Underbody Fuel Lines and Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underbody Fuel Lines and Setup

Someone had replaced the stock fuel lines with what appear to be slightly larger copper ones prior to me owning the car, unfortunately one is kinked in the are between the door and the rear subframe. Despite the kink, the car doesn't seem to suffer from a low fuel pressure...at least not on a stock daily T25.

I have an Aeromotive FPR and use the stock rail with a modified fitting on the end so that it can mount on a Freddy manifold.

FYI Future goals
    Stock bottom S13 SR20 GT2871R setup ~400whp on pump gas (supposedly 95 ron where I live).

Can anyone suggest what type of lines I can/should use on the underbody and if a change in size would be warranted.
    See my blog @ motoredge.wordpress.com

stock lines are good well beyond 400rwhp...basically on a T3 top mount GT3071R or larger.

You can replace the hard lines hard line from Summit, or you can go with Aeroquip or some other brand of fuel line, but you won't need anything like 8AN; 6AN will be fine.

Comment

Thanks, the hard lines are regular steel or a special material?

I don't have a Summit where I live.

Comment

Www.summitracing.com

Cheers
        Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

Thanks but I live in the Caribbean.

Comment

-6 an or 3/8" would likely be fine. Stock is about a -5 an.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yeah, that's the problem with just upgrading your hard lines. They're 8mm, which is nearly impossible to find around here (and probably more so in the islands), so you can't directly replace them. The best you'll wind up with is -6AN hard lines and convert the rest to 3/8" hose (from roughly 5/16"). Don't forget the 37* flare tool.

Anywhere near St. Maarten? I'll bring you a Summit shipment in June.
              She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Trinidad.

There are stuff available locally however I want to avoid the use of copper again.

I just wanted to confirm what was the best route to take especially considering my goal rather than just riding on the advice of one individual.

Comment

Able to source some Aeroquip braided -6AN fuel line locally.

Would this be suitable for underbody use? Any possibility of pressure drop?

Comment

No pressure drop, its fine to use. Make sure its secured very well, you can reuse modified OEM brake/fuel line brackets if you wish.

Comment

Copper tubing is tougher than braided line. Rubber lined hose will allow fuel to permeate it, so the car will real of raw gas if it sits for a while.

Why don't you do stainless steel hardline?

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                        Rubber lined hose will allow fuel to permeate it, so the car will real of raw gas if it sits for a while.
                        THIS is why I ask on here, several people including myself may not be aware of the negative effects of using certain lines especially long-term.

Originally posted by Def View Post
                        Why don't you do stainless steel hardline?
                        Is this the best method? I've been googling for suggestions.
                        The idea was to first find info on the most suitable material which would hopefully allow for a DIY install and then go in hunt of a product (and necessary tools.

Comment

SS or aluminum hardlines are probably the best method IMO.

Comment

Yes, if the line is some form of rubber and isn't specifically made to be run as fuel line under the car, it will probably smell like fuel as vapors escape. That's why the last time I did it I ran Aeroquip fuel lines that are constructed for that purpose, but it was overkill.

Def's got you covered with the easiest solution; stainless steel or aluminum hardlines.

Comment

Working...
                            X