Turbo to manifold nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo to manifold nuts

So I've had a problem with these backing off recently(end of my last DE). This DE they kept backing off. I'm talking 1-2 mins on track and freshly tightened deformed thread locknuts were falling off.

The turbine inlet gasket is now looking like a piece of bomb fragment now.

So conveniently I ordered turbo to manifold locking plates from the dealer a week ago, and have a new turbo to toss on. But after this trouble, I'm wondering if I should go a step further. I'm thinking maybe copper lock nuts from FRSport(http://www.frsport.com/FRSport-Turbo...ut_p_3096.html), along with the locking plates? If that doesn't work...

The other option is to put a tack weld on each nut. That will definitely hold them, and I'm honestly leaning towards this route. At worse I could just grind them off if I'm every pulling the turbo. Given the problems I've had, I'm kind of leaning that way though.

Option 3 is safety wire, but I'd rather avoid this, as it's still possible for wired nuts to loosen slightly, and the turbine gasket doesn't do much good if it isn't compressed.

My downpipe to transmission mount is a little bit knackered(stretched), so that might be contributing to the issue, and I plan to fix it. But I want to make sure this is NEVER an issue again.

Thoughts?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Interesting. I've never had an issue with them. Mine have been on there for 2 years now since it was last off and have survived many a kerb bash. I've destroyed a brand new exhaust system but the nuts haven't loosened. Could something else be at play here?

Comment

Those locking plates never failed me before so I'm sure you'll be OK with the combination you have listed.

Comment

I use locking plates, deformed thread, and the biggest difference maker was the DP to trans bracket. You have one on there?

Comment

I have one on there, but it's the stock "bushing" bracket and it was tearing a bit last I looked as it was stretching some.

I'm betting something happened to it, so I'll probably redo that, I just want to make sure I don't have any issues with it at another track event.

I never had problems on the street.

Comment

add lock washers as well?

I'd definitely get a solid DP-tranny bracket and put in a flex pipe after the cat. The ones they sell with the flex part on the DP are probably useless, since the tranny and engine are bolted solidly together - flexing should only happen from the cat to the rear.
            Last edited by hai1206vn; 09-11-2010, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Put stainless steel lockwashers and deformed thread M8 locknuts on twice - they both lasted around 3 mins +/- 30 secs on track.

Comment

Stock turbo's are installed that way.

They don't unbolt them selves but they aren't strong. So any movement in your muffler with a 3 inch downpipe will kill them. They failed when I had rubber exaust mounts, but survived when i went solid tranny hanger and poly hangers.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Why not drill into the side of the nuts and safety wire them so they can't back out?

Comment

With safety wire they can still loose tension then you blow out the gasket.

A new deformed thread locknut has held all day, but the gasket is trashed so it's still slow to spool. And I boiled the clutch fluid. Never seen that happen before.

Comment

It never happend before because maybe you werent using a trashed gasket. Exaust fumes probably boiled your oil. Lousy LHD's lol

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

I'll vote for safety wire.

I've had a similar problem and that ended up being the best solution after using metal lock-nuts, double nutting, etc. I wish there was a form of loctite that worked on high heat applications.
                        1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                        1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                        2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

There is, it's called "a tack weld"
                          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I use a stainless M8 locknut, a home-made locking plate, and the downpipe has a solid bracket from the transmission. The solid downpipe bracket takes a ton of stress off the manifold and associated bolts. Haven't had a problem with it since, and I used to crack manifolds and turbo studs like it was my job before.

Comment

is there a place to buy the tranny hanger or do most of you guys fab them up?

I've been wanting to get one for a while but I don't do any sort of fabrication

Comment

Working...
                              X