Push rod rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push rod rear end

I know I've seen pics of a 240 with a pushrod conversion a while ago. Just wondering if anyone on here has considered it/done it? I'm actually surprised I haven't seen at least a few more since it seems like an easy job for a DIYer if you don't care about loosing some cabin/trunk space and know what you're doing.

Anyone think about it?

My thoughts...
    -Reduced unsprung mass and probably improved polar moment of inertia
    -Improved geometry to better utilize those expensive shocks/springs
    -Can't see it being very expensive if you can weld
    -Ryan

sorry for the noob question but are u refering to a canti-leaver suspension or how ever u spell it.

Comment

Negative, its the style you'll see on most formula style cars. A rod is located where our rear coilovers are and that actuates a bell crank. On the other side of the bell crank is the coilover.

Seen here...
      -Ryan

Comment

yea thats what i was referring to.. sorry if im getting my terms wrong.. im just trying to figure it all out.. but yea i have always wanted to do it.. since it would get alot of weight off ur suspension and u could adjust ride height with out having to mess with the coilovers setup.. and it would really open us up to different coilovers

Comment

after a quick search it seems like those are also referred to as cantileaver suspensions.

Comment

I'd be worried about the strength of the pivot and load paths without adding excessive weight up higher in the chassis. In which case it kind of seems counterproductive.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

The setup I saw had it built into his roll cage with some extra support around the shock towers so overall its not that much weight compared to the full roll cage and the stiffness is there. Everything's a tradeoff but I'd say its worth design time. Until there is a design you don't know how much it weighs though or where that weight is being distributed.
              -Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RBbugBITme View Post
                The setup I saw had it built into his roll cage with some extra support around the shock towers so overall its not that much weight compared to the full roll cage and the stiffness is there. Everything's a tradeoff but I'd say its worth design time. Until there is a design you don't know how much it weighs though or where that weight is being distributed.

i have photos of this suspension setup on a 240 on my comp at home (pics tomorrow night). The guys that do this use small coilovers from motorcycles with external reservoirs. But onc eyou add in the metal bracketry to support said design, i dont think it will benefit anythign besides you being too lazy to jack up the rear of the car and mess with the suspension.

In the end your front suspension will still be less than ideal while teh rear is workign its ways towards a well engineered design. Why only go "all out" on half the car? Save yourself alot of effort and just stick with what works.
                NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Too much work, not enough benefits. I really don't see how the car would be any better with a pushrod style shock setup, other than the availibility of super gangster racing shocks that is. Cool idea, but in the end there is really no point.
                  function > form
                  1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

The 5 link in the back of the 240 really is not a bad design, and there are other places to seek restitution first before attacking it.
                    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Everytime I think about exotic setups like cantilevers or double wishbone conversions, I just go back to the JIC S15 and how successful it is in Time Attack without all that.
                      She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Originally posted by sr20goofus View Post
                        In the end your front suspension will still be less than ideal while teh rear is workign its ways towards a well engineered design. Why only go "all out" on half the car? Save yourself alot of effort and just stick with what works.
                        Well it was just a conversation starter. I wasn't going to bring up my thinking about a possible pull rod setup up front. I know, I should head over to the looney bin!
                        -Ryan

Comment

I say do it. Ignore the rest haha.
                          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

No I don't think you're looney for bringing up the conversation.... I think these guys are looney for trying it.

I've found a whole lot more talk about it, and I know there's a pic of a green hatch with it actually put together.
                            She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

the us 'silvia' something 240 forum had a race car in the making but the whole site died/project died... It was a white hatch
                              "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Working...
                              X