euro diff cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• euro diff cooler

I see that in euro land they have oem coolers for the diff I would like to get one and install it on my s13, im running a tomei 2 way. Anyone have any pics or know what I need? Can a s14 setup be bolted to the s13?

look for photos of a euro/JDM rear subframe, and you can see pretty much everything on there.
    You can still buy the pumps and such locally, as they were also used on the Z32, J30, or Q45-- I forget which one. The pumps are stupid expensive though- like $450 or something.
    I would suggest goign aftermarket on the pump- you can find them elsewhere for about $250. Then use a small oil/power steering cooler mounted somewhere in the rear where it can get some air, but isn't likely to be hit by debris. voila.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Nothing bolts onto the subframe besides some hose clips for the euro cooler setup

If you have an S13, buy an S13 diff cooler? easier to fit, probably easier to find. Even if its used, its probably only run for a few minutes in its whole life span.

Comment

That's part of the problem with many of them used. They've siezed up because of little/no use in their 20 yr life.
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Totally possible I suppose, though Ive never seen one pack up personally.

I have a little jumper harness to turn the pump on while im changing the diff oil to make sure all the old (in age) oil is out of the system before I refill, sometimes the old ones (early 90's) are a little noisy for the first 2-3 seconds but then they run just fine.

Comment

What would be a good pump for this type of duty? I have lots of space to mount this.

Comment

you have to find a 12V pump suitable for hot, viscous oil. there's few out there, and almost all are marketed under racing purposes just like this.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Scavenge_Pumps.html

Works great for remote turbo/rear turbo setups to get the oil back up. Funny you mention this as I'm looking at the HD pump for a different application, and here this thread was up.
                'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

300F maximum fluid temp?
                  I don't see how that would work too well, since I know for a fact fluid temps in a clutch type rear end often get well over 400F.
                  (I think 450F is where the sulfur starts to boil out of solution and stink like ass, and I've smelled lots of sulfury diff oil on clutch type diffs with racing slicks.)

the only way that would work is if the pump was on the cold end of the cooler and you were sucking fluid out of the diff and through the cooler, then pushing it back to the diff.

It would work given their specs, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with the 300F max fluid temps.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I truthfully didn't realize that the oil got that hot in them...crazyness
                    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

for street driving and probably drifting, it shouldn't. For road racing on 30+min sessions, they can and do, especially when you're on slicks. skinny DOT-Rs or street tires? prolly not. lots of laps, fat tires, and LS1? you're gonna want some cooling.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yeah no ****! I currently have a tomei tech Trax advance and don't like it. so I'm switching over to the beefier q45 viscous and later on hopefully swapping in a quaife.

Comment

The only thing about the q45 rear end is the less aggressive final drive...

Why couldn't we pillage the tranny oil coolers from the junkyard q45's, seeing as how we pillage the diff's anyway?
                          1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                          1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                          2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

What years did these come on? I've been through the junk yards and looked at a good many Q45's and have never seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                              300F maximum fluid temp?
                              I don't see how that would work too well, since I know for a fact fluid temps in a clutch type rear end often get well over 400F.
                              (I think 450F is where the sulfur starts to boil out of solution and stink like ass, and I've smelled lots of sulfury diff oil on clutch type diffs with racing slicks.)

the only way that would work is if the pump was on the cold end of the cooler and you were sucking fluid out of the diff and through the cooler, then pushing it back to the diff.

It would work given their specs, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with the 300F max fluid temps.
                              My diff temps are 170-185 deg F on a 100 deg F day at 14 psi with a HLSD on a tight track (less cooling air). My average lap was faster than the NASA TTA lap record for the track, so I was wheeling it pretty good on RA-1s.

Clutch type diffs do get hot, but by 300 deg F the oil will usually boil out of the overflow on a stock diff cover. With a cooler it should stay below that temp, and that might be a temp limitation of the epoxy on the windings, so that will be much cooler the fluid it's pumping anyway. If you can get it primed, you can run it on the return side of the cooler and not worry about fluid temps ever. Run a check valve on the supply side and once you get it primed, it should stay primed.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X