S13 Manual Steering Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S13 Manual Steering Conversion

There’s been a long-running debate about whether or not to keep PS on our cars. This thread is not intended to re-ignite that debate, or to show you how to remove a PS pump, reservoir, belts, etc. Rather, it’s to show someone how to manually loop the inlet and outlet to the rotary valve housing. For reference, this is the object that the steering shaft goes into, with 2 lines out to the rack itself and, 1 to the reservoir, and 1 to the pump. The latter two here are the ones you’ll see in the pictures.

This is just one way to do it. If you can find metric fittings with barbs on the other end, it will simplify and cheapen the mod. I went to a local race shop last week and this is what I was able to put together in a hurry.

In case you missed it in the picture, the female thread sizes for the rotary valve are metric 16x1.5 and 14x1.5. You will need to seal the connection somehow, either by using RTV, going the route I did with fittings specifically designed for steering applications, or use an o-ring boss metric fitting.

Pardon the cut-and-paste from CarolinaNissans...
    Last edited by 2Fass240us; 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM.

As a side note, I was planning using a small Tilton reservoir to increase the fluid capacity somewhat, which is why I purchased the 90° fittings. After talking to Estevan, he said the extra capacity would buy me nothing, so I ditched that idea and looped it as he recommended.

Point being, it would've been possible to get straight fittings. They are cheaper, and would have allowed me to create a loop semi-parallel to the ground. This would effectively keep it farther away from the turbine housing and not call for heat-sleeving to be used. I had some laying around, so I added it as a precautionary measure.

Comment

My steering rack has a small drip from the steering column input right there, and the various ghetto leak stops available don't seem to be making a difference. I think it happened when I did about the same setup you had(but used the stock reservoir as a breather).

Replacement racks are not cheap, and HICAS racks are retarded expensive, so the big incentive to replace the rack is not really there.

I might go back to manual and see how it feels before changing the rack out.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Are you suggesting any action on my part?

Comment

Nope - just rambling as usual.

Although if you want some input - if the effort is a bit high, especially on rapid steering input, cut the line and put a T in it running to a breather. This will allow pressure to equalize on the rack quicker.

If you do run things like this, expect your seals to go though... I know mine did.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            Although if you want some input - if the effort is a bit high, especially on rapid steering input, cut the line and put a T in it running to a breather. This will allow pressure to equalize on the rack quicker.

If you do run things like this, expect your seals to go though... I know mine did.
            I actually have a tee and small Tilton reservoir with remote mounting bracket sitting in my garage. You really think this is what caused your seals to go out?

Comment

It was fine before I ran manual steering with a little fluid in the rack for maybe 3-4k miles. I think you'll find completely filling the rack with fluid sucks ass on the effort side of things. Getting most of it out of there really helps things out, but it was still a bit tiring after 20 mins on track and I found it hard to keep the car on the limit. YMMV on that, but that's my experience.

Sucks too, because I think manual steering would rock on these cars if we could get a true manual rack.

Comment

There was one guy doing custom manual rack on zilvia, im lazy to get the link now, was going to be a group buy, but nothing happened after a while...
                "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Plus it was the stock ratio. If you're gonna get a custom manual rack, at least get something as quick as the HICAS rack.
                  ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                  ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=171644

this is what i was talking about
                    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                      Plus it was the stock ratio. If you're gonna get a custom manual rack, at least get something as quick as the HICAS rack.
                      Dude was saying it was a stock HICAS ratio, which is probably a bit hairy when manual, much less anything faster than that.

Comment

Oh, I thought it was the stock ratio. Maybe he edited that? Maybe I'm just remembering wrong. I like how my steering feels with bigger tires and more caster. Maybe I need to drive one of these cars with legendary steering to see what I'm missing out on.
                        ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                        X