Overheating? 240sx sr20det @ -20degC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating? 240sx sr20det @ -20degC

I fear this question is too stupid but it bugs me.

Recently this light(view picture) has been coming on. It looks like the overheating light. The issue is, it happens when my car is still for 5-10 minutes while I clean the snow off it. The heater is on, no working rad fan(my car doesn't have a automatic fan, manual switch fan) ans its minus 20 Celsius outside. Usually the car was sitting for at least 4 hours, enough time for the radiator to return to outdoor temp.

Is there any functions to that little light other then overheating? Or I am wrong and it has another function?

Another note, the temperature gage never goes higher then usual.

The light comes on when the gage is still at the bottom.

Also, I haven't felt any change for the worst in the car or engine.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a JDM dash, if its any different.

My Blog

My Racing video's

The sensor could be going bad. When its really cold here my temp.needle bounces around on warmup. Maybe.check with an aftermarket temp gauge

Comment

Thanks I didn't know there where two sensors...The cluster one seems good. But maybe the ECU one is out of spec.

Il check the codes tomorrow, my consult laptop is in california with my dad so no plugging the car in. I will swap the red sensor with a spare and at worst Frsports sells one for 20$.

Can someone check whats the average resistance at room temperature of a working sensor?

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Don't have it with me, but those specs are listed in your handy dandy FSM.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You can plug in with an SR?

Comment

Originally posted by logr View Post
            You can plug in with an SR?
            If it's wired up. Yes.

Comment

Just making sure, s13 SR's sensor is the same as a s13 KA's.

1989:FSM says its supposed to be around 2.1-2.9 kohm at room temp and 0.30 to 0.33 at 80C or normal engine working temperature.

Update: pulled the code of the ecu..: 55 - Other Malfunction. CONSULT Terminal Required FUUUUU.
              Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

55 is "no faults". I pulled up a picture of the cluster, it looks like that is a "cat overheat" light. Assuming you actually have a cat and the sensor, it might just be complaining from the engine running rich from not getting fully warmed up yet.

Comment

No cat and no second sensor...

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Are you using a Sr20 cluster? Is your 240sx an s13 model?

Over here in southeast asia, we get the s13 hatch with ca18det engine. I put the s13 sr20det in my car and use the s13 sr cluster form the front clip. Had the same "cat overheat" indicator coming on intermittently.

At first I thought that this was due to not wiring in the cat temp sensor that was originally on the s13sr. What I eventually found out was that due to some differences in the circuit board traces between the sr and ca dash cluster, the washer bottle low level switch was connected to the "cat overheat" light on the sr cluster thru the dash/body harness - topped up the washer bottle and the light went away. *I think* I did trace the wires with a multimeter to confirm this was the case, can't remember.

There was no way that I could link the cat indicator with low washer bottle level, it was only by chance that I noticed the circuit board differences when I had both the clusters out to swap some light bulbs.

Hope this can be of some help
                    Last edited by CCB; 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Its a coupe 89 sohc swapped sr with sr cluster. I will have to check. Recently i installed the washer fluid system and it came from my Silvia which doesnt have the quantity sensor. The wire was never plugged. I could assume ice is acting like a conductor if the plug is frozen in a block of ice.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

If it's not hooked up to your washer system then you could just pull the bulb since the light doesn't mean anything with your setup.

And just for anyone that is curious, the cat temperature sensor input in the SR20 ecu is a 0-5v input that only turns on the cat overheat output light. I have a consult plug for my laptop and was using that input to log my wideband with no ill effects other than it would have flashed that bulb if I had it hooked up.

Comment

Working...
                        X