Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway bar setup.

Hi all.
    Yeah I am a newbie. I searched but could not find an answer to my question.
    I have a 93 240. Sportline springs with tokico blue. I basically replaced the whole suspension with fully adjustable stuff. I have the strut bars, fender braces, braces everywhere. I am running 17 inch rims with 225 tires.
    Anyway, on to my question. I have read somewhere that running minimal or no rear sway bar with a super stiff front is the way to go with the s13. I have progress sways front and rear. I have the rear at the softest setting and the front in the middle setting. Is this basically the best setup? I know other things should be considered, but as a starting point, is this a good setting for the sway bars?

It all depends on what you want from the car. Try the front bar on it's stiffest setting and see how you like it. Try it on it's softest and see how you like it. If full soft on your rear bar is where you like it then you need a softer one, try dis-connecting it and see how you like that. Most guys run either stock or no rear sway bar with a larger than stock front bar.
    function > form
    1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It seems the most common setup is like I currently have. I want the best possible grip so I guess the best answer will come from time on the track.

Comment

Well I am talking to myself. I did find that running the progress bars with medium up front and full stiff in back was bad. Real twitchy. I was sideways with the slightest throttle input. Now I am running full stiff in front and lowest in back. Car holds like it is on rails. Tomorrow I go to the track so I will post back here and let myself know how it went.

Comment

Well I think I have the best setup. I took second in my class. Beat 14 other drivers in that class. The car just holds so nice. If it start to push I can throttle it and get it right. I have to try real hard to get the ass to kick out, but if I want it will. I am just stoked about this. First time I have run in two years, and to come in second, by .01 sec. Makes my day.

Comment

Speaking of swaybars I was just gona make a new thread... whats the best place to get whiteline s13 front and rear swaybars? Price wise.
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
              Speaking of swaybars I was just gona make a new thread... whats the best place to get whiteline s13 front and rear swaybars? Price wise.
              SPL Parts is the cheapest I've seen so far.

www.splparts.com

Comment

I just remembered the whiteline one has that weird endlink setup.. argh... hmm that sucks.. unless there was an ultra cheap option for a pillowball endlink.. spl charges more for the endlinks they have than the actual swaybar.. blah
                "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I just remembered the whiteline one has that weird endlink setup.. argh... hmm that sucks.. unless there was an ultra cheap option for a pillowball endlink.. spl charges more for the endlinks they have than the actual swaybar.. blah
                  Make your own. It's maybe $50 in parts from McMaster.

Look at the "Swaybar Shootout" thread, PJ listed the parts he used to build his.
                  Last edited by spool_sample; 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspensionbars.html

Comment

Back from the dead....

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I/we can just add to an existing one.

I had a question regarding the rear sway bar setup. I know that most everyone runs either a stock/HICAS/no rear sway bar, but WHY?

I suppose I understand the principle of keeping the rear tires stuck to the ground regardless of body roll/pitch, but does anyone have a scientific/detailed explanation of why on the S13 chassis this is the optimal setup?

I just like to understand WHY I am modifying my car a certain way, not just taking peoples word for it. Technical jargon welcome.

Another reason I am wondering is because I have a Cusco rear sway bar just sitting here in my garage and I want to put it on...the power of christ compels me, but I know I might be hurting my rear end characteristics.

Thanks in advance,
                      Ian
                      Last edited by Riggle; 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Alot of people run cusco, whiteline, tanabe and progress bars.

Jason Rhodes actually had a largus in the rear (or was it arc pipe rear, they are also thick like largus and hollow).

So... the whole don't run a rear swaybar thing has been a patch for other issues as most have noted as of late... I hated running no rear swaybar. Car was lazy, all over the place, understeering like a @#*( turning into snap over steer. Going back to a hicas rear bar was great for me... in fact I want to get a tanabe rear in conjuction with my front.

A friend of mine made a good point... wouldn't the companies that make these products at least put some thought into designing bars? I mean... if they make a front and rear bar.. they probably thought about how these things should work in conjuction. Now of course this doesn't take into account OTHER factors (for example was it JUST designed for stock suspension or our spring rates or whatever).

I'll see how it goes for me... More of a thing doesn't necessarily mean better so err.. we'll see. It's adjustable so I can play with that...

There's only one way to truly find out what works for YOU.. and thats testing it out... alot of ppl were preaching go no rear swaybar... i did... hated it. No more. It's just a matter of testing what works and doesn't work for each person/individual car.

Comment

I'd imagine the reason it works for some people is because the front roll center migrates south with body roll and hence loads up the front tires even more. Putting a thicker front bar resists this roll and migration. The problem is much, much less of an issue up rear with the multi-link setup.

Whiteline here design their swaybars around a ride height substantially higher than anyone I know with a Silvia runs. Their recommended height has about an inch clearence between the front tire and the front guard.

Comment

I am considering sway bars and would like to know what peoples prefrences and experiences are with the various brands because I don't know whether to go with Whiteline or Progress, etc or whether to buy the front only (I already have a HICAS bar in the rear because my Silvia has HICAS).
                            1991 Silvia Q's - SR20DE

Comment

I love my new front whiteline. The brackets are POS compared to the progress ones. But the bar is great.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Working...
                              X