Power steering pump options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump options?

I know there's been a thread about electric and electric/hydraulic conversions but I haven't seen anything about alternative conventional power steering pumps. I looked at the pumps from the SOHC S13, DOHC S13 and S14, as well as the Z32 NA versions. The SOHC S13 and Z32 NA pumps look the same but the Z32 has a higher pressure spec (1200psi vs 1000). The S13 DOHC and S14 look the same but the S14 has a higher pressure spec (1300 vs 1100). The only major external difference is that the discharge on the SOHC/Z32 NA version is pointing the opposite direction of the DOHC versions. I haven't found any info on the displacement of the pumps so that's a black hole for now. The pressures and operating flow rates are controlled by the relief valve/spool in the discharge of the pumps and are probably interchangeable.

I did a google image search for aluminum power steering pumps and found that the KRC brand of racing pumps looks just like the DOHC S13/S14 pump. They have aluminum pumps with displacements of 5.9cc, 7.2cc and 9.6cc capable of running up to 9000 rpm. They also offer a number of different reliefs and spools valves for pressures up to 1600psi and flows up to 3.3gpm. The 5.9cc is the "superspeedway" model, the 7.2cc is their "standard" version and the 9.6cc is the "high capacity" model for dirt late models, cars with "quickeners" and for marine applications.

I've been running Redline synthetic in my S13 pump but I still notice that I occasionally "run out" of power steering in quick/tight sections of autocross. It could be a failing pump, as it's started making noises. I had planned on getting stuff together to do a pressure test, but since it's started making noise I'll probably just replace it. The class I run in now doesn't allow add-on coolers or different pumps but I'm probably going to a class that does next year. Has anyone run across pump displacement or flow spec's for the 240sx anywhere? The FSM only has pressure spec's.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

There was a similar problem posted in a thread a while back. the guy installed a larger 350Z reservoir and his problem went away.
    It would be something that nobody could really complain about- it's not a cooler and it's not changing the pump.. :shrug:
    Unless you're at Runoffs, nobody's going to say anything about it.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm debating running a larger res. myself. Probably just fab it up and go with it. The cooler I added certainly helped though!
      'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
      [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
      [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
        I've been running Redline synthetic in my S13 pump but I still notice that I occasionally "run out" of power steering in quick/tight sections of autocross. It could be a failing pump, as it's started making noises. I had planned on getting stuff together to do a pressure test, but since it's started making noise I'll probably just replace it. The class I run in now doesn't allow add-on coolers or different pumps but I'm probably going to a class that does next year. Has anyone run across pump displacement or flow spec's for the 240sx anywhere? The FSM only has pressure spec's.
        I am def having the same problem. I run through a real tight section or slalom and I lose my power steering about 1/2 way through and it REALLY throws of my rythym and "chi".

Resevoir is filled to the brim and it wears a little elastic hanes sock over the cap since it LOVES to spill everywhere. I read up on the 350 PS resevoir and its leakproofness (new word) in another thread, but does anyone think it will solve my "running out" of PS problem? It functions fine at track events and any other time, its just the tight sections at AutoX that I get this condition. Its like the pump cant keep up with my demand.

Fluid is new, no leaks at all anywhere so I doubt I am losing pressure. Just wondering if anyone came up with a fix for this or has had this issue?

Thought I would bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Comment

are you boiling the fluid?

I've had good luck with redline high temp ATF in mine.

Comment

I dont think I am boiling the fluid as the runs/underhood temps are not that high. I guess its possible, but upon cap removal its just regular looking ATF, no bubbles/froth/foam.

I guess not many people are having this problem so it may be something that is wrong with my system/car. I will try the redline stuff along with the 350Z resevoir and see if that fixes anything.

Originally posted by gawdzilla View Post
            are you boiling the fluid?

I've had good luck with redline high temp ATF in mine.
            Are you running a cooler at all? Or just the fluid change?

I am going to be redoing the rubber hoses/hose clamps since they are original and the rubber is hard as a rock, so when I dump my fluid anyways I will just refill with the redline stuff.

Comment

The stock HP line has a braided metal coil in it that gives it similar flow capacity to a- 3 AN line. I'm not surprised some people could outrun that flow into the rack during autox.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I started re-plumbing my power steering to eliminate leaks. I can tell you that the -10 AN pump feed fitting from KRC is a perfect fit to the stock pump.

That let me use a Speedway Motors -10 standard reservoir. Huge capacity and quite inexpensive at $25. It even mounted in the stock location with a bracket bolted to the stock bracket.

Comment

^ Baller info man. I love little info nuggets like that. Did you use standard braided hose like normal -AN lines use and make your own lengths?

I would assume so, but just checking to be sure.

Anyone have any foresight on what swaps over from the KA and the SR20? I have not looked into it but I have a KA24E in the vehicle now, and will most likely be switching things up to an SR over the next winter here as it conforms to my local club rules for engine swaps. Basically I dont want to do everything for the KA when I cannot switch it over to my new motor setup.

Bah, damn modified cars!

Makes me want to go out and buy a C5 Z06, put some pads, fluid, tires on it and call it a day. But where is the fun in that?

Comment

I had to use my Sohc pump on my SR when I did my swap as my clip came with a Hicas pump, I just swapped everything over, never even thought about it, and it's been working for ~8 years that way, just juggled the brackets and maybe the pulley
                    I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

^ Thanks for the verified info.

Hate when the forums speculate, makes for bad decisions which you can attribute to uneducated total strangers.

Just for posterity. I had this condition even with my stock 15's on XS's, I then switched the wheels to 17's and now run 255 XS's and the condition has stayed the same. It may be a little more pronounced now that I have added more weight, which is why it has started to bother me again. I can seriously think of 4-5 times already this season that I had a cone/botched run from running out of the PS.

I think the lines will be the key here, but I am going to try the good ol' band-aid method first and try some good fluid and that 350z resevoir. Its so cheap its worth it just to try for me. AN fittings/lines can get out of control fast $ wise.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Best forum out there, period, end of story.

Comment

Is it possible you are sucking the feed line shut?

you'd be better off with a manual rack than an intermittent power one
                        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                          Is it possible you are sucking the feed line shut?

you'd be better off with a manual rack than an intermittent power one
                          It is totally possible I suppose, the line does not have kink/pinch marks on it anywhere though, so it leads me to believe thats not the case. But I cant be sure since its just rubber after all.

Manual rack as in no power steering, or manual rack like on a old Porsche? I would like to keep the power steering as it masks the reality of my S13's heavy/unprecise/lethargic steering.

Having the power steering makes it seem nimble and agile like a deer, or a Miata. Whichever you fancy.

Comment

I was just commenting that a constant is better than an intermittent variable
                            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                              I was just commenting that a constant is better than an intermittent variable
                              Would 100% agree, but I dont think I would fare very well with no power steering at auto-x?

Does anyone else run no power steering on their S chassis at auto-x?

Track days are no big deal, but seems like quite a chore juking that steering wheel all fast n **** with no voodoo to help you.

Comment

Working...
                              X