wheels I am looking at. opinions pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheels I am looking at. opinions pls

I am looking at a set of volk re30 17x7.5 with 225/40/17 re-11's for $1000.

I know 7.5 is quite narrow on an s13 but these are really good wheels and tires at a great price. Am i wasting my time/money getting a wheel that narrow ( I already have buddy club 17x8 and 17x9 wheels on the car). The tires alone are worth $800 really and I know that SCC's project silvia ran the same size but they prob got them for free. Am I out to lunch or is this a good buy? Thanks

Too narrow IMO. The offset is probably pretty weak as well.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Buy and sell if you think you can turn a dollar on em. Never hurts to gain a commission off of a deal.
      Originally posted by Matt93SE
      in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Yea, Project Silvia used that size, but I was being naive and silly when I did it. My logic was this: I was going to use 225/45-17 tires, since that was a very common size with lots of applications at reasonable prices. 7.5 is the standard size most tire companies use when they spec a 225/45-17, so that seemed like the right one.

It took many years for me to figure out you could get more grip from the same size tire by running a wider wheel in it (to a point, of course..) Most of the R-comp stuff I ended up running later was 235 anyway, so a wider wheel really would have been nice.

No regrets on the Volks, though. They're the only wheels I've ever had that take my abuse and stay round...

-Dave
        stories about crappy cars!--> www.eyesoreracing.com

Comment

What about for use as my street/rain setup? After all on the street and on the track in the wet You do not need/want as big of a footprint as I understand it. Thanks.

Dave when is motoiq going to do a a project silvia update?

Comment

There's a story on MotoIQ about why there's been no update. http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ct-silvia.aspx Basically there was a lot of headwork being done, the block sat open for a long time and ruined it. So now there's a full top to bottom engine rebuild.
            Last edited by cdlong; 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cdlong View Post
              There's a story on MotoIQ about why there's been no update. http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ct-silvia.aspx Basically there was a lot of headwork being done, the block sat open for a long time and ruined it. So now there's a full top to bottom engine rebuild.
              Yeah I've read that last article; just hoping for an inside scoop on when we can expect the next instalment.

Comment

To narrow. I ran 17x7.5 CE28 wheels for a while... light and beautiful, but sold them off because once you start putting down more power it just isn't enough tire .
                -Monty

Comment

Working...
                X