Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s14 godspeed sway bars

Hi guys

I was thinking of getting some godspeed sway bars front and rear are they any good? anyone here use them and like them? was wondering if they are a quality part.

Bases on experience with their other parts, they're junk copies of something that wasn't properly designed in the first place. I wont be buying any more of their products, no matter how cheap they are.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Aside from them being shaped like junk, how useable are they for a very temporary application? I'm interested in working on a custom bar but in the meantime I need a quick/cheap solution. Actually looking at less than godspeed haha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-240SX...#ht_967wt_1014

Interested in cutting the ends off and welding a blade on each end with 3 adjustable holes. Anybody running these things? I know they're Tanabe copies but are they moly or just basic steel? Hollow like Tanabe? Light? etc? Far from permanent, but (what I've found so far anyways) a great cost effective temporary fix. Thanks!

Comment

They're copies of Tanabe bars. Stiffness would be the same for the same diameter and wall thickness regardless of "chromoly" or mild steel. The stiffness of steels are all roughly the same, from your crappy cast iron up to super high strength steels.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I dont see how their bars could be any bad. its a bar of metal, it provides spring rate by passively bending.

End links are always a point of failure though with any bar, and some companies use cheap endlinks.
          Time is the school in which we learn; Time is the fire in which we burn.

Comment

instead of starting a new thread those with progressive sway bars on a 240 does your front bar hang very low? mine does but i'm also in the middle of building my car so im not sure if i just made a mistake and installed it the wrong way round but i doubt that

Comment

Just FYI, this is how the stock bar sits on my S14.. My Sus Tech bar fits just about the same.

When I put a splitter and undertray on the car, the bar just barely rubs the undertray when the suspension is at full compression (where the bar is lowest). The undertray starts about 3" below the edge of the front bumper and is straight to the engine crossmember. If your bar is anything below that, then you might have an issue.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Is that the 1.5 ton harbor freight jack ?? ^_^

Comment

Yup.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I like mine it just doesnt get my car high enough i cant make use of my impact gun

Comment

Might need to bleed the jack. I have to bleed mine fairly often. It doesn't go terribly high, but it goes high enough to get under the car if I have to. Its my secondary jack tho... have a big craftsman steel jack I keep in the garage for everyday use and this one is there for the quick stuff and track use.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

sooo, the consensus is that this swaybar should be fine is what I gathered from reading the comments, since as def pointed out the steel would be the same strength as the other steels.

Alright cool =) got my answer.

Thanks.

On another note, how would this change the cars characteristics if any of you guys do own this sway bar in particular?

I guess I didn't state why I would want these, I just wanted to make my daily driver grip more, I notice that when I turn in a little hard the rear feels like it wants to come loose, especially in slow speeds.

I read that a bigger swaybar can effectively reduce the "oversteer" effect on our cars, but am not certain. So, if you guys know please let me know that would be aweeesome =)
                        Last edited by s14akouki; 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Upgrading any swaybar is directly analogous to increasing stiffness on that end of the car period. The only difference is this stiffness is only added when the left or right suspension tries to move higher or lower than the other one so it will not affect ride harshness. In short, Sway bars effectively increase your spring rate, but only under lateral g's.

this will reduce roll and shift weight across that corner of the car faster. So following the basic formula, Increasing front stiffness will balance the car towards more understeer, rear would balance the car more towards oversteer.

As always how it effects your car will depend on what is causing your handling problems in the first place.

If you are having understeer problems due to say alignment changes during body roll, a front sway bar might actually DECREASE understeer and same with the rear.

Its also easy to imagine that since a swaybar only begins to function when it begins to "bend" (from one side of the car trying to move higher than the other) swaybars have little effect on initial turn in, they will help in later stages of cornering though.

If I were you, I would check the status of your bushings and your alignment. Oversteer tendencies at low speeds are not typical S chassis behavior and sway bars are usually overkill unless you are trying to fine tune handling balance without affecting your springs and dampers.

But.....there is no real down side except money out of ur pocket
                          Last edited by ZorRtwice; 02-10-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

My car came with Godspeed sways. I wouldn't have bought them personally, not a fan of crush bends. I have a Sikky front sway bar now and still have the Godspeed in the rear. I haven't had any problems but don't exactly have much to compare them with.

Comment

Oh derp. Also.

Im really not knowledgeable about how those particular sway bars will affect your car...but I remembered something I wanted to say because it looks like you might want to know it too.

you might not notice any handling difference when changing "both" bars. The car will roll less overall but a car is like an algebra equation. if you add something to one side, and add something to the other side the equation still has the same balance and so does a car.

Changing handling is about changing one side, proportionally to the other. So if you are having an oversteer problem and you stiffen the front swaybar and it gets rid of it ..stiffing the rear will just make it similar to how it was before.

but if you get both then you can tinker with them a lot of people run without rear bars entirely. Id only run a rear bar (seriously for speedy purposes, not goofing around trying to make it slide better) if I had the power to need softer rear springs and squat..

8edit

Thats something ive been strugling to understand more lately too. Slip angle can happen from weight transfer as well as power. And handling is all about slip angle really. More power will increase slip angle on the wheels where its being used ...so in reality with more power the less stiffness you need on the drive wheels and it becomes more about increasing the front's slip to keep up with the rear. Ugh im drunk pay no attention
                              Last edited by ZorRtwice; 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X