s13 coupe weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s13 coupe weight

so i ran my coupe across the scales last night at the local ta and well according to the scale it weighed in at 2640lbs which is about i guess 50lbs less than a fully loaded coupe. heres the kicker my coupe is fully gutted, has a tube front end all factory metal from the strut towers forward has been removed, pop up headlights and acc are removed, frp seat driver factory pass seat, stripped down wiring harness only 6 wires running from ft to rear of car, rear deck removed, standalone engine harness, hvac system completely removed from cond-hvac case, i dont really know where i can trim more weight other than the pass seat and the suspention. the only thing thats been added is about 90ft of 1.5x.120 dom for the cage that i put in. just out of curiosity do this number seem legit considering everything. id like to get the car down to around 2300-2400lbs.

Sounds about right. Most tube frame front ends I've seen are substantially stronger and heavier than the stock sheet metal up there, so I doubt you saved all that much weight with that.

Your cage is about 130 lbs of weight, so your car is actually more like 2500 lbs.

Keep in mind stuff like brakes and suspension can add up to quite a bit of weight differential in cars, like an easy 40-80 lbs.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Mine weighs 2235lbs with more than a quarter tank of gas, but has no cage, no tube frame, Silvia front, no passenger seat, no dash, aluminum rear bumper support, Z32 rear uprights, CE/TE wheels, 'glass hood, 'glass deck lid, etc.
      S13
      1:31.xxx CW/CCW SoW
      1:04.837 CW HTM
      ?? Chuckwalla
      ?? BW13

Comment

front bumper support?

Comment

nope the 2640 was with me in it I forgot about that variable soo dry weight with fill tank of gas im guessing would b around 2450 without me. im going to get it corner balanced as soon as my suspention gets in and get an offical acurate no.

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
            Mine weighs 2235lbs with more than a quarter tank of gas, but has no cage, no tube frame, Silvia front, no passenger seat, no dash, aluminum rear bumper support, Z32 rear uprights, CE/TE wheels, 'glass hood, 'glass deck lid, etc.
            ...ummmmm, thinking they are talking about S14 Coupes

Comment

Originally posted by 95SILVIA14 View Post
              nope the 2640 was with me in it I forgot about that variable soo dry weight with fill tank of gas im guessing would b around 2450 without me. im going to get it corner balanced as soon as my suspention gets in and get an offical acurate no.
              That's pretty light with a full cage. Can't really go much lighter on these cars after that without a ton of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                That's pretty light with a full cage. Can't really go much lighter on these cars after that without a ton of work.
                Yeah I'm at 2550 w/ me and 1/4 tank of fuel (2390 w/o me). I've run out of large chunks of weight to remove. I'm now going through the car removing every little thing that's not needed. The last large item is the windshield and I just don't want to deal with a Lexan windshield yet.
                NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                  Yeah I'm at 2550 w/ me and 1/4 tank of fuel (2390 w/o me). I've run out of large chunks of weight to remove. I'm now going through the car removing every little thing that's not needed. The last large item is the windshield and I just don't want to deal with a Lexan windshield yet.
                  yikes....

I really am surprised at how much cages weigh, I have a not very prepped s13 hatch with SR20 and related turbo and piping, and with a half tank of gas and no driver, it was 2400. I wonder how light i can get it before the cage goes in?
                  I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                    yikes....

I really am surprised at how much cages weigh, I have a not very prepped s13 hatch with SR20 and related turbo and piping, and with a half tank of gas and no driver, it was 2400. I wonder how light i can get it before the cage goes in?
                    put that bish on a diet.

I would get larger DOM chromoly so you can run a thinner wall vs. its steel counterpart of even the same DOM

Comment

I have no idea what my shell weighs right now, but I've had 3 people pick it up before. (no drive train right now).

I spent a lot of time drilling spot welds out of EVERY little bracket possible in the thing. Even on the underside of the chassis (seat belt reinforcements). I still need to remove all of the brackets on the firewall and start speed holing everything. I'm really hoping to get into the 2200 range (with composite body panels/roof) with mine, but my cage is going to be very extensive, so we shall see...
                      My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

If your cage is gonna be extensive, why not gut your doors or run fiberglass/CF/kevlar/whatever doors? Thought about using lexan at all? I assume you've made your headlights fixed or gone with S13 front?

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                          yikes....

They get stupid fat in a hurry. Even my roll bar was something like 65-70 lbs I think.

Comment

The headlights are fixed units. well im going to make a smaller rear bumper reinforcement cut out the trunk area and a few other things see what i can do

Comment

Cages, even for bare minimum units - expect to add 180-200+ lbs by the time you add all the proper bases welded in. They add a fair chunk of weight - thus why us SM solo cars will not put them in.

FYI.... Logr's SM coupe comes in the lightest out of the country at just over 2300 lbs in race trim, no driver. Mine's next around 2340 - on 18 x 10's. Logr runs 15 x 10 like Jason. Both are SR powered, and we have to run full interior minus rear seats, can change our driver and passenger seats, but have to run full glass, full dash, full carpeting, full underpad, stock doors, interior trim etc. All we can replace is the trunk lid, hood and bumper covers. Otherwise we have to run full rebar including tow hooks, front and rear, cannot tub the front end. These cars also run Aero, which adds weight back to the picture. So essentially "street legal" cars - yet we are not able to fully take advantage of weight savings like a lot of you street and track cars can. We both feel that there is more weight savings to be had IE: rear cel, carbon/kevlar front and rear covers and fenders, bracketry made from billet, carbon pedestals etc. we can get our cars down to the 2280 minimum weight.....but the $$ involved to achieve the mins increases at an astronomical rate to return.... - and seeing how the top cars are much porkier - we see the investment better spent on driving skill and tuning.

Only in XP trim was Jim Bennett able to get his coupe down under 2100, possibly 2000 lbs with an RB...but Prepared rules allow a LOT more gutting and stripping.

Losing weight is the cheapest method to make your car go faster.....but it comes off in decreasing increments. You really really have to be stead-fast if you want to get your car down in weight. I took my car down to a complete bare shell in the air....., no glass, no doors, nothing..... then rebuilt it in 3 weeks time from top to bottom weighing every single component and comparing to different year/model legal items to find which had the lightest option. We used 3 different scales on each piece, and built the car to be the lightest it could be within our ruleset. Even painting the car and vinyling it was painful as I know I added weight, but the ugly factor vs the extra 8 lbs of weight meant me sleeping at night knowing my car was not the ugliest duckling at every event. Hell, the A Mod guys even factor their vinyl and paint into their weights when they do calculations - white being the lightest colour since it has no pigment - thus why Joe's A mod cars are all white. My car car for instance I rebuilt as many suspension arms as possible out of aluminum, and bucked up for aluminum rod ends with aluminum spacers and titanium bolts to help save a few pounds. My exhaust system is under 3 feet long and weighs under 5 lbs. I run ugly Ebay carbon fiber seats because they weigh 3 lbs less than my Sparco Pro 2000's. My seat brackets are tig welded aluminum. My 18 x 10.5 rims are 3 piece, and weigh less than 16 lbs each. I ground down my brake pads to under 60% to help save more weight. My last set of wheel spacers I drilled and counter drilled until I cheese-holed them down by 74% from original weight. I never top up my fluids to the very top to save reduce capacity. My hood pins for my trunk are aluminum as are the nuts. My hood prop rod I hand bent aluminum to reduce weight. Some bolts in my car have been hollowed to reduce mass. I hollowed my splitter supports and hand tapped them to use aluminum rod ends because the Longacres ones were steel and too heavy. I build my own battery that comes in under 3.5 lbs. My clevis pins are all drilled out. ....................... This is the disease we call weight-fanatics.....and can sometimes really make you lose sleep at night in the quest to build the fastest and lightest gidget ....... just because !!

You folks that don't have rules to follow....HELL....you can have a field day in taking weight off your cars...... (doors to skins, glass removal, dash removal, underpads and carpeting, rebars, tow hooks, )

I think for the majority of cars on this forum, they are still street driven vehicles that see both street and track events, so you have to keep in mind this when building. Not many of you have trailer queens like Jason, Logr, PJ or I do, so we think really outside the box when we design and build our stuff since we know we rarely see 100 mph and the cycles/abuse we see on our cars is much less than daily driven cars.
                              Last edited by PDM075; 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X