Receiver hitch options for the S13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver hitch options for the S13

I've been searching for a bolt-on receiver for the 240, but so far have come up with the same one at most places. It just bolts behind the licence plate to the bumper support I assume and has a fixed tongue... I'd really like one where I can remove the draw bar (tongue).

Here is the one that can be found at JCWhitney or most other places online when I was looking... http://fileresource.sitepro.com/file...89563F65C1.pdf

Any other options out there that I've missed? All that I'm needing this for is pulling the tire trailer to the track once a month.
    -Monty

Seems like I could only find the Curt one shown above. Look into the Draw-tite options. I think someone mentioned they had a bolt on version after I bought the Curt receiver. =(
    Addicted to Motorsports

Comment

I got mine from hitch web, but it looks as though they list the same hitch as you've already found:

http://www.hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?...PID=6&VID=9187

I'd wonder if you could get the '95+ one to work....

Comment

To late... I just ordered the one above for $85 shipped. The tire trailer is so light as it is and I figure that I can always have one fabricated later on once I have my own welder and a little more spare time on my hands.
        -Monty

Comment

Yep, I searched the net and made phone calls for weeks and the only one I came up with was the CURT with the flat draw bar, which is the same as the D'alan if you find that one. I really wanted one with the 1-1/4" receiver so I took it to the local trailer fab place and had them cut the flat tongue off and weld on an adaptor made to bush a 2" hitch down to a 1-1/4" size. Spray painted it with Rustoleum and it looks like it was made that way!
          Don Johnson (really!)
          Just so you know.

Comment

That'd probably work well, but my only concern would be the weight distribution if the ball isn't located in a place similar to "stock".

What I do like about the 1-1/4" hitch is the ability to use a riser for the ball, though. The flat bar was so low my safety chains would scrape everywhere. I also bottomed out the crap out of that hitch.

Comment

Hmmm, I do have a 1-1/4" receiver from the sentra laying in the garage, maybe I can take the two to the fab shop and have them graft the two together .

PJ, I think the ball location would be pretty close, well I could try to get it as close as possible if I did this. Luckily the tire trailer with tires/tools is not that much weight.
              -Monty

Comment

Yeah, my friend's trailer with an aluminum box is still pretty light, even loaded with wheels/ tires. Tongue weight is probably 50ish lbs max, and I can pull it up a decent incline by hand (my driveway slopes down on the side). Just be careful with that hitch, though. The 500/1500 lb capacity is probably rated for a car that hasn't been rusted/ fatigued over 15+ years :P

That said, I'm picking up my new trailer this weekend. 50" wide tire rack! Really hope I can get all 4 tires on it....

Comment

FYI...my Curt hitch has had rust on it ever since about a week after I bought it. I'm not sure if this is inevitable with these things but if I had the time and could do it again I would powdercoat the hitch before installing it. I think it comes with some cheap black paint on it.
                  Addicted to Motorsports

Comment

Well, I just dropped off the Curt hitch and my old sentra hitch to have them cut/welded together at a local fab shop. I really want to have the 1 1/4" receiver so that I can just pull the tongue out whenever and not worry about it. I think I'll have them powdercoat it black too just so that it doesn't look like crap a year down the road.
                    -Monty

Comment

I thought it would be a few days, but I got a call at 6pm tonight telling me it was done. I'll try to get it installed sometime this week if possible.

-Monty

Comment

I had come on my car when I bought it over a year ago. I've been toying around the idea of making a utility trailer for it, and possibly a motorcycle trailer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Longfellow View Post
                          I had come on my car when I bought it over a year ago. I've been toying around the idea of making a utility trailer for it, and possibly a motorcycle trailer as well.
                          same here. I have a 5' x 8' trailer that i will be using to tow my rotax kart that i recently picked up as well as my bike (cbr600rr). would that still be under the weight limit (say a bike and typical trackday items??)

Comment

The trailer I can't imagine would be over a couple hundred lbs, and the kart or bike should be under 400. As long as the weight is distributed correctly, you should be fine towing with an S13.

Comment

Really old picture of my car when I first got it.

Its some where out in the garage. I'll get it down soon and take a better picture of where it mounts.
                              Last edited by Longfellow; 06-30-2008, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X