Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have issues with Earls ProLite (black fabric) hoses collapsing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone have issues with Earls ProLite (black fabric) hoses collapsing?

    Image:


    Link:
    Earl s Performance 351010ERL - Earl's Performance Pro-Lite 350 Hose - Overview - SummitRacing.com

    I've had 3 instances recently with my ProLite earls hose collapsing/tearing on some -10 hose (on two seperate vehicles). Now my -4 stuff I use on my vacuum lines has worked great, as has my -6 for the fuel lines, but some crazy reason, the -10 junk just seems to not hold up so well.

    In my application, I was using it for the reservoir to pump feed line. No pressure (gravity) not near a super amount of heat (manifold and turbine are swain coated, but I've got other hoses closer), and yet twice now they have failed on me. Yes Im' assembling them correctly, as I've made hundreds of lines.

    On a friends car, the same thing happened, except it was for a cooler line.


    Has anyone else had an issue with this, or was it just an odd case? I've never had an issue with the stainless lined stuff though, however both are rated for similar pressure/heat range.
    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

  • #2
    I've run into this on OEM hoses and softer rubber hoses before, but never had experience with those lines.

    one of the things people have to do sometimes to prevent line collapse is to insert a coil spring inside it to hold the round shape. it's much more common on radiator hoses, but I'm sure you could do the same with that line as well.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea that certainly would have fixed the issue up, I just didn't have any here at our shop to roll in there (we've got big rig stuff only hehe)

      I've since went to the stainless ones, but we'll see.
      'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
      [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
      [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

      Comment


      • #4
        Yep, used -8, -10, and -12 ProLite at work and it was all really flimsy. Was not a fan of it. It'll hold pressure, and it saves a little bit of weight, but it seems stupid soft compared to even radiator hose.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


        DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi guys,

          I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I've just joined the forum and work for the parent company that owns Earl's and wanted to see if I could offer up some advice.

          First off, to the OP, what kind of hose ends were you using? Prolite 350 is only made for use with Earl's Auto-Fit, Swivel-Seal and Auto-Crimp Hose Ends. I'm sure you know what you're doing when it comes to cutting and assembling hose so I'll leave that option alone.

          I also spoke with our Earl's Product Manager in regard to this and this is what he said Verbatim: "Not sure why he is experiencing this issue, especially on non-pressure side lines. This hose is made for our hose ends, and I didn’t see the kind of Earl’s hose ends he was using, but he sounds competent in the assembly and routing side of this kind of plumbing, so it isn’t the usual issues. The solution for his particular problem is to run his -10 with the new Pro-Lite Ultra. The stainless inner hoop under the nylon will give structural integrity to the line without having to use an inner spring – increasing flow friction. It might be over kill for this line, but it will match his Pro-Lite 350 in looks and if it fails again he definitely will have to look elsewhere for what is causing the line to fail."

          There you have it, Kevin said it better than I could haha. Let me know what you've done to alleviate this issue if you've done so since the time that you originally encountered the problem. I just wanted to offer up some help and some technical knowledge from our end that would assist in avoiding this problem in the future.
          Last edited by s14blane; 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM. Reason: wrong wording

          Comment


          • #6
            LOL yeah but kevin never thinks earls products are to blame...

            What happened to earls #1 noticed it's closed now
            I am SKULLWORKS

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Tower,

              If you're referring to Tom Neely's store in SoCal, Neely Motorsports, he is a distributor of our product. It's still open and it's called Race Store 1. You should shop there, he's a great guy!

              Nonetheless, I just wanted to find out what Codyace ended up doing to resolve the situation he experienced and offer some legitimate help on the issue.

              Thanks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Did it move??? the earl's branded store (previously earl's #1) on hawthorne under the 405 is dark and empty

                15827 Hawthorne Blvd. Lawndale CA 90260
                I am SKULLWORKS

                Comment


                • #9
                  BMRS = win

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The ProLite hose you can collapse in larger sizes with your fingers. The inlet to the PS pump is under a high amount of vacuum at high pump speeds. Combine that with higher temperatures and it's easy to see hose like this collapsing since the braid isn't bonded to the rubber.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                    DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey thanks for at least looking into it!

                      Originally posted by s14blane View Post
                      First off, to the OP, what kind of hose ends were you using? Prolite 350 is only made for use with Earl's Auto-Fit, Swivel-Seal and Auto-Crimp Hose Ends. I'm sure you know what you're doing when it comes to cutting and assembling hose so I'll leave that option alone.
                      I use the Earls swivel seal with all of the earls hose that use fluids. For my vacuum lines I used the Summitt cheapy ones as I did the vacuum lines with a friends old fitting assortment.

                      I purchased them from Summit(the Earls ones). Nice pieces. As far as assembly, I put them together like any of them we do here at the shop, using the aluminum vise claw thingies and gear lube and the wrench.

                      Originally posted by s14blane View Post
                      I also spoke with our Earl's Product Manager in regard to this and this is what he said Verbatim: "Not sure why he is experiencing this issue, especially on non-pressure side lines. This hose is made for our hose ends, and I didn’t see the kind of Earl’s hose ends he was using, but he sounds competent in the assembly and routing side of this kind of plumbing, so it isn’t the usual issues. The solution for his particular problem is to run his -10 with the new Pro-Lite Ultra. The stainless inner hoop under the nylon will give structural integrity to the line without having to use an inner spring – increasing flow friction. It might be over kill for this line, but it will match his Pro-Lite 350 in looks and if it fails again he definitely will have to look elsewhere for what is causing the line to fail."
                      Routing wise it's a simply route fro the reservoir to the pump itself...not hard bends just a nice gentle sweep.

                      I actually made the hose again out of the prolite only to experience the same issue.

                      To fix the issue, I ended up going to our truck supply shop, and getting some heavy duty hose used for hydraulic lines, and using steel fittings. Haven't had an issue since.


                      Originally posted by Def View Post
                      The ProLite hose you can collapse in larger sizes with your fingers. The inlet to the PS pump is under a high amount of vacuum at high pump speeds. Combine that with higher temperatures and it's easy to see hose like this collapsing since the braid isn't bonded to the rubber.
                      And this is what it seemed like to me as well...doesn't seem like the hose itself failed, but that the vacuum in the pump sucked it shut.


                      FWIW: I was using Goodrich Hose the other day at the Porsche Shop, and I'll say that stuff is just as wacky as the prolite...very thin inner tubing, and a much different hose end (the fitting threads into the hose only, and the outer 'shell' just serves as a protector of sorts. Expensive stuff too.
                      'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                      [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                      [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've gotten more into using Push lock type hoses for stuff lately. So ridiculously easy to put them together, and no getting poked in the finger with a piece of SS braid.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                        DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Def View Post
                          I've gotten more into using Push lock type hoses for stuff lately. So ridiculously easy to put them together, and no getting poked in the finger with a piece of SS braid.
                          I was always really aprehensive about Push-Loc, but it seems to work great now for everyone. I know we have some pushloc stuff for air lines, so I dunno why I was always worried :/
                          'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                          [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                          [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I don't know if it will help, but I've used a lot of the Summit Twist Tight or whatever it is. Not had a problem yet.
                            Just put it on my power steering, so i"ll let you know how that works out.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I use Pro-Lite with Swivel-Seal for everything in my bay except for the turbo feed and turbo drain which are both SS hose.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X