Track Day Performance's new "Angle kit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Day Performance's new "Angle kit"

Thought this was interesting. First billet aluminum knuckle for the S-chassis:

I e-mailed them a lot of questions and this is how they answered:

I asked a lot of questions of TDP about their angle kit, so I'll just type this out in Q&A format.

Me: What brand heim/spherical joints do you use?

[email protected]: We use Fluro only from nwo on as the quality is amazing. The pictures on facebook are all Fluro except the outer tie rods as we are awaiting delivery.
    Me: How much angle is achievable?

[email protected]: We have measured 65 degrees with a 18x9.5j wheel with 235x40x18 Tire. Angle depends on the amount of Ackerman correction used.

Me: How much roll center correction do they provide and how? (They look like they are a drop knuckle plus LCA spaced down?)

[email protected]: The Spindle in the knuckle is raised 30mm and the LCA is dropped a further 60mm giving a total of 90mm Roll Centre Correction.

Me: The coilover clearance looks really close on your S15, will they hit if you lower the car more?

[email protected]: The coil over is not close to anything at all. We have had the car dropped so far the tire hits the top of the chassis with no problems. It must be an optical illusion from the photos.

Me: I see that ackerman is adjustable. Do you know how much? Like how many degrees difference at full lock can you change?

[email protected]: The Ackerman is adjustable +/- 6 degrees at 50 degrees lock. We have not measured it as full lock.

Me: How does your top hat work? Is it adjustable?

[email protected]: At the moment the Kit is designed to meet the Irish and FD rules by keeping the centre of the damper inside the PCD of the top mount. We will make an adjustable set-up soon.

Me: What diameter are the shanks for the "ball joints" and tie rod ends?

[email protected]: The spindles for the LCA are made form Aircraft 17/4PH Heat treated stainless steel and the diameter in the lower bracket of the hub is 32mm tapering to 20mm for the LCA ball joint and held in pace with M16 threaded section. The spindle for the tie rod is 20mm through the lower bracket tapering to 14mm for the tie rod end. We have some using 16mm tie rods ends but the lock is reduced.

Me: Are the components going to be available individually, or only has a whole set?

[email protected]: At the moment we are not planning on selling any parts individually . We are designing a similar lower TCA to be used with a roll centre kit for std knuckles. It will obviously be different as it will need a 15 degree up angle on the outer end of the TCA.

I will have a full specification for the Kit out in the next few day as can send it to you. I will also have separate images of the individual parts showing the complexity of the kit.

I hope the forum is kind to our Kit as we have put a huge amount of time and effort in designing the best drift steering kit possible while making it affordable to privateers.

Note: 90mm of correction? Wow. Should allow us to finally slam our front ends and have proper geometry.
    Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Can we see some FEA or at least the load design criteria? Looks pretty sweet!

Also, I like the brake line dragging the tire in the last picture. ...gonna wanna fix that!
    She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Holy Rod Ends in Bending!!!!
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
        Hahaha. I replied to their e-mail and told them that everyone was going to have a problem with that.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          As soon as I saw the pics I was awaiting your online 'heart attack' post
          'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
          [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
          [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

wow..

i wonder what level of customizability they will offer.. i mean... different configurations... they do state they designed them for drifting for irish rules... but no one cares about drifting on here. Still too cool to bypass. Especially how to cope with increased scrub radius from wider tires with lower offsets as alot of us have to endure with the chassis and fittin wide tires under there..
            Last edited by a_ahmed; 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM.
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Just cause it's shiny and uses quality parts doesn't mean it's good design... Lots of bolts = lots of pieces that have to precisely fit together and lots of failure points if/when the bolts come loose.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Good point, but who will step up to the job with the know how and will to do "what's right" :P
                "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                  Good point, but who will step up to the job with the know how and will to do "what's right" :P
                  There's no real market for how much this stuff costs to make right... at least for our cars.

And I'll be the first to say that spending $1500-2500 to tweak our front end geometry just a bit more than what you can get with $200-400 solutions is probably not a smart idea when that's how much our chassis cost.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Aren't these the people that make the huge monster billet RUCAs as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                      Aren't these the people that make the huge monster billet RUCAs as well?
                      Yup.

And technically you could weld those big blocks on, I shot them an e-mail with some recommendations, they haven't responded yet.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Maybe they only own a CNC mill and not a welder. ; )

This and the WiseFab kit are for big angle drift dealies. The euros like to remove caster and are all about low or 0 ackerman at 50* to 60* of lock.

See how they move the camber plate pivot point way forward and outside? The struts have very low caster and jacking at big lock angles. With this little caster the trailing strut can go into positive caster at high angle.

Wisefab example (more extreem LCA and upper strut mout location).

And their S13 kit:

I suppose that might help auto steer with lower caster and ackerman. Shopping trolly FTW!

I don't think this type of geometry would work well for anything but drifting. I'm not even convinced it's the right way to go for drifting either.

I'm a proponent of using caster and ackerman to control self steer feel and jacking adds negative rake to help keep weight transferred to the rear for some additional grip.

I haven't tried a low caster setup like this so it's hard to say if it is a better compromise overall.

Here is a good video of the Wisefab kit for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVOeIOXfZsI
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84ABfMZGIo
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sBblnhH7g

The video does have very good driver feedback.

The Wisefab kit costs $1660 USD.

I've been tempted to try a beam axle.

Last edited by Umai Kakudo; 04-20-2012, 02:37 PM.
                        The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

The angle on that wisefab kit looks insane, even though they claim it's capable of 65*

Comment

Yeah - Super wide track and big angle looks funny.

https://vimeo.com/23230201
                            The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by swiftmini
                              This is that tdp shizzle in action at the bdc

WTF

Now if only they changed some things around, and the price is reasonable...

I'm thinking with max positive ackerman and some sway bar mounts this could be a very effective kit for all motorsports...

Suspension before power.

Comment

Working...
                              X