Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital dash install in S14

Hi guys,

Being that most of my OEM gauges wont work with my new setup, and the fact that my ECU has CAN I was thinking about a digital dash, pref one with lap read out...

Was thinking about an AIM or similar due to fairly good bang for buck considering it will display all my vitals (though ill still use two 60mm’s for water and oil temps at a glance)

Do you guys have any pics of digital dash installs in the S14’s cluster opening and if possible any opinion on what is nice and easy to see.
    Attached Files

Sasha Anis' car had an AIM

Pretty cool thread:
    http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=7879.390

Comment

Stack baby... Speaking of that, I have a little early Xmas present to myself on the way...
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I agree on a used stack, about 2007 they started adding the CAN function to tie into ECU's or aftermarket units...

I know what Def's getting for christmas
        -Monty

Comment

Another vote for stack

Comment

Just for interest, what makes you guys like stack? its quite a primative unit compared to similar priced kits on the market, especialy if you plan to use it as a primary display

Comment

Simple is best... in my opinion. I don't want a whole bunch of data to look at unless something is wrong or I decide that I want to see the data, then I can with the push of a button.

On track, what do I care about:

-a big analog tach... check.
              -Flashing lights when something goes wrong... check.
              -The ability to see what is wrong quickly (in one location, under the tach) when the lights are flashing... check.
              - Ability to use any type of input (GM boost sensor, MAF voltage, etc) and program it through the software... check.
              - Build a track map and compare between other laps... check.
              - I could probably keep going...

I've got mine configured and displaying or recording the LC-1 wideband, GM 3bar sensor, water/oil temp, and oil pressure. I still need to install my fuel pressure sensor, pedal sensor, and a steering wheel sensor.

I'll admit there are a few down sides to the stack, the GPS is not standard (can be added) so the use of a proximity sensor for speed and beacon for lap timing is on the down side compared to some of the newer units. But the positives (and deal I got) on the stack outweighed the negatives for me. After using my setup for a year now, I have no regrets on the decisions I made.

Last edited by McCoy; 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM.
              -Monty

Comment

Stack's tach isnt exactly big, its about 1/2 the size of the OEM one :-)

The reason im leaning to the AIM or similar is the whole programable warning & shift light system, I dont look down at all when im driving, all i want is pre-set warning lights to go off like a xmas-tree when somthing goes wrong and for that data to be displayed automaticaly so once ive let off i can look down, see what it is and know if its critical enough to go into a shut down lap or keep going.

Ill have a look into the latest stack, maybe they have come a bit further than when i used them last (couldnt program much)

Comment

Originally posted by Rezlo View Post
                  Stack's tach isnt exactly big, its about 1/2 the size of the OEM one :-)
                  True, but the stack dash isn't cluttered like the OEM dash is .

The reason im leaning to the AIM or similar is the whole programable warning & shift light system, I dont look down at all when im driving, all i want is pre-set warning lights to go off like a xmas-tree when somthing goes wrong and for that data to be displayed automaticaly so once ive let off i can look down, see what it is and know if its critical enough to go into a shut down lap or keep going.
                  This is exactly how I have mine setup... from about 2007 onward (ST8812 was the first, now ST8916 IIRC) the inputs are fully configurable and you can create custom inputs for anything that outputs a voltage between 0-5V.

You can tell it how long you want to alarm, how long the display shows the warning, and even wire up auxilary lights to help you see them. Best of all, you can even AND and OR conditions, so for oil pressure I have it set to alarm with pressure below 15psi AND RPM's above 2K... this way I don't alarm when the car is idling in grid.
                  -Monty

Comment

Thats neat! what they run roughly cost wise in the US?

last time i used them was 2005-2006 odd so it must have been one of the older versions

Comment

New your looking at around 2K new.

I paid $900 for an unused (3 year old) unit with most everything needed. I added the GPS module that gives me my speed and lap timer inputs and that cost me $600, but I offset that by selling off the beacon lap timer and a proximity sensor.
                      -Monty

Comment

I always like the Racepak IQ3 dash for the price, the one without data logging is around $600 new. For me I would not do the dash unless I had standalone with CAN, that makes the whole system connected which I like.

Comment

no way they are worth 2k new.
                          mine was 136,000 yen (around $1600US) (+postage and commission, which isn't much anyway)
                          that was the st8130, hopefully going to mount it this weekend
                          quick flick through of mine
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwD5zVgiKI

Comment

^^^ I was referring to the Dash + Datlogger, which do cost around $2K. ST8916. For the price of the dash, I'd prefer to spend the little extra for the datalogging ability for what I use the car for.
                            -Monty

Comment

Maybe not quite what you're looking for but cool none the less.

Comment

Working...
                              X