opinions on suspension setups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on suspension setups...

alright im selling alot of my music stuff (super nice mexi strat that modded, and a kustom 36 coupe amp) but im probably gonna be able to get around $800 out of all my music stuff. and well i really need some suspension stuff.. i have agx's with intrax springs on my car right now.. i was prettty happy with the performance of the setup before i blew the struts.. now the front struts are blown and the rears are leaking. so here is my options and questions...

option 1: koni yellows all the way around and maybe camber plates
    cons: i really want to get a 8610 setup down the road.. i just dont have the $$ right now

option 2: im under the impression that the koni 8610's dont fit in stock housings.. i would really like to know if this is true or not.. cause if they do i want to get them and this will put me slowly torwards having a perfect coilover setup
    cons: i dont think the 8610's will fit in either the agx or stock housings.

option 3: megans or k-sports.....
    cons: well ****ty dampening, ****ty ride quality, and well ****ty... so i dont like this option..

8610's need a gland nut to hold them in, not easily doable on stock struts.

My take - get some Koni yellows and hunt for a used GC setup.

Or I'll be selling my S13 K-Sport setup soon for way less than $800. They're rough, but for a typical bouncy "JDM" street setup they go low and about as evil as any others(Megan, Stance, low end Tein etc.) when you stick to the soft side of the "adjustability."
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

yea that has been sounding pretty good about hunting down a gc setup.. but how to they sit on the stock housings.. do i have to cut and weld on a flange for the perch to sit on??

Comment

It's definately preferable that you have a flange welded on, rather than sitting on the perch. (it's uneven which causes noise and odd stresses on the sleeve)

You can attempt to thread a stock housing for an 8610 BUT it is VERY difficult to find someone with a tap that size, and even more difficult to actually use a tap that size. (I have one and refuse to use it after paying $400 for it)
        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          Or I'll be selling my S13 K-Sport setup soon for way less than $800.
          I will sell mine too, so you have 2 sets in case you need replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
            It's definately preferable that you have a flange welded on, rather than sitting on the perch. (it's uneven which causes noise and odd stresses on the sleeve)

You can attempt to thread a stock housing for an 8610 BUT it is VERY difficult to find someone with a tap that size, and even more difficult to actually use a tap that size. (I have one and refuse to use it after paying $400 for it)

what is the thread pitch for it?? i may try to swing buy a couple machine shops and see what they can do...

Comment

The gland nut is 48x1.5.

The other downside to the stock housing when setup as a coilover, is the inside clearance to the wheel is VERY tight.
              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Yea, I imagine by the time you dump the time effort into stock housings you'd have enough "issues" with them where you will wish you'd just bought some custom housings from the get-go.

If you're really on a budget get some Koni yellows up front and then maybe do something else in the future. They shouldn't lose too much value if you really decide you want more.

Comment

im probably just going to get some yellows for now.. i may try to find a used GC set

Comment

Is there an event you're trying to prepare for? I vote wait it out and do it right once.
                    -Ryan

Comment

well the autox season is going on.. and i would like to have something decent for that.. and really this car will end up a autox and DD after i buy a race car.. so it doesnt have to be a perfect race car.. thats what the spec miata will be for.

Comment

I like my KTS coil-overs. They seem very well built and they are not bouncy at all. Over all they seem very solid, and are not super expensive.

Comment

well tomorrow im sending the paypal for a used but nice set of koni yellows for 150 shipped so yea im getting them

Comment

Originally posted by Longfellow View Post
                            I like my KTS coil-overs. They seem very well built and they are not bouncy at all. Over all they seem very solid, and are not super expensive.
                            KTS coilovers have very little low speed damping once you get the high speed "somewhat reasonable" from what the ass-dyno felt in a ride in a KTS equipped car.

I would definitely go Koni Yellow + GC over those.

Comment

yea i plan on it.. with some camber plates.. but i have one more question.. i want to get the rears set decent the 1st time cause they seem to be a bitch to adjust.. so for those of u that have used them.. give me some recommendations for the setting..

it will be DD'ed but sunday autox'ed idc about ride comfort..

Comment

Working...
                              X