Radiator size question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator size question..

So I'm going to buy a "dirt track" radiator for the car cause they're 1/3 the price of those ricer radiators you ballers have.

The stock radiator is: 26.25" wide, 17.5" tall
    max opening size: 27.25" x 18" (27.25" = dist between frame rails. no leeway there.)

It seems I can find a ton of 26" x 19" radiators and a ton of 26" x 16" rads.

Am I really losing that much cooling by going with a the 26x16 vs trying to shoehorn a 26x19 in there and having to angle it or whatever?

considering the stocker is just a tad taller but 1/3 the thickness, I'm thinking it's no big deal, right?
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

I like smaller dual pass radiators, but they're probably higher than you wanna pay. The 3" difference won't mean **** IMO, except for the extra weight from coolant needed.

Comment

where are you looking matt?
      I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

I'd go with whichever one will fit without major surgery. The 3" will definitely add cooling capacity, and it's needed in hot Tejas weather, but IMO it's not worth hacking up the whole front of your car just to fit it.

You thought about a cheap no-name Chinese KA radiator? They're SUPER cheap on eBay and they'll perform just as well as a junky Mishimoto etc. Definitely better than stock.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I never understood the hate that mishi rads receive. Are the channels spaced far apart or something? I've never had one so IDK, but I've seen a lot of track guys running mishi rads.

Comment

Since you're still on a pretty stock KA any of them will work far better than stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
              I never understood the hate that mishi rads receive. Are the channels spaced far apart or something? I've never had one so IDK, but I've seen a lot of track guys running mishi rads.
              They work great, in fact my 'clone build' uses one without any major or noticable difference. I guess if I had any complaint the Koyo looks nicer (ricer modz).
              'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
              [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
              [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

tower, I've been checking Summit and Griffin's site for what they have. I'm not buying a "chinese" radiator. It's going to be Griffin, Afco, etc. from the dirt track world. cheap and good quality.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I had an AFCO 26x19 double pass previously and it cooled the LS1 nicely, it was just too tall to mount properly in the engine bay. I've now switched to a Griffin 26x16 double pass that fits nicely into the core support opening on the S13. I need to work on the shroud/ducting with this one for high speed cooling, but it does great at low speed so I know it's up to the task once I can get the airflow right.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                    They do ok, but in general it's the same stuff you can buy for less than half the cost as a non-branded radiator.

I think it's ridiculous when people will happily snatch up a Mishimoto (which used to be super cheap since they just branded those no name radiators), but will turn up their nose at the same thing without a badge on it.

If I were getting a circle track radiator, I'd definitely get a dual pass one. Concentrate flow on the first pass since that will give you the greatest heat transfer.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

for the S14, dual pass makes the most sense anyway since the hoses are both on the right side. so it's simple enough to run one and I can very possibly use stock hoses if I get the fittings the right size.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        for the S14, dual pass makes the most sense anyway since the hoses are both on the right side. so it's simple enough to run one and I can very possibly use stock hoses if I get the fittings the right size.
                        What sort of temps are you seeing to require the additional cooling?

I know my car sees 190-200, maybe 210* in the hottest of July, but it normally hangs around teh 190/200. I don't consider it bad, especially with the stock thermostat.
                        'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                        [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                        [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

It's much hotter here. Yesterday was the first "nice" day I've run at the track since about April. May through Sept are over 90 deg during the day.
                          As for temps, I'm seeing 205-210 steady-state while I'm on track even in 75deg weather... But I have near zero ducting on my radiator (all the factory plastic trim is gone), and the radiator itself is so beat up I don't know how it holds water.

most of the fins are bent and there are rock dings all over it from running with no AC condenser and no mesh in front of it.

I'm working on front end aero right now, and I'm planning a reasonably powerful engine build over the winter.

All that combined means it's time for a new radiator, and I might as well do it right the first time.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Whats everyone's thoughts on leaving a radiator forward or back to make it fit. Would tilting a larger radiator be more effective at cooling or using a smaller upright radiator be better?
                            TEAM FAIL RACING

Comment

Tilting a radiator will limit flow. You can get a thicker radiator(x amounts of cores). I am running a 3 core on my car and most afters are 2 cores( Stock is 1 core and stock s14 is 2...I think.) Also with a bigger tanks you will have a bigger heat capacity.

Running more cores might might also limit flow, but much less then having the rads fins having to control the air flow.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Working...
                              X