Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SR20 Main Cap Girdle Differences (why have I never noticed this?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20 Main Cap Girdle Differences (why have I never noticed this?)

I was going through some of my stuff this weekend (prepping to sell some stuff) and noticed that on the engines I have, each one has a different main girdle.

The top one, isn't flat across between the main bolts. It's recessed in the middle.

The middle one is flat/even between the main bolts, but you'll notice on the upper 'section' there are no recesses

Then the bottom one has the same flat/even section between the bolts, but it has the 3 triangle recesses in it.

Just curious as to if anyone else has noticed this before...I actually never have, and found it interesting to say the least. Curious as to the strength differences between them all. I always find these little changes 'funny' between the engines, even though they are all the same.

Now the main caps, I know that the 'flat top' ones are older redtop/blacktop, and the '3 point' (for lack of better term) is for newer, but here is a picture of that just for the heck of it

Just some stuff to note/be curious about I guess.
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

That's interesting. I'm going to have to look through some pics of my engine repair and see what I have. Anyone have some theories on the changes? Perhaps more efficient material use?
    My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

that's interesting, Can you pull any numbers off to try and get an Idea of how the parts evolved?

I have never had more than 1 SR apart at one time so I've never compared,

Everytime I take apart a KA I find differences in the castings (esp US truck motors VS the Jap assembled 240sx motors,,,all the castings are completely different, Japanese parts look way more refined as far as having finished radii and less casting flash etc.

blah blah blah....are we really this big of losers....

I guess that's rhetorical,

what do you expect to read this far down in a ramble?

Quit!

Ok im done.

really..
      Do VE's have a girdle?
      I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

VEs do not have a girdle. But don't you have 2 sitting right there to check you lazy arse?

They also have a 4 cwt crank.

Interesting girdle differences, what's the weight difference on the middle and bottom one? I imagine less than half a pound or so. I'm thinking that was an accounting move with some mandate of "remove material where you can." 25 cents here, 50 cents there, it starts to become real money when you pump out hundreds of thousands of those suckers.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

there is some debate about how many CW's are on the Crank, I will tear into the bottom halves later this week with any luck
          I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Internet bro knowledge states 4 cw - you shall bow down to internet bro knowledge.... bro.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Top girdle ive seen one or twice on S13 SR's (usualy with the different oil pick up bolt
              Middle girdle is the common S14/5 vvt unit
              Bottom one ive seen once, i think it was off a SR20DE S15

Top cap is what most FWD's use
              Bottom cap is the more common one for S13/14/15 SR-DET

For higher boost the 8CW works a lot better than the 4CW, while the 4CW is nice for lower torque higher RPM they do deflect with higher HP setups

Comment

dont bro me bro

im not your bro bro
                I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Don't taze me
                  bro

I forgot to look tonight. I was busying putting a clutch in, and cleaning my ****.
                  'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                  [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                  [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                  X