Delrin bushing sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delrin bushing sets

I have access to a Cnc lathe and copious amounts of Delrin. I know of the benefits that Delrin have; but On a street driven car will they hold-up and what would be the pitfalls of doing a Delrin setup. Also once the bushings have been generated in our database we could do individuals or sets for people if they are deemed a good idea.

Thanks in advance for the input.

They will last for quite a while. I've had a set on my car for years, but it doesn't see too many street miles. A machined sleeve for the bolt will help them last longer as well. They do need greasing, but they seem to stay low friction for a very long time vs. urethane bushings.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Unfortunately the only place you could use Delrin in our cars is the RLCA bushings. All of the others need to flex in multiple planes.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

what matt said...and if you are gonna use a sleeve make a nice press fit bronze or oilite bushing that is a slip fit on the bolt diameter...then you don't need to grease it
        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Uhhh, don't you still need a slip fit on the delrin to bronze? when you torque the thing down, the sleeve will be clamped inside the mounting tabs and won't rotate. Thus the delrin will rotate about the sleeve..
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

hmmm you are right...maybe make a sleeve that slips inside the bronze and have that sleeve be .005-.01 longer so it gets clamped, you don't really want the bronze and delrin to be the friction point...
            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

ideally, no. but then again I've seen delrin bushings last years on other cars where there's a friction surface.

but yeah, a bronze intermediate sleeve pressed into the delrin to rotate about a steel inner sleeve would work fine.
              ... or you could just press-fit some 12mm ball bearings into them by that point.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Mustangs use Delrin bushings all the time, very popular upgrade. Don't exactly remember what the middle metal sections are made of, but they hold up as well as anything else.
                'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                  Unfortunately the only place you could use Delrin in our cars is the RLCA bushings. All of the others need to flex in multiple planes.
                  Yes, I'm talking about RLCA bushings. Maybe I take it for granted, but yes that is the only place you can use delrin on these cars for a suspension bushing.

Honestly, you don't need a sleeve as the load is low enough for just delrin (I think the bearing yield stress is in the 10-15 ksi range). It's a good idea if you want to go the extra mile. Make it a slip fit, groove the delrin, and then grease the crap out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                    Can you explain why this is so?

Why do they need to flex. And what about spherical bearings that dont flex at all.
                    Time is the school in which we learn; Time is the fire in which we burn.

Comment

Thanks for the input; once I get a set made; I'll post em up an give the cost etc.

Comment

Cool, I'd probably be down. Sounds like the Godspeed rears aren't a realistic prospect.
                        ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by ZorRtwice View Post
                          Can you explain why this is so?

Why do they need to flex. And what about spherical bearings that dont flex at all.
                          A delrin bushing with a hole in it only allows rotation in ONE plane. All the other bushings on our cars move in TWO planes, i.e. as they rotate up and down they also rotate side to side.

A spherical bushing allows rotation in any plane as long as it doesn't bind up.

The RLCA acts like the bottom arm of a dual a-arm setup, so you can use delrin there.

Comment

Im asking "why" they need to flex in multiple planes. I thought that was my question. If I go around dissing poly/delrin on the grounds that "They dont allow our arms to flex on multiple planes" I will get laughed at and they will go "why" which is the same question i think I am asking *scratches head*

I wouldnt think you would want the arms to move in multiple planes at all ..just rotate moving up and down.

What is it they are doing while going side to side AND up and down ...as in the sleeve and the bolt are actually supposed to be twisting into the bushing? and this does what exactly ..what is the arm trying to accomplish during this
                            Last edited by ZorRtwice; 12-26-2011, 05:33 PM.
                            Time is the school in which we learn; Time is the fire in which we burn.

Comment

What he's telling you is that every arm, except the RLCA doesnt strictly move up and down in its range of motion, and will cause binding, making it a waste of time for the other bushings, the RLCA is the only application where it makes sense.

I'd be interested in a set, I did a bunch of drawing with the emachineshop stuff to see about getting sets made a while back, just never bothered with going forward with it since.

Comment

Working...
                              X