Car Won't Start... Sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Won't Start... Sometimes

So I drove home two days ago to grab some things and go out again and when I got back in my car it wouldn't start. I took my sentra instead, came home later and tried to start my car just for kicks and it started right up. Thinking this was just a one time problem, I drove to school yesterday, drove home, and when I went to go out again, my car wouldn't start again. It doesn't even try to turn over. Its not the battery or else it wouldn't have started just fine when I tried later. As a matter of fact, it doesn't do much of anything. No noises what so ever. Does anyone know what this could be?

If the engine doesn't spin and there's no noise beside a relay or 2, then it's the starter solenoid.
    She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Yep, I've had this before with past sentra's... sounds like the starter solenoid is starting to go.
      -Monty

Comment

This has the potential to be a very simple fix. Before you go off checking relays and solenoids, check the connection at your battery terminals. I know it sounds too easy, but I've seen it work many times, so I suggest trying. Good luck.

Comment

The last time something like that happened to me, it was the starter. Push starting is a bitch.

Comment

Check the little rubber "button" on your clutch pedal that depresses the clutch safety interlock. Mine fell apart and it took me a while to figure it out. You have just enough play in the pedal to make the switch hit the edge of where the "button" goes, so sometimes it starts, othertimes it won't do anything(no relays click, nothing).
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I guess ill check the battery terminals first and then move on to the starter. If it is that starter that would be pretty ironic because it first did this on my way to my friends house to replace his starter!

Comment

My friend and I both had the clutch interlock relays fail in our s13s, or at least something in that whole circuit. I just grabbed a wire and jumped the relay and it worked fine. Took a while to figure out what it was, though, because it would intermittently work. Ended up replacing the starter, got a jacked up replacement from schuck's, then had to do it again, THEN figured out it was the clutch interlock relay.

Alex

Comment

I just jumped it and it started so that rules out clutch relay and starter solenoid. I guess its something electrical.

Comment

Now I've been driving it around without incident since I got it to start and I had another problem yesterday. I was in neutral coasting down an off ramp and as I was braking for the red light, the car died. It wasn't a rough stall, it just stopped working. I started it again and it works fine but the clock was off telling me there was no electricity at one point in time. What the hell is going on?

Comment

Check the alternator.

Comment

I will. It just seems weird because the car runs fine for extended periods of time. If it was the alternator it theoretically should die immediately after a jump. My cousin told me his amp fried his alternator twice so he had to buy a capacitor. Could that be causing the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by rockdrummer027 View Post
                          I will. It just seems weird because the car runs fine for extended periods of time. If it was the alternator it theoretically should die immediately after a jump. My cousin told me his amp fried his alternator twice so he had to buy a capacitor. Could that be causing the problem?
                          Possibly, you won't really know until you check. Could be a loose connection or ground somewhere that's causing it to be intermittent.

I just figure alternator since the car lost power while you were driving.

Comment

Working...
                          X