Newbie Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help

Okay so I finally decided to sell my SCCA E Production BMW 2002 and just recently purchased an E Prod 240sx (3 valve). Anyway my learning curve is steep trying to get the car ready for the upcoming season. Decided I would throw this one out there to see if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction. One of the things I would like to do right off the bat is switch the rolled steel fenders for fiberglass ones. Is there a company that makes a "stock" appearing fender that is flared. I ran wild boxed flares on the BMW and looked for ones for the Nissan but most I run into have "slits" or "gills". Right now the rolled fenders barely cover the slick looking from above so I would like to do it right, I think they just increased the track a little also.

My second question is with the ball joint. Right now the cantilevered slick is rubbing against the ball joint where it connects to the knuckle. The strange part is that it is rubbing on the inside "top" portion of the tire, not the sidewall. It is barely rubbing but you can definitely see where it is hitting where the tire and wheel meet (not touching the wheel at all). So just looking for suggestions on possible solutions. Literally if the ball joint sat just a hair higher it might not rub. I thought maybe a heim joint but I think they are just as as "wide" as the ball joint. Can't run any more spacers, not enough meat on the longer wheel studs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for helping this Nissan newbie.

Dan Rolfe

Dan, welcome to the forum. Which one did you buy? I was really tempted to buy Bill Jones car, but I couldn't talk the wife into it. Racing my car in STU.

Can't help you with the ball joint and can only sorta help you with the fiberglass. Go to prodracing.com and search for fiberglass there. There are several threads about fg parts there for other cars but I forget the sites. Hard to look on my phone.

There are also some brands of JDMy0 type stuff that fits your description, but its more $$ and hard to find without vents and crap.

Wish I could help more.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Matt,
      I ended up buying Bill's car. Bill and Sam did an excellent job building the car and I am now just going through it and trying to get it ready to race. Truthfully the only problem with the car is that it sat for so long. I miss the BMW but looking forward to the challange of the new car. I have already talked to all the prod guys about fender flairs but no one seems to make them for the 240sx. Plenty of Z fenders and 510 but nothing for the S13. I found a stock "looking" fender, Duraflex, with a 30mm flair but I am not sure if that is enough. I am planning on pulling the motor this weekend and checking everything out and hopefully just buttoning it back up and then onto the body and suspension. I know one of the solid lifters broke so I know I have to fix that (using "elephant" feet from a volkswagon). The ball joint has me stumped.
      Dan

Comment

If you end up going with the Duraflex, just let us know and we can probably discount it. We are direct with Extreme Dimensions / Carbon Creations.

I will try to dig a bit and see what I can find.
        sigpic
        || Endurance Motorports ||

Comment

Are you sure it is rubbing on the ball joint? I am pretty sure it is tucked up behind the rotor and am having a hard time seeing how you could hit it with any tire. The tie rod end might be possible in which case, there are alternatives.

Comment

Oops, that is what I meant to type last night. It is the tie rod end not ball joint, duhhhh.

Comment

Glad to see someone picked it up. I was drooling over that a lot recently, and just couldnt' pull the trigger. should be a really fun car.

Are you using stock tie rod ends still? for EP, you can modify the spindle quite a bit, so I would expect to see something already done with that. either shorten the arms on the spindles so you have quicker steering (and it moves the arm away from the tire), or simply go to a rod end on the end and the smaller diameter should help some.

I have a friend locally with an S13, and he just modified his stock fenders w/ generic flares and fiberglass/resin. I thought I rmemebered seeing some S13 fenders somewhere out there though. I know people make flared overfenders for the rear like the RX7 guys use... I had a set for my S14, but sold them to a friend since I wasn't allowed to use them in STU.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Shorten the arm, if it is allowed. 1/2" will give you 2.25 turns lock to lock.

While you are working on the spindle, might as well lower the ball joint to roll center too.
                Last edited by logr; 01-27-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by logr View Post
                  Shorten the arm, if it is allowed. 1/2" will give you 2.25 turns lock to lock.

While you are working on the spindle, might as well lower the ball joint to roll center too.
                  This.

I would also just fiberglass on the stock fenders if it were me. Just cut them up then add on then smooth it out with filler. Or you could just cut and weld some steel on there then fill and smooth.

The all fiberglass fenders are not very resistant to abuse, and are not very built up on their mounting points. I think you'll crack them up really badly in short order on a race car. That said, you can always buy some then do some minor fiberglass reinforcement and fill in the vent. But I would also add the vent will reduce front end lift and drag on the car if you can run it. It's also good to pull the fenders from the body at fender to door interface. This helps evacuate high pressure air.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Problem is rules don't allow any vents or anything. Just flares for tire clearance. At least that's what I remember from the prod rules. SCCA doesn't seem to like anything but factory body lines.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Matt,
                      If I am reading the rules right I can not do anything to the knuckle or spindles at all. They can be reinforced and can only be modified to accept an alternate brake caliper. At least this is the way I am reading the GCR. I am use to full prep so all of this stuff was unlimited but the 240 is limited prep. Truthfully the only allowance I see I am permitted to do is add rod ends to replace the tie rods. So much grey areas in the limited prep rules. The car is limited prep but was allowed a dry sump and full prep rods. I will have to take a closer look this weekend. I know I have to fix the solid lifter and then double check all the motor stuff.

Dan

Comment

Def,

Honestly, in the ten years that I raced the BMW I never once cracked the fiberglass fenders, okay that is a lie I wrecked once in the rain at Summit Point but that was driver error slicks on a wet track, oops. Knock on wood that is the only time I ever damaged the fenders. I take that back I did get hit once by a Pinto of all vehicles, that lost his brakes and needed a german car to slow him down. I thought about just adding the flare to the existing fender but the fender has been rolled to the point of it looking really rough and I had to cobble anything more to it. That's why I was thinking of just replacing the entire fender. I agree about filling and covering the vents and Matt is right stock is the only option. Like I said I think I found a Duraflex that looks pretty stock to me and is flared 30mm. I also have a friend who is checking on a another person who might have a mold for a fiberglass fender they used on a tub GT3 car a while back. Thanks for the help.

Dan

Comment

I think you'll be a little shocked at the robustness and quality of the cheaper Nissan fiberglass goods compared to what is typically available on the BMW front. They might be ok, but I've also seen some crack like crazy from just street driving. You probably won't even need to hit something to have them start cracking over time.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

mine are cracking...and poorly made but everyone that sees them comments how well they fit (all s13/s14 guys)
                            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

I see lots of fiberglass here... http://www.nasport.com/ Several of those guys post on the GT and Prod racing forums as well. maybe they can get you a lead.
                              unfortunately it looks like those are all GT-only 1-pc front ends.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X