I have an Offset question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an Offset question

car is for drifting. was using 17x9 +20 all around. one is now bent and the wheels are out of production. so i must buy a pair of some other wheels. only size available these days is 17x9 +12

my question is in regards to; having what offset on front and rear axles? there is a member on here whos sig shows 17x9 22F 17x9 35R, i recall this was so that you have more fender clearance in the rear? however i have always assumed it would be ideal to have the wider track width at the rear of any vehicle. that being said,

my theory is:
    +12 in front with maximum camber to fit stock fenders. more camber allows for greater cornering traction correct?

+20 in the rear with a approx 0.5-1* camber to make the most of 215 tire all around.

right now my rear camber is nearly maxed when it doesnt need to be. any input would be appreciated, thanks

If you look at the spec's of most stock vehicles (including the 240sx) you'll find that the front track is wider than the rear. I'm sure someone here can give you a great scientific explanation of why that is the case.

When the 240sx rear suspension is lowered, it gains a lot of camber. To correct, you'll need adjustable upper arms.

The search function is very handy. ;-)
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

215 on a 9?
      2008 crew cab z71 DD
      1998 240sx se
      2012 Chevy Equinox family hauler

Comment

I think one good reason to have a wider track width up front would be for the issue of our cars being nose heavy. Read up more on peoples wheel/tire setups on here and you'll figure out what works best from a functional standpoint rather than the Zilvia standpoint.

Good luck. Hope you figure it out and get back to driving.
        Originally posted by Matt93SE
        in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Originally posted by derass View Post
          there is a member on here whos sig shows 17x9 22F 17x9 35R, i recall this was so that you have more fender clearance in the rear?
          I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's just because he got a good deal on them, although I'm comming from the standpoint of an s14 and most here are s13...
          my theory is:
          +12 in front with maximum camber to fit stock fenders. more camber allows for greater cornering traction correct?
          To a degree. You get max lateral traction when you have even tire wear/temps. Any more or less and you start throwing it away.

+20 in the rear with a approx 0.5-1* camber
          I would run a little more camber in the rear. Try starting with 1.5 and adjusting from there.

to make the most of 215 tire all around.
          9" wheels are a little overkill for 215 if you ask me. I'm running 255/275 on 9's normally. For drifting I don't like the buldge so I put them on my 10's and wouldn't mind a little more stretch, but 215's on 9" is just retarded if you ask me. Traction is good, even when you're trying to break it.

Comment

215 on a 9 is pretty much 2003.

Most dudes would run at least a 235 on a 9 now, unless you're drifting a KA.

Anyway, I also had the 17x9 +20 and 215/45 combo in the rear, but I was slammed and was tucking half the sidewalls on those 215/45s, and thus I needed the camber for clearance.

I think I was around 3 degrees at that point.

If you don't want to mess with your fenders a whole lot, and still be able to run 215s or 235s on the 17x9s, a +35 offset is actually not bad.

As for wider track front to rear, my car's front track is super wide compared to the rear right now, because the front has the LCAs extended like an inch, while the rears are not extended.
            http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
            X