5-Lug Set-Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-Lug Set-Ups

CN: What 5 lug front hubs do you use? OEM S14 or Aftermarket?

Considering converting my S13 to 5 lug and am curious as to what 5 lug hubs members here are using.

For rear hubs its straight forward (Z32, S14 SE), but for the front there is the OEM S14 option or aftermarket (Peak Performance, GTO, Attain etc). From my research, cost new is about the same (S14 spindles, hub, ball joint vs conversion hub). Used market is about the same as well, give or take. Any reason to take one over the other?

One reason I would consider an aftermarket front S13 conversion hub is for the reason that the wheel bearing is replaceable on its own and I believe uses the same bearing as the 4 lug S13 front (which is replaceable unlike the S14).

Although a new front S14 hub and wheel bearing is only $90 (from West Covina Nissan). If the PP hub does use the S13 wheel bearing, that itself is $95 (from West Covina Nissan), so the benefit of a replaceable bearing is negated.

I am considering it mainly for lightweight 17x9 wheel selection (RPF1 etc for 255/40 tires), as the only reasonably light wheel I've found in 4x114.3 that isn't custom and expensive is the FN01RC, which I don't particularily like the aethestics of. Lots of knock-off cast wheels are available in 4x114.3, but I'd rather support the companies actually designing and developing their product.

Slight downside to OEM S14 spindles is the need to drill out the struts. I don't mind this, but something that wouldn't be required with aftermarket hubs. I would assume quality and surface finish would be better on the OEM hub, but I could be wrong, I've not had the chance to compare OEM with an aftermarket hub.

Most likely I am overthinking this, just making sure i'm not missing anything.

cheers
    -Evan

Regarding the drilling of your struts - You could always use a sleeve to make the S14 spindle holes (14mm) accept your S13 (12mm diameter) bolts.

...and I like your chances with an OEM bearing, versus the "conversion" hubs...with respect to longevity/reliability.

My original S14 front hubs are still going strong at 130,000 miles. LOTS of track use.

- Brian
    '96 240SX | KA-T - 320rwhp @ 12psi | ~2700lbs
    Koni 8611 & GC's - 600/450 | RPF1's - 17x9.5

Comment

J30 front hubs.

You just need a new snap ring groove machined into them or buy them machined already then your s13 bearings will fit. This is the cheapest route and you retain all OEM components. It should cost you less than $100.
      S12 || N13 || S13 || B16

Comment

Interesting, never heard of using J30 front hubs before! I will look into that. Do you know the knurl for the J30 hubs? I.e. which studs fit, S14 front, S13 front or other.

With regards to S14 spindles, I would rather drill the strut than deal with making/buying sleeves.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

cheers
        -Evan

Comment

Originally posted by Champagne View Post
          CN: What 5 lug front hubs do you use? OEM S14 or Aftermarket?

Considering converting my S13 to 5 lug and am curious as to what 5 lug hubs members here are using.

For rear hubs its straight forward (Z32, S14 SE), but for the front there is the OEM S14 option or aftermarket (Peak Performance, GTO, Attain etc). From my research, cost new is about the same (S14 spindles, hub, ball joint vs conversion hub). Used market is about the same as well, give or take. Any reason to take one over the other?

One reason I would consider an aftermarket front S13 conversion hub is for the reason that the wheel bearing is replaceable on its own and I believe uses the same bearing as the 4 lug S13 front (which is replaceable unlike the S14).

Although a new front S14 hub and wheel bearing is only $90 (from West Covina Nissan). If the PP hub does use the S13 wheel bearing, that itself is $95 (from West Covina Nissan), so the benefit of a replaceable bearing is negated.

I am considering it mainly for lightweight 17x9 wheel selection (RPF1 etc for 255/40 tires), as the only reasonably light wheel I've found in 4x114.3 that isn't custom and expensive is the FN01RC, which I don't particularily like the aethestics of. Lots of knock-off cast wheels are available in 4x114.3, but I'd rather support the companies actually designing and developing their product.

Slight downside to OEM S14 spindles is the need to drill out the struts. I don't mind this, but something that wouldn't be required with aftermarket hubs. I would assume quality and surface finish would be better on the OEM hub, but I could be wrong, I've not had the chance to compare OEM with an aftermarket hub.

Most likely I am overthinking this, just making sure i'm not missing anything.

cheers
          -Evan
          The main advantage to the S14 OEM solution is that the S14 uses a bigger, and therefore, stronger bearing on the front. The OEM bearings are non-replaceable but they are serviceable. They can be disassembled and re-packed with some of that groovy grease like Neo-Synthetic/Red Line/etc so they should last a good long time. You really should do that anyway before they're installed. There are places that sell sleeves for running S14 hubs on an S13 strut but I just reamed mine out and used the bigger bolts.

The complication factor is that, while you can put the S14 knuckle on the S13 LCA by changing ball-joints, the steering stops are different between them. The S13 stops when the tie-rod end hits a pad on the LCA. The S14 stops when a bump on the knuckle hits a pad on the LCA, and the pads are not in the same place. That said, an enterprising person can work around it. The S14 LCA is a little longer so it gives you a wider track and more inside wheel clearance but also increases SAI, which isn't necessarily good. FWIW, I went with all S14 components to keep it matched.

I'm using ARP studs. They're an EVO application on one end and a WRX application on the other end.
          Don Johnson (really!)
          Just so you know.

Comment

Attain hubs for me. 2 seasons of track use so far. They are a really nice piece
            TEAM FAIL RACING

Comment

FNO1RC's have been discontinued.

Comment

I did not realize there was a size difference or about the steering stops, good to know. Yes I've bookmarked the MotoIQ article on repacking them. Loved Project Silvia back in SCC days.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

cheers
                -Evan

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
                  The S14 LCA is a little longer so it gives you a wider track and more inside wheel clearance but also increases SAI, which isn't necessarily good.
                  On a McPherson strut wouldn't the SAI be equal for a given camber? Ie if the lower ball joint is moved out, the camber would become negative, so the strut mount would also need to be moved out to maintain the camber setting, giving the same SAI? Or am I missing something?

Also what is undesirable about an increased SAI? I guess it would decrease the scrub radius and maybe steering feel?

Comment

fronts I used a Z32 brake rotor to match up the stud holes and opened them up on a lathe. the tossed in some ARP wheel studs. going 4+ years strong. Had to shave down one of the ribs on the back side of the hub so the stud would sit flush. I also repacked those with bel- rey grease.

after hearing about the front j30 option, i'm eager to find out more info.
                    Last edited by Invisible_Saddle; 02-22-2012, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I am unsure about the stud knurls, but the info shouldn't be hard to find if you just cross reference Nissan part numbers.

This thread pretty much covers everything. http://forums.nicoclub.com/hybrid-ho...0-t346514.html

There is a guy on NICO who sells the hubs already machined.He sand blasts them too so you can throw some paint on them. They also come with all the hardware minus the s13 bearing. http://forums.nicoclub.com/j30-front...r-t532979.html
                      S12 || N13 || S13 || B16

Comment

Some more info on machining the hubs for a retaining clip:
                        here and here

Going to go find some J30 hubs!

Comment

Something to watch out for, i've done this already with a set of timken replacement bearings, everything went fine, got some national bearings a while back and took them to the same guy with hubs for machining, and pressing back in, the national bearings were larger than they were supposed to be and was told they couldnt be put into those hubs.

Comment

I'll probably stick with OEM, from West Covina Nissan replacement S13 bearings are $95, so not much more than Rock Auto etc.

Can anyone confirm the measurement for the location of the new retaining ring groove?

Comment

Just measure your old vs the new, then cut, or specify to your machinist.

I say this because i've seen numbers that dont look familiar to when I had mine done.

Comment

Working...
                              X