Increased rear track width handling changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased rear track width handling changes

I am planning on buying a new set of wheels and r-comps pretty soon. I have been considering running a 17X9" rim with 5" of backspacing with a 275 width tire on the rear, and 17x8" rims with 5" of backspacing with 245 width tires on the front. I believe that this is going to put the rear tires about 1.5" past the fenders on the rear while keeping the front near what it was.

How is this going to affect weight transfer, roll center, ect. And would this be an unwise descision?

What car, class, event, power, etc?

All things being equal, a wider track provides more grip. Your plan will provide more rear grip, but the car will understeer. I'd go with a matched set of 17x9s. If this is an autocross car, I'd go as narrow as you can to clear cones better. I don't have the measurements in front of me, but you should be able to get closer to 6" back spacing up front and more in the rear.

Comment

It's an 89 240sx used for autocross, running in x prepared, should once all is said and done make around 425bhp. I have found rims with the 5" backspacing for signifanctly less money than ones that will fit completely inside the fender wells.

Comment

I have a set of 245/40R17 Hoosier A6's with 8 HC for sale. The wear is even across the tread. They are the perfect size for 17x9 wheels, which is what I run. See photo below. Let me know if you are interested.

NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by josh_s13 View Post
          I am planning on buying a new set of wheels and r-comps pretty soon. I have been considering running a 17X9" rim with 5" of backspacing with a 275 width tire on the rear, and 17x8" rims with 5" of backspacing with 245 width tires on the front. I believe that this is going to put the rear tires about 1.5" past the fenders on the rear while keeping the front near what it was.

How is this going to affect weight transfer, roll center, ect. And would this be an unwise descision?
          It would change wheel rate.

Weight transfer is a function of CoG height and track width. Imagine a carpenter's square and using the end that is pointing up as a lever. Extend and contract the end that is laying on the ground. The amount of force on the lever is based on lateral acceleration.
          Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
          http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
            I have a set of 245/40R17 Hoosier A6's with 8 HC for sale. The wear is even across the tread. They are the perfect size for 17x9 wheels, which is what I run. See photo below. Let me know if you are interested.
            Details? Interested! PM me.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X