Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new LSD: OS Giken or Carbonetic or Quaife

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a new LSD: OS Giken or Carbonetic or Quaife

    Long story short, my OBX is on its last legs. Despite multiple rebuild attempts with different spring washer configurations, it just pounds itself to death. I honestly can't blame it, as I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it over they YEARS of abuse. Currently, I've got radial play in both output shafts which is causing some oil leaking, as well as generating a ton of noise. Further, there's zero preload, so I can't be sure how effective it is once the inside becomes slightly unloaded. All I know is: in the past 4 events it's deteriorated noticeably.


    On to the discussion....
    Price is always a concern, but not nearly as much as performance and longevity. From a quick look, my search has found the following options:

    1. OS Giken: At $1600, this is the most expensive diff. It's also reportedly one of the best, as we've recently been beaten by an OS Giken sponsored C6 Z06. I'm not satisfied when someone with twice my power and tire (and is likely a better driver) is faster, so I'll blame it on the diff. The OS bills itself out as having a crazy number of clutch plates for smooth engagement and high locking power, but is it worth the extra expense?

    2. Carbonetic: At $1230, this slots itself right in the price range I'm looking at. Chris Travis had one from when it was ATS in his SM Civic, which is arguably the most successful SM Civic (in the world). The few reviews I've found have said it's just better for road racing than metal plated diffs, which seems to be just regurgitation of Carbonetic's advertisement of the carbon clutch plates. If it's even close to being on par with the OS Giken, this seems like the best bet.

    3. Quaife: $1300 for a better version of my OBX. Mike Shields fought with his for a long time, despite still being fast enough to take multiple DSP National titles. I'm not sure I could do the same while trying to put down even more power, but in theory I can adjust suspension to compensate and keep the rear planted, and if it works it'd be the longest lasting, most neutral handling diff.


    Comments or other suggestions would be very welcome. Trying to just nail this down quickly so I can hopefully have a diff installed in a week from now.
    Last edited by AceInHole; 06-10-2011, 05:51 AM.

  • #2
    I love my ATS Carbon diff. Extremely smooth for what it is. Mine gets primarily used on bumpy, dirty, tight mountain roads where it excels.

    Oh, it's great on track too.

    I have no proof, only opinion.
    S13
    1:31.xxx CW/CCW SoW
    1:04.837 CW HTM
    ?? Chuckwalla
    ?? BW13

    Comment


    • #3
      OS-Giken FTMFW!

      I had a Torsen diff and constantly had inside wheel spin on the track. This year I switched to an OS Giken LSD and holy moly.....it's amazing. No more inside wheel spin...just grip and go.
      Last edited by 240sxTTC; 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM.
      NASA Time Trials TT3


      BTW I work for Garrett

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
        OS-Giken FTMFW!

        I had a Torsen diff and constantly had inside wheel spin on the track. This year I switched to an OS Giken LSD and holy moly.....it's amazing. No more inside wheel spin...just grip and go.
        Did you have actual droop travel under load? I make quite a bit more grunt than your car and never ever have inside wheelspin with an S15 HLSD, even with street tires.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


        DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

        Comment


        • #5
          Ace, hate to thread jack here, but what kind of output shafts are you using with your OBX?
          I would honestly pony up the extra 4 bills just to get the Giken, though I don't have experience with it... however I will be getting that at some point for sure.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Def View Post
            Did you have actual droop travel under load? I make quite a bit more grunt than your car and never ever have inside wheelspin with an S15 HLSD, even with street tires.
            i realize your post was in response to 240sxTTC, but helicals dont cut it at top autox speeds. all the top SSM FD's have switched from OEM Torsen to clutch diffs. they generate enough grip that they get inside wheelspin on throttle from so little tire contact.

            isnt a quaife just a helical with preload? i suppose it would work better, but the SSM guys seem to swear by clutchs.
            Originally posted by Jason M
            I have no chance to win without the Giken...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Def View Post
              Did you have actual droop travel under load? I make quite a bit more grunt than your car and never ever have inside wheelspin with an S15 HLSD, even with street tires.
              Street tires likely won't generate enough lateral load transfer to completely unload the inside. I'm hitting 1.5g sustained on the higher grip surfaces, with higher peaks. The ST car runs around 1.1g peak on the same surfaces.

              Originally posted by josh18_2k View Post
              i realize your post was in response to 240sxTTC, but helicals dont cut it at top autox speeds. all the top SSM FD's have switched from OEM Torsen to clutch diffs. they generate enough grip that they get inside wheelspin on throttle from so little tire contact.

              isnt a quaife just a helical with preload? i suppose it would work better, but the SSM guys seem to swear by clutchs.
              I've read that Strelniecks is running an OS Giken, although the 7parts profile says he has a Kaaz. I've also heard that the Chadwick car has a Kaaz. A couple friends of mine run the OS Giken and swear by it, and the icing on the cake is the Jr. Johnson/ Courtney Cormier ASP C6 Z06 that runs the OS Giken (also with OS Giken listed as their sponsor). That, and after reading a bunch of reviews and getting a bunch of feedback, it seems like the OS Giken is the best bet. Hopefully it'll get here in time for the Oscoda Pro, but I won't be holding my breath for it. I'm going to take a guess that we'll see a drastic improvement, though (which is scary to think how far we've gone with the cheap OBX).
              Last edited by AceInHole; 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                Ace, hate to thread jack here, but what kind of output shafts are you using with your OBX?
                I would honestly pony up the extra 4 bills just to get the Giken, though I don't have experience with it... however I will be getting that at some point for sure.
                I'm using the standard (open diff) output shafts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
                  Street tires likely won't generate enough lateral load transfer to completely unload the inside. I'm hitting 1.5g sustained on the higher grip surfaces, with higher peaks. The ST car runs around 1.1g peak on the same surfaces.
                  I've also run 255/40-17 R-comps on it with zero issue, and with aero at high speed building up how many G's it can pull.

                  No idea on my lateral G's, but I can't see an ST car pulling more peak G's than my car.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                  DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    While I do not AutoX, I have no complaints with my Kaaz clunk 1.5 box. It's all or nothing, but it works just fine. 275's max width
                    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Giken Giken Giken.

                      I'm *hoping* to be able to get one this winter. I bought an s15 helical which will be here Tuesday just to get to get by, but after that I'm gonna try and sell the (rebuilt) nismo 1.5 gt and helical and swing it.

                      I have never read anything bad about it, and everyone seems to run one. I love the clutch type at autox (until it didn't want to play nice).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Alex, you can always donate the S15 diff to my chumpcar team when you're done with it.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                        DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The Kaaz diffs are quite popular over here and I haven't heard any complaints yet. If they're about $1000AUS, then i'd imagine you'd be able to get them cheaper than that as we seem to pay top price for everything here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Def View Post
                            I've also run 255/40-17 R-comps on it with zero issue, and with aero at high speed building up how many G's it can pull.

                            No idea on my lateral G's, but I can't see an ST car pulling more peak G's than my car.
                            The turns are soo much sharper in autocross compared to road course, it would be much more noticeable. Especially with the grip from those Huge A6s. In road course you generally try to be smooth as possible. In autocross, you have to chuck the car around a lot more to be fast. You are trying to accelerate when the car is still upset.

                            I'm not on the level to invest in a clutch type yet so the S15 helical is good enough for me. Ace is shooting for the National Championship so I can see how any little advantage he can get will help.
                            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Went from kaaz 1.5 to s15 to os giken and never looked back. The giken is smooth as the s15, and locks like the kaaz without the clunk and chatter. Its a no hassle lsd that has predictable lock, grab, countersteer, and go. Its and investment with a hefty price tag, but definitely not to be overlooked.

                              Os giken ftw

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X