Oil coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil coolers

What is everyone running as far as oil coolers go?

I am looking to get a cooler for my power steering set up, but this is an area I have not previously explored. I found this one on eBay, but, it's EBAY. At the same time, I figure its pretty hard to mess up a small cooler, and if the stock cooling line works, any cooler should.

What do you guys think? I am mainly just trying to be cheap and save a few bucks.

Also, not that it says it used for engine and trans oil. IIRC the 240 ps set up calls for ATF.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-ROW-UNIVER...ht_2915wt_1159

RX7 oem oil coolers have an integrated thermostat. they can be had for very cheap (usually < $50 with lines). FC coolers are about twice the capacity of FD's. Also R1 FD's come with two coolers, which are mirrored, so usually ppl pick one or the other based on mounting.
    Originally posted by Jason M
    I have no chance to win without the Giken...

Comment

I run a small B&M Supercooler. Cheap, wide open so they get decent flow even at low speed, and give plenty of cooling. My oil temps usually hang around around the thermostat opening on track.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

That ebay cooler is the perfect size, and pretty cheap. Do any of you guys have any experience with them? I'd hate to have it crap out on me after only a few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
          That ebay cooler is the perfect size, and pretty cheap. Do any of you guys have any experience with them? I'd hate to have it crap out on me after only a few miles.
          Used FC cooler can probably be had for cheaper OR spend a few dollars more and pick up an Earls cooler.

Comment

The B&M stuff isn't much more than the eBay stuff, and it has NPT outlets so you're not stuck with smallish -8 fittings.

I have the ~5x7" core, plenty big enough. I think I paid around $45-50 a while ago

Comment

Something tells me the FC cooler doesnt have an fittings on it already, which would just complicate things.

Also, Def, I think I love you. (in a non homosexual way, of course....) I also had a question about my cage that I had built, and now needs to be cut out. I wanted to ask you if you know how much angle the main (b pillar) hoop can have, so it can clear my sunroof handle. Should I just PM you? I feel bad about posting all these threads because it makes me seem like I am not doing the research, when I am.

Comment

RX7 coolers take M22 to AN adapters, which are ~$10/each. Setrab makes them, among others (easy to find). I'm using one mainly for the built in thermostat, not because I have an RX7 lol

I think the FD core is something like 10"x8", FC is like 5"x 24"

Comment

Can you see the thermostat?
                  Last edited by logr; 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Yah it's external, but integrated.

Comment

Something tells me the FC cooler doesnt have an fittings on it already, which would just complicate things.

Also, Def, I think I love you. (in a non homosexual way, of course....) I also had a question about my cage that I had built, and now needs to be cut out. I wanted to ask you if you know how much angle the main (b pillar) hoop can have, so it can clear my sunroof handle. Should I just PM you? I feel bad about posting all these threads because it makes me seem like I am not doing the research, when I am.
                      Angle on the main hoop? I think most classes keep it to +/- 5 deg from vertical (which is quite a bit). Personally I'd be really nervous with an angled main hoop.

I could be wrong on that angle though, I'm not a cage builder.

Comment

Mocal 19 Row, really nice quality
                        TEAM FAIL RACING

Comment

On the cage, go to scca.com. click on club racing. On left side is a link to cars and rules. Download a rulebook from there. Build the cage to scca specs and it should be good enough for just about anything but land speed racing.
                          Originally posted by SoSideways
                          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                            On the cage, go to scca.com. click on club racing. On left side is a link to cars and rules. Download a rulebook from there. Build the cage to scca specs and it should be good enough for just about anything but land speed racing.
                            brb, going 500 in my s13

Comment

the FC oil cooler is made by calsonic. It's a nice unit.

but you're looking for a power steering cooler right? that's awfully big for one isn't it?
                              '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                              '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                              '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                              '81 BMW R65

Comment

Working...
                              X