Castor rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castor rods

Hi guys I'm thinking about making front arms castor rods for my s13. Just looking at ordering the spherical heim joints. Just wondering what people are running.

James

I'm all for making parts, but this is something where you can buy pretty nice parts right off the shelf for not much more than it'd cost you to make them.

I'd just recommend some SPL arms. They use QA1 rod ends, and are pretty good quality overall.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I made my own, and it wound up taking about $80 in parts & machine work and about 4-5 hours of labor. If you subscribe to the Time is Money credo that I do, it would have been more cost-effective for me to have just bought them aftermarket.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The easiest way to do this is modify your stock TC rods like this.

If you have access to a lathe to turn down the OEM TC rods to the correct OD to thread to 5/8''-18 then you can make these up with some tap tubing, rod ends, and some aluminum bar stock for the rod end spacers.

Pretty quick to make and inexpensive if you have access to a lathe. The rod end spacers for the front TC box bolt point would be the most difficult to home DIY without a lathe.

If you have to run around and pay normal rates for machine shop to do the other parts then it is probably more cost effective to purchase pre-made ones.
        The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to make some from scratch, I have access to a cnc.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
            I have access to a cnc.
            James
            :finger:
            I hate people like you.

Basically I did what Umai Kakudo said. mine aren't near as pretty, but I did the same thing. just took the stock arms to a machine shop and had them cut some 3/4" (I think) threads on a lathe for me. then I used some 1" DOM tubing and 3/4" nuts to make up the rest of it.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
            X