S14 front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 front wheel bearings

I know it's been discussed on here that the S14 front wheel bearings are integral to the hub. I've checked Courtesy Parts and Nissan Parts CC and they both only list the front hub assembly and not individual parts. However, if you go to the major stores like Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly's or Rock Auto, they all list replacement front wheel bearings for the S14. Between them I see Timken, SKF and National Bearing numbers listed for the S14. The Timken and National Bearing number is 510031 and the SKF number is FW123. The listed dimensions are 1.1811" ID x 2.6772" OD x 1.771 width. Can anyone shed light on this subject?
    Last edited by djsilver; 08-22-2010, 09:06 AM. Reason: corrected given dimensions
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Some people before you have tried this before and it is not true. They found out the hard way after purchasing the separate bearings for the front hubs (S14 that is).

Don't do it.

Comment

I'm not going to try it. I had forgotten about the subject and just got frustrated all over again yesterday when I was trying to track down an S14 hub for an aquaintance. The ID for the given bearing is 30mm and the S14 spindle is 34mm so it's not even close.

Edit; I went back and looked up the S13 front wheel bearing and this is it. I guess the bearing manufacturers either assumed that it carried through all years or maybe at some point early in the production run for S14's maybe they did have pressed in bearings....,
      Last edited by djsilver; 08-22-2010, 09:08 AM.
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

They seem to mess up one wheel bearings frequently. Autozone has the same bearing for B13 as B14 and the B14 bearing is bigger.

Schucks/O'Reilly has the correct part though.

Big pain if you are in a time crunch and aren't sure which is right until you get everything off.
        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

How hard would it be or would it be a problem to retrofit(or the other way around..) An s13 knuckle (or upright for formula fans) and lower table aka lower control arm . Because the S14 seems expensive in that area on maintenance.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
            They seem to mess up one wheel bearings frequently. Autozone has the same bearing for B13 as B14 and the B14 bearing is bigger.

Schucks/O'Reilly has the correct part though.

Big pain if you are in a time crunch and aren't sure which is right until you get everything off.
            Oh god, there is nothing more frustarting than wheel bearings for B13/14 or NX, as well as rotors

'is it american made, or japanese made' further makes it worse haha, as they are all J code, but yet parts computers list both
            'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
            [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
            [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
              I know it's been discussed on here that the S14 front wheel bearings are integral to the hub.
              I even tried to press one out, after putting 20 tons on it and it not budging one bit I gave up and bought new hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto347 View Post
                I even tried to press one out, after putting 20 tons on it and it not budging one bit I gave up and bought new hubs.
                I am sure they are assembled with heat, you just need to find the appropriate temperature and it might slide out :P

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

The bearings must be taken apart. They do not press out.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ike-I-Did.aspx

^Read this.

I just did this to my s14 bearings the other week. It's not as easy as it seems. Be sure to put everything back in the same order... the "crowns" are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto347 View Post
                    heat is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by CodyAce View Post
                      heat is your friend

Hope you are talking about the rear hubs... as mentioned fronts need to be taken apart.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkInProgressK View Post
                        I am sure they are assembled with heat, you just need to find the appropriate temperature and it might slide out :P
                        Let's clear this up. Sorry if I caused any confusion;

The rear wheel bearings are integral to the "bearing assembly" on S13 and S14 (300zx too) When they go bad you have to replace the whole "bearing assembly". You can reuse your hubs if you can get the inner races off after you press them out of the bearing assemby. There are aftermarket rear bearing assemblies available but I don't know if any of them have pressed in bearings.

The front wheel bearings on the S13 hubs can be pressed out but the S14 hubs must be replaced as an assembly. The only way to get around this on the S14 is to buy aftermarket 5 lug hubs that have the bearings pressed in. I can't vouch for the quality but there are some on fleabay; http://tinyurl.com/38c4ruz

Thanks, DJ
                        Don Johnson (really!)
                        Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by marcinko View Post
                          Hope you are talking about the rear hubs... as mentioned fronts need to be taken apart.
                          Yea, I had a hell of time pressing mine out, and just some torch heat like we use on truck stuff to press and it worked great!

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
                            Let's clear this up. Sorry if I caused any confusion;

The rear wheel bearings are integral to the "bearing assembly" on S13 and S14 (300zx too) When they go bad you have to replace the whole "bearing assembly". You can reuse your hubs if you can get the inner races off after you press them out of the bearing assemby. There are aftermarket rear bearing assemblies available but I don't know if any of them have pressed in bearings.

The front wheel bearings on the S13 hubs can be pressed out but the S14 hubs must be replaced as an assembly. The only way to get around this on the S14 is to buy aftermarket 5 lug hubs that have the bearings pressed in. I can't vouch for the quality but there are some on fleabay; http://tinyurl.com/38c4ruz

Thanks, DJ
                            What were nissan thinking....

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

they were thinking..."hey we never sold any replacement bearings in S13 front hubs, the only people that have these on the road long enough to need replacements are those silly round eyes in America, we'll make a fortune selling hubs vs. bearings and it won't cost the Japanese market $.05"

and then they thought about sushi and sake
                              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Working...
                              X