / DTM connectors so this does not translate to OEM connectors.

This should give you an idea of the number of connectors and pins needed in a stand alone engine harness.

From experience the best thing is to take the OEM harness and just start taking it apart and consult the FSM to figure out anything you don't understand.
                The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                  OP, there was an excellent thread here maybe a year ago, perhaps less? I think it was titled "building a body harness" and maybe the words "from scratch" was in the title as well.
                  That was most likely my thread. I'm learning electrical the hard way I guess you could say. Haha

Comment

Thanks everyone. Most appreciated, im still playing with a few different options, but laying out the oem harness and referring to the fsm is the primary/last resort plan.

Does anyone know where to obtain oem replacement pins? Wouldnt mind repinning all the connectors. Or the other option is just wiring new connectors onto everything.

Comment

There was a recent thread about OEM connectors and pins and such. look for that thread.
                      Originally posted by SoSideways
                      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        There was a recent thread about OEM connectors and pins and such. look for that thread.
                        thanks I'll do that

Comment

Working...
                        X