z214 c71 v Goodyear G19 r250 for autocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z214 c71 v Goodyear G19 r250 for autocross

What would be a faster autocross tire on asphalt? Hankook z214 in c71 compound in a 255 width or a Goodyear G19 slick in a 9" width in a R250 compound.

some info for you from people with experience..
    http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/for...13/scope/posts

I used the Z214 for road race once, and never really liked them. They were no faster than R888s, where I'm about 3-4 sec faster on a BFG-R1 on the same track.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I've not used the z214 before, so I cannot offer a direct comparison. However, I did use G19's (20x9.5x13 R250 compound) on my miata. Compared to similarly sized hoosier A6, and 215/50/13 V710, the g19 was much worse for the first 1/3 of a run, but much better for the last half. Since the grip level changed so much with heat, it made it quite difficult to know how much grip was available at any given time on the course. The cantilevered slicks were also not as easy to drive at the limit due to the ridiculously stiff sidewalls. They might work better in warmer climates, though.
      -Dennis
      92 240SX Coupe
      93 MR2 Turbo
      75 Celica GT
      07 CBR 1000RR

Comment

Matt, what compound of z214 did you use?
        -Dennis
        92 240SX Coupe
        93 MR2 Turbo
        75 Celica GT
        07 CBR 1000RR

Comment

Any idea of which tire will heat cycle out first?

Comment

I used the C71 compound.. got them 8-runs used from an autocrosser that had contingency tires to play with...
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You found C71's to be the same as R888's?! Weird. A friend of mine used R888's and then switched to C71's and got WAY faster in both PAX and raw, paxing #1 at our regional event in his second event on the C71 tires. He only got 6 events out of the tires before cording the shoulders on the front tires (H stock mazda 3). I guess it is the whole road race vs autocross thing. R888's don't get up to temp for autocross, and C71's do not need heat to work.
              General consensus with the guys I talked to (including a multitime SCCA national champ) is tha tthe C71 z214 compared quite favourably with the kumho V710, perhaps slightly faster, but does not last as long.

As for heat cycling, my G19 R250 slicks definitely started to get very noticably slower while still having half tread remaining. Usually my autocross tires run out of tread at about the same time that their grip is starting to really fall off. It was in 2006 that I ran the slicks on my miata, so perhaps goodyear has changed their rubber recipe since then.
              -Dennis
              92 240SX Coupe
              93 MR2 Turbo
              75 Celica GT
              07 CBR 1000RR

Comment

Z214's aren't too far off a Hoosier (depending on compound on each of course) on a track speed wise. Had a buddy do a ton of back to back testing to see which one was faster, and the Hoosier is marginally so, but not much ahead of a Z214.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                X