Fan questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan questions

I have a few questions about my a/c fan that a buddy wired up to run constantly a few years ago. Ok, do you want your fan to be running while you're driving down the road or would that be blocking the air that needs to be flowing towards the motor, or does the fan just being there, running or not, block the air flow to the motor? I have a rad cooling plat & a front under protect. Motor does not run hot while normal driving. (KA24DE)

I is confuse.

Now i know from past track experience (drifting) that the constant running a/c fan helped a little, but i also needed to reinstall my clutch fan to keep temps down.

If i do reinstall my clutch fan again, do i not want the A/C fan to run constantly?

Should a wire the a/c fan up to a switch?

I know on my SR that if the A/C itself is on that temps will climb when I'm at idle (but not really while driving). I shut the a/c off and it goes down. So personally, I find more comfort in having a switch.
    97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

I have a sr also, ac fan (pep boys fan) wired and working like factory stop and go traffic at rest temps reach 200 as soon as I drive off temp drops to 192 or so and stay in and this is in sunny south Florida.

Comment

Interesting, but i still want someone to chime in with a more detailed answer for my problem...thanks though.

Comment

wire the fan to a temp switch.

the obstruction of the fan behind the radiator is not of significant concern, running or otherwise, i assume running it presents less of an impedance to flow probably still actually pulling it's own weight so-to-speak.

If you don't Have AC and you kept the fan just for cooling, then it is a cooling fan and needs to be switched by a temp switch.
          I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Moore View Post
            I have a few questions about my a/c fan that a buddy wired up to run constantly a few years ago. Ok, do you want your fan to be running while you're driving down the road or would that be blocking the air that needs to be flowing towards the motor, or does the fan just being there, running or not, block the air flow to the motor? I have a rad cooling plat & a front under protect. Motor does not run hot while normal driving. (KA24DE)

I is confuse.

Now i know from past track experience (drifting) that the constant running a/c fan helped a little, but i also needed to reinstall my clutch fan to keep temps down.

If i do reinstall my clutch fan again, do i not want the A/C fan to run constantly?

Should a wire the a/c fan up to a switch?
            The easiest way to do this would be to go to the auto parts store and buy one of those thermostats that fit between the fins on your ratiator and wire your fan to it. The one's I've seen have a knob or screw where you can adjust when it comes on. Something like this;

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRP2061A_____#
            Don Johnson (really!)
            Just so you know.

Comment

My 240 is still stock powerwise, and street driven. I have the clutch fan removed and the A/C fan hooked up factory (no A/C though)...it still comes on as a cooling fan (dk temp) when temps start rising, and I never have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                wire the fan to a temp switch.
                Noted.

the obstruction of the fan behind the radiator is not of significant concern, running or otherwise, i assume running it presents less of an impedance to flow probably still actually pulling it's own weight so-to-speak.
                Gotcha, another question... the air coming through the radiator, does that make the fan turn the same direction as when the fan is on?

If you don't Have AC and you kept the fan just for cooling, then it is a cooling fan and needs to be switched by a temp switch.
                Nope, no a/c, & thanks.

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
                The easiest way to do this would be to go to the auto parts store and buy one of those thermostats that fit between the fins on your ratiator and wire your fan to it. The one's I've seen have a knob or screw where you can adjust when it comes on. Something like this;

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRP2061A_____#
                Oh nice, thanks!

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                My 240 is still stock powerwise, and street driven. I have the clutch fan removed and the A/C fan hooked up factory (no A/C though)...it still comes on as a cooling fan (dk temp) when temps start rising, and I never have a problem.
                Gotcha, thanks!

Comment

Unless the fan completely sucks, it will still help air flow through the core, but at higher speeds, WITH PROPER DUCTING, it's not really needed (above about 50-60 mph in most cars).

If you don't duct up to the radiator most of the air just leaks around it.

If you're going to wire up a fan to run full time, either do it with one fan and switch the other one manually (or via a temp switch for a more DD based car), or run both at low speed if you can do this (like with Altima fans, which I recommend). Then you can kick it on high speed if you really need more cooling.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Ok thanks Def. I totally forgot to mention that there is a problem with my fan. It was fine for the longest time, but now i have to unplug the fan when i park the car over night because my (old) buddies wiring job was flawed...the fan will turn itself on & drain the battery. (i just bought a new battery because of this).

He did this to a few of our friends cars & mine lasted the longest without any issues...& from what i've been hearing, his wiring idea was a horrible one. I wanna get mine taken care of before it gets any worse.

Comment

Uhhh.... I don't even know what to say about that other than rip out ALL the **** he did and start over.

Get some Altima fans while you're at it.
                      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yea...its lookin like that's what i'm gonna have to do. Thanks buddy.

Comment

Working...
                        X