Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to retrofit the s13 HUD cluster and HUD into an s13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to retrofit the s13 HUD cluster and HUD into an s13?

Pro's / cons?

Too much trouble and expense?
    1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
    1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
    2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

I'd say no, especially if you were doing the stupid expensive/hard to find front windshield as well.

Doesn't it only read up to 115 mph anyway? I hated my stock speedo because it'd be pegged on about any straight.

Get a Stack or AIM dash - it's what all the ballers are doing these days.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Worth it in what way?

You'd just need to swap the cluster, the subharness and the dash.

It's got a slow refresh rate. I much prefer analog. But I have a HUD dash in my car haha.

edit: the digital speedo goes past 115.

Comment

I bought the cluster at a semi local junkyard for a steal.

I can go back and get the dash and subharness + windshield as well for a very reasonable price.

I'm just wondering if there's a reason I shouldnt do it.

What's the speedo top out at?
        1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
        1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
        2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Prob doesn't work.

It's not worth the effort.

Comment

Mine stopped at 125, rpm kept rising though so i assumed that was its limit.

Cons: Having to take apart your dash and swap windshields just to see your speed in a different way.

I tossed the HUD dash due to it being cracked and replaced the windshield with a regular one due to the original condition difficult to see through and cost of a new being extreme.
            SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

don't see the point of swapping the windshield. just put a small piece of tint on the stock one.

I can't say it works but i've been wanting to try, you can see the numbers day and night just not when its bright out.

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Comment

I've had the HUD before, I think it's somewhat pointless. It's the same exact font size, etc that the digital dash has just a few inches further down. I didn't see it as any handier than just glancing at the regular speedo, your eyes still have to focus about the same either way. I also personally like analog speedometers better anyway.

If you really want it, then there's no real reason not to, but I would say it's not at all worth the effort.
                Blue Bayou Youtube Channel
                Blue Bayou Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Your Mom View Post
                  don't see the point of swapping the windshield. just put a small piece of tint on the stock one.

I can't say it works but i've been wanting to try, you can see the numbers day and night just not when its bright out.
                  A piece of reflective tint would work as that is what the Defi HUD uses. Also, when I had a HUD coupe. I don't remember it having the film insert in the windshield. However, I do know that the last time I had a windshield quoted one place accidentally quoted me $1300 because of the HUD specific one.

I personally prefer the HUD display in a 240 because of the centered tach and cleaner cluster. If it's worth the cost, of the HUD dash and HUD cluster, or not, that's a matter of personal preference.

Comment

I loved mine.

Not sure if it's worth it.

Comment

I took mine to 135 and my windshield doesn't have anything special on it

Comment

I replaced my hud windshield with a non-hud one......the digits are still very easy to see without the reflective patch. While I actually find the hud somewhat distracting at night (i cover it up on trips at night), I do like it around town. I do like the hud cluster layout, though.
                        -Dennis
                        92 240SX Coupe
                        93 MR2 Turbo
                        75 Celica GT
                        07 CBR 1000RR

Comment

You don't have to run the HUD with the digital cluster. I swapped the cluster from my parts coupe into my hatch and all I needed was the digital subharness.

It should be noted that in addition to the tachometer, the clusters vary from SOHC to DOHC. The cluster worked fine in my originally SOHC hatch, but when swapping everything over to a new DOHC shell none of the gauges worked. Not sure if it's a difference in the subharness or in the cluster itself, but you might want to make sure you get everything from the same model year.

Comment

I have/had a HUD in my POS. Man I hated that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DBM View Post
                              While I actually find the hud somewhat distracting at night (i cover it up on trips at night), I do like it around town. I do like the hud cluster layout, though.
                              Cover it up? Your digital cluster should have a knob that switches your speedometer from MPH to KM/H when turned and turns on/off your HUD when pressed... No need to cover anything up

I do agree with the layout statement though.

Comment

Working...
                              X