Oval exhaust tubing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oval exhaust tubing?

I am in the market for a new exhaust, and would like something that provides the best ground clearance.

I found this, but the fact that it uses that type of tubing has me concerned that flow will not be great. I know that there are quite a few people on here that will have the knowledge to answer this for me, which is why I posted. The link below is a video to the aforementioned exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ83f...layer_embedded

there's no real problem with oval tube. I've seen it used many times on race cars. just need to make sure you buy appropriate size that gives you the cross-sectional area you need.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I believe that is the same size as a regular 3 inch exhaust would be. I have an SR20DET, which would mean that a 3 inch exhaust should work fine.

I guess what you're saying, is that if the overall area is the same, it will not hinder performance at all?

Comment

correct. 3" tube has an area of ~7sq in. pick some oval tube with an area of 7sq in and you're in business. I'm not sure if they call it 3" oval or if it's 3.5 or 4" or whatever..
        but yeah, the main issue is the cross-sectional area.
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Also, would having a round downpipe, then oval exhaust with round tips be a bad idea?

Would changing the flow characteristics so many times be a hindrance to the flow?

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about that- just make sure the transitions between them are smooth. it's no different than a small bend in the pipe.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You'd probably spend less and have less of a headache doing a 3" to dual 2.5" Y right off the turbo elbow, then after the cat area just use normal tubing, there really isnt any room to gain except in the downpipe area.

Comment

Dr Gas has oval exhaust tubing for a good price, but it is mild steel. Get an oval to round transition anytime you change between them. Oval if the same area flows just like a round tube.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                X