S2000 abs retrofit into s13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2000 abs retrofit into s13?

I have most of the s13 abs retrofit parts ready to go into my s13.

But I was talking with a local Ls swapped fd owner at the last autox an the subject of abs came up. He was telling me that lots of fd guys are ditching their abs units for s2000 ones.

Well, I know firsthand how good the Honda abs is, and now I'm wondering if any schassis guys have retrofitted the s2k abs.
    1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
    1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
    2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

I have not used one of this on a track car, but I know my Scion xB has the exact same unit. You may be able to get one cheaper out of a Toyota if you go that route.
    My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

This is relevant to my interest. I need some ABS.
      1992 LS13
      385whp/370tq

Comment

I've heard about this from a ton of people. I'd love to do it, but it's such a PITA to retrofit on a car with no ABS from the factory. I imagine the S2000 ABS would work great on a lightened S chassis.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

My car didn't come with abs.

I've acquired most everything for it though.

I'm hoping I can just use the s2k pump and abs controller in place of the s13 stuffs.

Idk how the sensors vary.

I'll keep digging.
          1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
          1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
          2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Is the s2k system four channel? If so, the stock rear sensors and brake lines won't work. You'd need sensors on each wheel (isn't the z32 or q45 set up that way?) and two brake lines running from the ABS unit to the rear wheels?

Comment

S2k ABS is amazing. Would be nice to have that on my 240.
              Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
              TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Are there people out there that have issues with the 240 system?

Mine works soooo well that I just don't see any reason to go through more hassle than necessary and am wondering why others do.

A j30 system should be an easy retrofit.

Yes, there are newer systems but the stock one works dang well for autox and track days, imo.

Comment

The stock stuff is ok, but its 3 channel, and not really tuned for higher mu tires.

Comment

As in the 275 A6's I run?

No stock abs system is designed for the grip we sometimes run.

Does 4 channel control the rear tires separately? Seems I read where they read separately but the puter ties them together for actuation so it is the same as a 3 channel for the abs.
                    Last edited by logr; 03-09-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by logr View Post
                      Does 4 channel control the rear tires separately? Seems I read where they read separately but the puter ties them together for actuation.
                      Nope. If you drop the torque on one but not the other the car can spin. I'd bet the s2k ABS works as three channel but has four for traction control, stability control, etc.

Comment

Nothing is specifically tuned for our setups off the shelf of course, but a stock S2000 is a lot closer to our cars than a stock S chassis is all im saying.

I think 3 channels can miss inside rear lockup on trail braking.

Comment

My general understanding is that the the OEM 4-line output systems didn't get started until they started integrating stability control and traction control with ABS. I know that's the case for BMW. The E36 versions have 4 wheel sensors and a brake force sensor on the brake booster but only 3 outputs. On the E46 they added traction control and stability management. They did away with the mechanical diffs and use the brakes and throttle override to limit wheelspin under accelleration. They added steering wheel position sensors and vehicle yaw sensors and use the brakes to straighten the car out. I know that on many of the new FWD cars you can't effectively use left-foot braking because when you do it, it cuts the throttle.

Before you commit to an ABS system that's integrated with stability management/ traction control, you need to figure out if the ABS system will still work without the rest of the system and sensors. The easy way is to find someone that's already done it and piggyback on their experience.
                          Don Johnson (really!)
                          Just so you know.

Comment

After reading this thread I did a little searching. I found that "Bill" from LPI racing (formerly Livermore Performance) made the swap into his FC race car. Other references to S2000 ABS swaps led back to this thread; http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1491.0 You might want to call LPI and ask for Bill, to get more background info.

I looked for stuff of Ebay and found that the pump/controllers and sensors are relatively inexpensive. It appears that the early versions were made by NISSIN and the later versions by BOSCH. The controllers are setup for a dual circuit/ diagonal split system.

Yes, I'm on nightshift again...,
                            Don Johnson (really!)
                            Just so you know.

Comment

These guys sell a kit for fitting the S2000 ABS system into the '91-2000 NSX. It's pricey but it's a source of info;

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...ystem_Upgrade/
                              Don Johnson (really!)
                              Just so you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X