Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tried and true? Arms & bushings.

regarding the S13

Not seeing too many searches returning active users with megan arms. Now many people in the drift arena seem to enjoy Isis and megan arms. That is about my price range, 4-500$ for toe arms traction arms rucas and tension rods. But I am leaning more towards megan because it fully encloses the strut.

Any experience with megan arms and if they hold up to higher grip applications? Most of the opinions of people who use megan arms see so much slip I doubt the chassis is sustaining enough load to give me an adequate opinion...

Also Ive learned I probably do not want urethane in my front and rear lower control arms due to binding but for the life of me I cannot seem to find any hard rubber bushings for the LCA's that do not include a full kit on the inter webs ....

What are some of you guys using as far as spherical bearing arms. And where are you sourcing your individual rubber bushings o.O id prefer to avoid Oem but all I can find are urethane, or nismo "Sets"
    Time is the school in which we learn; Time is the fire in which we burn.

Nismo is probably your only option on the rubber sets. As far as budget brand arms go, I've heard good things about Isis only because of their rod ends being easily replaceable with higher quality units due to their choice in thread pitch.
    Originally posted by Matt93SE
    in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

I run knockoff NAMS stuff (see spl v1). Replaced the rod ends with QA1 and Aurora stuff and haven't had the slightest issue.

This is a much better path than running on some cheap rod ends on a Megan/isis arm. Besides, isidore is the same as the cheapest ebay arms painted yellow.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I made my own with a bender, some flat stock, and some DOM tubing. easy peasy. never had a problem with them bending or breaking.

As for the Megan arms, they'll work okay but have cheap junk sphericals in them. by the time you source quality replacements for the oddball metric bushings, it's cheaper (with time factored in) to just buy the good stuff the first time.

They're half the price of SPL arms and such for a reason.... just keep that in mind.

As for the RUCA enclosing the rear strut, that's a total PITA for me. I've never had an arm break, but I have had to remove a strut while working on the car and it makes it a lot harder if you can't do it without removing the RUCA.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post

As for the RUCA enclosing the rear strut, that's a total PITA for me. I've never had an arm break, but I have had to remove a strut while working on the car and it makes it a lot harder if you can't do it without removing the RUCA.

Good point =D

So the issue with megan arms is longevity? do the bearings wear out and bind? (is that even possible with spherical bearings) or do they just break? No longer adjust properly?

Comment

lots of issues with the chinese stuff, namely quality.

The sphericals in my GodSpeed arms were so tight I couldn't move them. I bolted my RLCA up to the chassis and I stood on the damn thing and it wouldn't turn. the fronts were so tight I had to put a bolt through the spherical and use the arm as leverage to move it. I tossed the ones on the FLCA and installed some FK bearings in them. (read Def's budget FLCA thread for instructions). Haven't gotten around to the rears yet- that's a winter project.

generally when they wear, they get loose and sloppy and there's play in them. that said, my "economy grade" FK bearings I put in my homemade RUCAs have been on there for about 6 years and 40k miles and there's still VERY little play. I can wiggle the RUCA and tell it's there, but it's not enough I can measure- i.e. in the hundredths of an inch and is not enough to alter the alignment or make anything rattle while driving.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Damn ...guess ill have to put off the suspension arms till after I get the car running while i save more monies .
              Last edited by ZorRtwice; 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Do it right, do it once. It costs less. Trust me there.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Im not so much worried about overall cost now that I have this second job. I just kind of want to get the car to 100% by the first of the year =D

I just hate "waiting".

this is me ..say I need to go change a transmission and Ill be working at night. Oh ill just go to harbor freight and get a set of halogen work lights for 20$, do the job, leave them out in the rain .

if the time comes to do another late night session again Ill just go buy more 20$ lights. I shoudl really break that habit.

though I do have a 15$ reciprocating saw from harbor freight also ...its ejected something akin to a fan ....and a bolt or two ....and a cloud of smoke ....its been rained on ..but it still works ...

Comment

You sound like a prime candidate to live in a FEMA region..
                    put the lights up next time and you won't have to buy them twice.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                      I made my own with a bender, some flat stock, and some DOM tubing. easy peasy. never had a problem with them bending or breaking.
                      And neither have I... I'm using some of Matt's work on my car now. They have seen a cow pasture, 2 autox's, some empty parking lot drifting, and god knows how many roads that would take out a truck tire.
                      Again, thank you Matt for saving me the trouble of wasting my time on that Chinaspeed stuff.
                      Originally posted by Matt93SE
                      in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Oh yeah... I sold hubba some of the arms I made but had to take off for class rules. They've seen a lot of hard driving on two cars now.... I think I made them for about $50 a set...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Any chance I could see pics? =D

Comment

they look just like all the chinese ones out there.

http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/suspen...00_1107_sm.jpg
                            http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/suspension/100_1114.jpg
                            http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/suspension/100_1116.jpg
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Do you still have the means to make those?

Comment

Working...
                              X