Dry Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Ice

Could someone explain the procedure of using dry ice to remove the factory sound deadening from the floor-pan?

Thanks!
    Peace, Jimmy J

'96 S14 SE automatic
    '95 S14 Base 5spd
    '02 Trail Blazer LTZ
    '01 HD Road King Classic

Put dry ice on sound deadening. Let it sit for a few minutes, hit with a rubber mallet. Clean up mess.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thankee sai.

Thanks for not deeming me to be a ****tard for asking. LOL
      Peace, Jimmy J

'96 S14 SE automatic
      '95 S14 Base 5spd
      '02 Trail Blazer LTZ
      '01 HD Road King Classic

Comment

I just did this with tower240 friday/sat. if you have access to an air chizzle and a large dull flat blade for it we didnt even need the dry ice. just turn the air pressure down so you dont chizzle thru the metal....and put in earplugs. the air chizzle made quick work of major areas

Comment

The benefit of using the dry ice method is that you have little residue to clean up afterward.
          My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

That answered a lot of my questions...I've always done it the heat gun way....Loosen it with heat scrape it grind down the residue, MEK it and paint it....PITA...Looking to do dry ice for the rest of my car...any idea on price and quantity needed? I found a local distributor but no prices listed and haven't callled them yet. Any special handling instuctions? Thanks.

Comment

check your local grocery stores or outdoor supply stores. here in CA it was $1.50/lb, and we pickedup 12lbs so we could spread it around. you MUST wear gloves when touching it, it will burn you super fast..... leather gardening gloves or welding gloves is what we used

Comment

www.graeters.com/

This is where my son and I are headed. They sell it for 1.75 a pound. I think I'll get ten pounds.
                Peace, Jimmy J

'96 S14 SE automatic
                '95 S14 Base 5spd
                '02 Trail Blazer LTZ
                '01 HD Road King Classic

Comment

I used 20 lbs but it was in the summer. I paid $1/lb for it, so I figured why not. Just took a cooler to drop it in and wore gloves while handling it.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yeah, we should have gotten more than ten pounds. We only had enough time to get the floor pan and the area under the rear seat. Ah well.
                    Peace, Jimmy J

'96 S14 SE automatic
                    '95 S14 Base 5spd
                    '02 Trail Blazer LTZ
                    '01 HD Road King Classic

Comment

You can break the dry ice into chunks and throw it in a large ziplock bag. Place it on the areas that you want to lift. Leave it on for a few minutes. You should hear the metal start to pop. That usually means the area is cold enough. Just hit it with a rubber mallet, and it will shatter.
                      Tristan Smith
                      T-Rex Racing
                      SCCA ITR 300zx #56
                      Former SCCA ITA 240sx #56
                      IMSA RS 1978 Datsun 200sx #58

Comment

Better yet is when you can get a putty knife under the corner and pry up a square foot of it at a time. much less cleanup mess.
                        that's why I love the dry ice method.
                        the hardest part is getting the sloped rear parcel shelf stuff. I tried to do that in the summer and just couldn't get it cold enough. I put styrofoam behind it for insulation and covered the dry ice with 2-3" of towels trying to keep the heat off, but I never could get it cold enough to freeze. finally I broke down and air-chiseled it off and did the MEK + wire wheel + elbow grease + etc etc etc man I hate doing it that way!
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          Put dry ice on sound deadening. Let it sit for a few minutes, hit with a rubber mallet. Clean up mess.
                          I find it easier to just use a putty knife....

and use liquid nitrogen instead of dry ice. So much easier though dry ice > nothing at all.

You will need at least 20lbs to do the car if you're fast and develop a nice way to pile it up around the tunnel..... or you can just dump liquid nitro and be done with it.

Comment

I didn't know you could buy liquid nitro... hmmm.
                            Peace, Jimmy J

'96 S14 SE automatic
                            '95 S14 Base 5spd
                            '02 Trail Blazer LTZ
                            '01 HD Road King Classic

Comment

I used 12lbs over about 7 or 8 hours,

I would go with the LN2 if I had thought about it while the lab was still open, but I started late friday afternoon...
                              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Working...
                              X