Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spacers + stock studs = how much thread engagement is enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacers + stock studs = how much thread engagement is enough?

I just switched to a wider wheel setup (18x9.5 +25), and in order to clear the coilovers in the front, I had to use a 3/8" spacer.

In order to run a 275 street tire up front, I may decide to go with hubcentric spacers (to get the backspacing right).

How big of a spacer is 'ok' with stock studs?

What's the rule of thumb for number of threads on lugnuts?

If I run a 20mm spacer, I can use the bolt on kind though.

Otoh I think I'll be ok with maybe 245's up front and a 15mm spacer.
    That sounds like too much spacer with stock studs tho.
    1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
    1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
    2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

you can only use about 1/4" spacer with the stock wheel studs. Not much room there really.
    the rule of thumb for things like this is that you need at least "one bolt width" of engagement.
    i.e. if you have a 12mm wheel stud, you need 12mm of thread engagement to get the full strength. given a 12x1.25mm thread, that means you need >9.6 turns on a lug nut to be safe.

Given the fact you're tracking the car and plan to use spacers, I wouldn't skimp on wheel studs. go straight to ARP studs and sleep well. They're about $5-6each, and you can get them in several lengths. however, you can't get them in quickstart heads in 12x1.25mm. I went to 12x1.5mm (Mazda/Honda/etc) and bought a box of those lugnuts just to give me the quickstart options on studs.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

This may be a stupid question (I know it is) but bolton spacers don't require extended studs right? I've never used spacers so I really don't know.
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

generally, no. bolt-on spacers have to be thick enough to so that the lugnuts you're using to hold it in place don't protrude through the front. They usually start around 3/4" thick and go up from there.

However.. by the time you're bolting on a spacer that freakin thick, you're better off buying a wheel with the proper offset and saving the weight for more important things.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Thanks Matt.

I pulled out the calipers and the spacers are actually 5/16" so that's 7-8mm.

I double checked and I'm getting 10+ turns on each lugnut so I'm good.
          1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
          1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
          2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Working...
          X