Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason why the toe arm bushing is different on rear uprights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason why the toe arm bushing is different on rear uprights?

I've noticed the toe arm bushings on the uprights are usually different. The toe bushings on my z uprights are similar to what is pictured above to the very right.

Basically gives very little rotation when the suspension travels compared to the stock/nismo style traction/RUCA bushing to the very left.

Is there any reason for this? Was thinking of getting some nismo/stock upright bushings and trying to figure out if I should keep what I have or go with nismo/stock style all around.

More articulation, and more rotation than the metal sleeved bushing.

I personally don't feel Nismo bushings are worth the effort given their cost, and them still having all the negatives of stock bushings, and even somewhat worse in some areas(act more like a rotational spring).
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

If you want to convert them to spherical, I'm working on finding the part number that's a press-in solution to the arm. (It's a Mazdaspeed part for the FD RX7 and had the exact same OD as our factory bushings). Only issue is it uses a 10mm bolt instead of 12mm. have to convert the factory toe adjuster cam to a 10mm, which isn't that hard. just takes some time to order a 10mm cam bolt and grind things down to fit.
      pics when I get the car back from the shop..
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

^Would really like sphericals... price is the only thing holding me back. PM sent.

Originally posted by Def View Post
        More articulation, and more rotation than the metal sleeved bushing.

I personally don't feel Nismo bushings are worth the effort given their cost, and them still having all the negatives of stock bushings, and even somewhat worse in some areas(act more like a rotational spring).
        Actually it's the other way around
        I attached an arm to each of the rubber bushings to compare and there is not nearly as much rotation on the rubber toe arm compared to the stock sleeved style bushing. Thought that was odd.

The RUCA bushings in my z uprights are blown... figured while I was replacing those I could change out the toe bushings for the metal sleeved style for better rotation.
        Last edited by marcinko; 10-10-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Maybe the z32 HICAS has something to do with that more restrictive design? Doesn't it have some kind of tie rods with ball ends that go into that bushing?

Nismo is great for classes that ban metal bushings. Stiff enough but don't bind like urethane.

Comment

^I had some S14 uprights that had something similar so it's not just the Z uprights.

^You can see in these pics the toe bushings have more rubber in them. The RUCA/traction bushings have this "t" molded design and are very sloppy compared to the toe bushings.

Thought it was odd Nissan would make the toe arm bushing stiffer.

I don't have the money for sphericals and don't want to spend $110 on nismo bushings that I would consider replacing later down the line.

I found a part number 55152-33P01 for the OEM upright bushings ($9 each) but I'm not sure if I would get the sloppy s14 ruca/traction style or the more filled in z32 ruca/traction. Going to try to clear that up at the dealership tomorrow.

Edit: checked with the dealership and that part number is for Z uprights so I'm assuming I'd get the stiffer more filled in style bushings.
            Last edited by marcinko; 10-15-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

EDIT: I lied, haha.
              Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM.
              Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

These are not HICAS uprights though. The part number on the bushing is for non HICAS.

And if you'd read the post above I mentioned s14 uprights are made the same way... stiffer toe bushings so its not specifically for HICAS.

Comment

HICAS uprights have balljoints back there, no bushings on the toe pivot.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                  X