SR20 Transmission Fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20 Transmission Fluids

Hey guys, couldn't find anything after searching so I figured I'd ask. What kind of fluids are you guys using? I've read elsewhere that RedLine MT-90 works well. Inputs?

Thanks

I'm using Redline MT-90 here. Takes a short time to warm up, but when it does the shifting is beautiful. Same thing most people have to say about it.

I recall using about 2 1/2 quarts myself.
    Simplify, then add lightness.

Comment

1.3qts Redline MT-90 or MTL, and 1 qt of Redline Lightweight Shockproof..

Been doing DEs and Road Racing on the same transmission for about 20k miles with that stuff. (i.E. ONLY track use for the last 20k miles. car hasn't been street-driven in about 5 years.)

most trannies would have died long ago.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I've ran 3 different fluids and these are how I would order them.

1. LW Shockproof
        2. AMSOil MTF
        3. MT-90

I'm currently running LW Shockproof and its the best thing I've tried so far. Would like to experiment with other brands like Motul and Torco n a few others.

Comment

I have been using Pennzoil Synchromesh for the past 5 or 6 years or so with no issues. I realise its a little thin according to spec but having done a half dozen track days in that time period I have not had any problems.
          "To an engineer, the glass is neither half empty nor half full. It is twice as big as it needs to be."
          '96 Nissan 240SX KA-T
          '05 Grand Cherokee

Comment

You can pee in your gearbox and it'll last 6 track days.. :P
            the issue is when it lasts 30 track days per year for 6+ years.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
              You can pee in your gearbox and it'll last 6 track days.. :P
              the issue is when it lasts 30 track days per year for 6+ years.
              How is the viscosity on urine?? LOL
              sigpic
              || Endurance Motorports ||

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                Been doing DEs and Road Racing on the same transmission for about 20k miles with that stuff.
                Weren't you looking for a dog box b/c the stocker kept chewing its baulk rings? I remember vaguely.

Comment

Not on my car, no. That's normal on road raced trans with a featherweight unsprung clutch and 200+lb tq. Im running oe type clutch and stock hp levels.
                  But yes, I am shopping for a dog box for increased reliability (for when I build the engine) and better gearing.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

MT90 GL4 here. Have also used good old 80w90 Spirax without issue, but it I really dig the GL4 (obviously it's what they call for) vs the GL5 big rig goo
                    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by LigouriRd View Post
                      I have been using Pennzoil Synchromesh for the past 5 or 6 years or so with no issues. I realise its a little thin according to spec but having done a half dozen track days in that time period I have not had any problems.
                      You shouldn't use that.
                      That stuff worked well in other cars I owned, but I've heard horror stories about using Synchromesh in KA or SR transmissions.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will give the RedLine fluids a go.

Comment

Has anyone tried Amsoil MTG?
                          This is the correct Amsoil product for the box I believe (75w90 GL4).

I'm running Redline MT-90 but if I haven't driven the car in a while it doesn't seem the smoothest, and seems to take a couple drives to come good again, so I'm curious how the Amsoil product compares.

The MT-90 is nice once warmed up, and when freshly changed is smooth from cold but that didn't last particularly long.

Comment

Working...
                          X