S-chassis lateral G's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-chassis lateral G's

Just a broad question, for those of you that data log, what sort of average stable G-force can you maintain in a corner (IE not just the peak)? Both medium and high speed, say 50 and 100mph corners with what tires.

I hear some guys saying they can get .1 to .15g more out of certain semi combo’s in the S-chassis and up to .2g more out of slicks over good semi’s.

Very general question.

I only ran data in my S14 once, and I was pulling 1.4 or 1.5G steady state about 80mph using Toyo R888s.

Need to borrow another data box and play around with it at the next race. Maybe I'll download an app for my phone.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I downloaded an app for my phone... and while it was neat to look at some data as opposed to nothing. Especially considering my sessions are not timed officially.

Next time I'll want the external bluetooth GPS reciver that pings at 5-10hz instead of the phone's native 1hz gps receiver.

That said, I don't believe my app's readings on acceleration data. I suspect the peaks I saw were from tossing out or missing gps readings, but never bothered to verify as the data isn't that important to me.
      '95 240sx

Comment

With fairly old RA-1s, I was seeing 1.2-1.4 G's average with the stack dash.
        -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Rezlo View Post
          Just a broad question, for those of you that data log, what sort of average stable G-force can you maintain in a corner (IE not just the peak)? Both medium and high speed, say 50 and 100mph corners with what tires.
          I wanted to add, the speed is irrelevant without knowing the radius of the turn.

You can pull lateral 1.5G going 100mph on a given radius, and you can also pull lateral 1.5G going 30mph at a much much tighter radius.

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet View Post
            I wanted to add, the speed is irrelevant without knowing the radius of the turn.

You can pull lateral 1.5G going 100mph on a given radius, and you can also pull lateral 1.5G going 30mph at a much much tighter radius.
            Usualy the radius dictates the average speed which you can take the corner at, as you point out in the 2nd part of your post. This said most normal cars without massive amounts of aero work can pull higher G's in lower speed corners than in high speed corners. this is why i made the "in general" and "broad" comment specific to S-chassis cars.

1.2 to 1.4 sustained seems to be a common finding with peaks into the 1.5's, vector usualy being .1 to .2 higher before traction loss on semi's.

my main thing I was trying to find out is the difference between semi's and full slicks when it comes to sustained G, this would obviously require somone though that has run datalogging on both types of tires.

thanks Matt93 & McCoy,

Comment

I can't specifically answer for S-chassis on that, but I'll ask my suspension guy next time I see him (probably tomorrow). He builds all kinds of cars, and very likely has data for the same car on various tires. If not, he at least has the experience to tell the difference.
              Most of the time you're going to find a lap time difference at a certain track vs. a lateral G spec though... i.e. slicks are worth roughly 2-3 sec on a 1:45 lap time over A6s, and 3-4 sec over R6, and 5-6 sec over R888.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

We are seeing a similiar difference of 1.5-2 seconds on slicks over the DZ03 and RE55's on a 1.10-15 track,

Comment

.96g on the street using dynolicious in a (U) corner at 55km/h

Comment

Working...
                  X