Fogging windows (no heater core)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogging windows (no heater core)

what does everyone do about there windows foggin. my s13 does not have a heater core or anything for that matter behind the dash its not really a big deal when its nice out i drive with windows down. but when its raining and cold out my windows fog up pretty quick. is there any tips or tricks i can try to keep the windows from fogging.

There are coatings like rainx anti-fog, and there are also films similar to window tint you can put on the inside.

The cheap and easy thing racers do is to rub dawn into the glass and let it dry, then rub until the glass is to clear. Treat it like car wax basically.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

So basicly just take dawn put some on a rag and than apply on the windshield let dry and buff out

Comment

Exactly.

Works good on snorkel/scuba masks too.
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

thanks ill try that tomarrow

Comment

Usually it takes several hours (overnight) to dry. Just be warned.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

also if you are int a wetter climate, it doesn't matter what you do it will fog. (i had a car for a year with no heater core in Oregon)

Comment

let me tell you worked beautiful i can breath right on the windshild when its frosting out and it wont fog. yea i experianced the wait time as i was buffin it out the whole time i was thinking i f***ed up. but yea the next morning when i went to go to work it was crystal clear on the inside but frosted on the out.

Comment

good to hear. I'll go try it on my race car next weekend.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, Dawn works, but it does eventually wear off.

I've thought of ditching the factory HVAC system for reliability, some more space behind the dash, and less weight. So I was thinking of going with a cheap oil cooler rigged up as a heater core (i.e. no plastic crap waiting to explode on track) then some computer fans on a switch then ducting it through the stock defrost vents. Plus it'd provide a little heat inside the car on cold days... I do like my luxuries.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Just buy a cheap used 12V blower fan from a NASCAR forum or something.
                      Those little computer fans are about 123091409 CFM too slow to do anything at all inside a car.

I also wouldn't worry too much about a heater core exploding on you. it's not going to do any damage to the car, and you can just loop the lines back into the engine if it ever happens while you're on the road.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        Just buy a cheap used 12V blower fan from a NASCAR forum or something.
                        Those little computer fans are about 123091409 CFM too slow to do anything at all inside a car.

I also wouldn't worry too much about a heater core exploding on you. it's not going to do any damage to the car, and you can just loop the lines back into the engine if it ever happens while you're on the road.
                        Seen a guy get nasty burns on his legs when an E36 core went out on track. 230 deg F coolant = ouch.

I'm just going over the car and looking at possible failure points. The heater core is probably as old as the average member here, and I run far higher pressure in my cooling loop than stock (and would like to go even higher - to 30 psig, currently 22 psig).

140mm computer fans can move about 80-100 CFM and are dirt cheap, 2 of those is more than enough to defrost a windshield. Even with a little bit of static pressure differential they'll still be flowing 100-120 CFM combined.

It's not going to compare to the stock blower at even 3 out of 4, but it's probably not far off the lower settings.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          Yea, Dawn works, but it does eventually wear off.

I've thought of ditching the factory HVAC system for reliability, some more space behind the dash, and less weight. So I was thinking of going with a cheap oil cooler rigged up as a heater core (i.e. no plastic crap waiting to explode on track) then some computer fans on a switch then ducting it through the stock defrost vents. Plus it'd provide a little heat inside the car on cold days... I do like my luxuries.
                          the funny thing is me and a couple of the guys at the ship were talking about doing just that the other day

Comment

our cars don't blow molten lava on our legs when heater cores blow- it's on the other side of the firewall so it's less likely to bother us. but suit yourself- just trying to save you a bit of money...

Also keep in mind that your stock defroster runs the AC to remove humidity from the blown air. without the dehumidifying help, you'll need a LOT more hot air to keep the windshield clear.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The heater core hoses should also be under a lower pressure to the water pump in/outlet.
                              I'd still rather take to precaution of externally mounting the core and using the cowl to direct the air back in.

Comment

Working...
                              X