Oil feed fitting leaking issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil feed fitting leaking issue.

I hate to have to make a thread but I haven't found and answer yet.

I am having issues with my oil feed reducer.
    Here is the link: http://www.240sxmotoring.com/tababeoilre.html

First the flared fitting that mates to the turbo seems to be leaking.

I have applied till now my full strength given the space of my engine bay with the manifold unbolted from the engine and still on the turbo and still plugged to the water lines, lets say 30*4 inch tool so 120 pounds/inch or 10 lbs/feet.

I would like to know what is the torque I should be aiming for(in a figurative way because there is no way to fit a torque wrench in there.)

http://www.240sxmotoring.com/cisps13srtul.html

Second the AN line for the oil feed seems to soon bottom out when screwed on onto the same fitting. I believe that in not normal.

But that I will be probably contact the vendor.

Any info is appreciated,

Its a GT2871. So a garret GT series.
    Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

10 ft lbs is probably right. You didn't do anything "stupid" like put teflon tape on the threads?

That fitting seals on the flare in the turbo CHRA btw, not on the threads(they're not tapered).

Any crap on the flare can keep it from sealing.

Pics would help on the AN line. Keep in mind that won't bottom out on the hex, it is going to seal on the flare.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
      10 ft lbs is probably right. You didn't do anything "stupid" like put teflon tape on the threads?

That fitting seals on the flare in the turbo CHRA btw, not on the threads(they're not tapered).

Any crap on the flare can keep it from sealing.

Pics would help on the AN line. Keep in mind that won't bottom out on the hex, it is going to seal on the flare.
      Srry I mean flared I will correct it.

No I just oiled the fitting and try torquing it down a second time. A little hard when its in the car.

Well maybe its a defective fitting but it is getting dangerously close to bottoming out. Pics are in a couple of days...

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Have you looked at the male flange to see if the marking were it comes in contact with the female flange is uniform?

Comment

Yeah that a good idea... only problem is that it would probably require the unmating of the manifold and turbo which I really don't want to do again, locking tabs and all.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Oh damn that sucks, is it in a ****ty spot? You could try one of those mirrors on a stick they sell at the parts store. I have one thats worth its weight in gold.

Comment

Yea, you might be able to get a mirror in there. Flared fittings are great when both faces are in good shape. If they have nicks or trash on them - no bueno.

There are also copper crush washers you can put on the faces to act as a soft gasket material. They will fix the leaking 99% of the time unless the faces are truly screwed up.

Search for JIC gaskets or sealing washers - something like that. They're usually used in industrial settings(hence the JIC name, which is the industrial equivalent of AN fittings).

Comment

Yeah really ****ty spot. No keys can tighten the fitting when its bolted on the car.

Thats a good idea Def! But I will still have to remove everything lol.

Something like that right? http://www.hydrasun.com/catalogue/page.aspx?i=416

I will try to go to the hydraulic store next Saturday.

That will also correct my height problem.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Yep, that's them.

Comment

is the fitting aluminum? i've had bad luck with aluminum fittings being threaded into chra housings. over time they seem to leak slightly, at least in my case with an oil feed adapter. tightening it some more just resulted in stripping it. maybe it's the material difference, i dont know. could also be the rough threads in the chra. i replaced my oil feed fitting with a stainless one and it seems to work well.

Comment

The fitting is made out of black oxyde steel , so I expect to be fukin' hard. And its leaking from the turbo side. So the fitting is maybe not mating properly with the turbos flare.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Fuuuuuuuuuuu. pics soon...

Fail... The piping still is able to turn.

Barely mated on the tip...

No probs here mated a lot.

Sucks that I work 8-5...sigh... I will have to wait till Saturday.

Canadian tire don't have it, neither home depot.

me: "Sir do you have some crush washers for flared fitting?"

Sir: "Crush washers for flared? That doesn't exist."

me: "thank you, that saves me a lot of time looking "
                        Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Grind the **** out of the ferrule. Not sure what the deal is, but that ferrule looks like as hell.

Ferrule = female tube nut on the tubing. You want to take off about 1/8" all the way around to let the fitting seat. It bottoming out on the restrictor hex is what is keeping it from sealing. That's a NO NO.

Comment

I know that mommy Def. lol

"but that ferrule looks like as hell"

Whats wrong with that Ferrule? I really think the fitting is too short.
                            Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 09-09-2010, 08:52 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Like as hell = long as hell. Sorry, phone typing there. Fitting hex is too large/fitting male is packing too little - your pick. You need to get that thing slamming in there and totally bottoming out on the female lady parts. DO IT!

Comment

Working...
                              X