Ace's S14 Street Mod Updates: Toledo Pro Updates Pg3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace's S14 Street Mod Updates: Toledo Pro Updates Pg3

On the way back from the SCCA Finger Lakes National Tour, and have some thoughts on recent changes I thought I'd jot down here.

First off, we tried to up the plug gap and boost, thinking we had fixed our coil issues in DC. We were apparently wrong, which we found out during the Test and Tune day (Friday), so I went back to the drawing board and started looking at my AEM calibration settings. It turns out I had screwed with Pickup Delay Comp to try and reduce timing drift, and it may have been screwing everything up. I also had my Max Teeth for coil dwell set to 15, whereas the writeup on KA-T.org had it at 4.5. I reset everything (Pickup Delay Comp to 0, Max Teeth dwell to 4.5, Min Teeth dwell to 0.05) and now we're getting zero breakup with ignition. Preliminary tests had us boosting at 19psi, which rocked our socks off in a good way. It made a huge difference, as Sunday's course had us banging off the 7200rpm rev limiter (I've heard bad things about 7300, so I try not to cross it).

Secondly, I'm sure most of you have seen that I've recently attempted to correct my roll centers. I can definitely say that they make a world of difference, noticed by both regular drivers (myself and Dave White), as well as our guest driver for the weekend (Todd Keane driving the car in SSM, also from the NER region). The car can now turn in and load up instantly, and throttling on corner exit no longer results in massive inner wheel spin with the helical diff (we'll see how it fares in Toledo on the sticky concrete). Combining this with the newly re-acquired power, the car felt unstoppable.

Which brings me to the results: I'd like to say we did well, but we actually drove pretty poorly. Day 1 started out OK, with Todd spinning on his initial run, but eventually working his way into 2nd place, only 3 tenths off the SSM leader. Dave and I, however, brought a raincloud in with Dave pegging cones on all 3 runs despite blistering fast times, and myself having cones on runs 1 and 2, going for an overly-safe run 1.2 behind the SM leader. Day 2 wasn't much better, with Todd copying my Day 1 performance by coning runs 1 and 2, and settling for a safe run to keep his 2nd place position by a mere hundredth of a second. Dave again had the raw fastest times of the class, but again had cones on all 3 runs. I myself put in a safe run to start with to secure the 2nd spot, but couldn't manage to get a good run in and pulled mediocre times for runs 2 and 3. In the end, Todd finished 2nd in SSM, and myself and Dave finished 2 and 3 respectively in SM.

For the most part, I'm pretty happy with the results, as we've won a couple more Hoosiers in contingency, and we're more confident in the car than ever. This is really good news with the Toledo ProSolo coming next weekend, where our competition will be more than just a BSP prepped car.

Pics and videos to come soon.

Awesome job!! Keep it up!!
    - Phil
    1995 240sx | KA24DE-T 309whp, 368lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
      we've won a couple more Hoosiers in contingency
      I'll take em if you don't want em.

Sorry to hear that you weren't as happy as you'd like to be with the outcome, but congrats on getting the car pegged and building confidence in it.

-Andy

Comment

I've got a couple 285/30/R18's I'm gonna throw away. They're pretty heat cycled but they're yours for shipping + handling. Might have some 315/30/R18's lying around that are in way better condition, but not sure if I'm getting rid of them if I can get them to fit on a stock body G35 coupe (front and rear). That's a different story, though.

Just looked through the results. My co-driver's fastest raw times are almost as fast as David Newman's nationally competitive XP car that was there (he ran in EM so he'd have more competition, and spanked 'em). Definitely a good indication of things to come

Comment

There was this guy named Todd Kean with an s14 in SSM??? He ran pretty good times too.

Comment

Todd is a friend of mine (see my original post) who was originally going to drive a BSP car. The car owner unfortunately couldn't make it, so I offered him a ride in the 240 in SSM thinking he had a decent shot at winning a tire or two. Turns out it was a good call, as he provided a lot of good feedback, and won a tire with his 2nd place finish.

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
              Todd is a friend of mine (see my original post) who was originally going to drive a BSP car. The car owner unfortunately couldn't make it, so I offered him a ride in the 240 in SSM thinking he had a decent shot at winning a tire or two. Turns out it was a good call, as he provided a lot of good feedback, and won a tire with his 2nd place finish.
              I'm clueless on the auto-x lingo. What does that mean?
              oh, congrats btw.
              1995 Fouki S14 - re-energized ka-t project!
              1999 F150 - gas guzzler parts getter
              1989 Toyota Pickup - mandatory Pomona abandoned-in-driveway vehicle
              2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive hatch - "The only 40mpg econobox worth driving"

Comment

Originally posted by ManoNegra View Post
                I'm clueless on the auto-x lingo. What does that mean?
                oh, congrats btw.
                There's a bunch of contingencies for SCCA National Tour and ProSolo events. The biggest one is usually tires, Hoosier being the one that applies to me. National Tour events are pretty mild, 2 free tires for a win, 1 for a 2nd place (http://scca.com/documents/contingenc...er-Solo-NT.pdf). There's a a bunch more as well, including $750 from AST and cash from certain manufacturers.

ProSolo has more, with the Super Challenge adding another level to contingencies. 2 tires for the class win from Hoosier, with 4 for the overall Challenge win. At over $300 per tire, that's a decent deal. The cash prizes have dropped, though, with Honda only giving out $500 for a challenge win and $150 for a class win (I recall it being like $1000 for the challenge?). Unfortunately, Nissan Motorsport dropped out of its contingency deal a while ago.

It's nothing close to what it used to be. I've heard stories of the top guys winning enough to nearly make a living in the heyday. Still, it's not bad for an amateur motorsport.

That actually reminds me: I need new brake pads. Need to get an event win for $100 from Hawk.

Comment

You need 3 people in a class to win the tires though. People will move up in class to make sure there are enough people. I know one guy that rented a car and had 2 friends drive it in a class so he could win the tires as there was no one else signed up. Not quite on the up and up but it happens.

Ace, how fast were you going when you hit the rev limiter? I'm not sure I like my gearing after going to all the trouble to raise it 3 mph. Just wondering if low 60's is enough for most tours and nats.

Comment

We're at 72mph on the rev limiter as calculated by tire size and gearing. On Sunday's course our average speed was around 47mph (according to the AEM datalogger). I'd estimate most National level courses are geared to a 35-65mph spread (at least for an SM 240).

Comment

Originally posted by logr View Post
                      I'm not sure I like my gearing after going to all the trouble to raise it 3 mph. Just wondering if low 60's is enough for most tours and nats.
                      Too tall, or not tall enough?
                      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Possibly too tall. I used an online calculator and had 66 before but according to MaxQ I really only had 63mph. Wonder if Ace really has 72 or is lower than the calculator says.
                        Put in the 3.99 which should give me 66 or 69mph, depends on who you believe.

Bottom line is this last weekend in Packwood, I never even approached the limiter on a Tour site, on a course designed by Tour people. I could feel the difference coming out of corners and it seemed like there was lag.

There is a question. Does a turbo spool up slower when the air is HOT? It was very hot last weekend, upper 90's, and it seemed to take forever to get to boost.

Comment

I never notice a difference in how fast the turbo spools due to temperature. Can't think of a theoretical reason why it'd do that either.

The longer gears make it seem like the turbo is lazy coming on though since it'll hold it at lower revs longer. There's "more load," but mass flow is what lets the turbine do work, and letting the motor rev lets it spool the turbo faster when looking at boost vs. time.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Calculating it by the AEM logged speed and multiplying by the percent change in wheel diameter vs stock nets around 72 mph, so I'm pretty sure that's my actual speed. It's also partially verified against cars with a 68 mph limit on 2nd gear in relation to when they're hitting limiters.

As for heat, I can say my air temps were pretty high this past weekend. Saw well over 140 on the AIT sensor (I think peaks of 160). Might have to cut away more of the bumper to get more air to the intercooler, and throw more water on it between runs/ drivers.

Finally uploaded a couple videos. Found some pics on the FLR SCCA site. I'll link to a couple if I get a chance tomorrow.

YouTube Video
                            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
                            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                            Last edited by AceInHole; 07-13-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

And here's our buddy with the FUBAR'd wheel. Bad ass!
                              YouTube Video

Comment

Working...
                              X