WIP Seat-time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIP Seat-time

Same idea as Sr20goofus, to keep track of my upgrades and to have you guys opinion rather then just asking Def by PM :P.

My car is basically a stock Silvia as most of you must have seen in my build thread.
    Front
    -camber -3
    -toe 0
    -caster around 7*
    Rear
    -Camber -1
    -toe in around 3*

Coil-overs 10kg/6kg, front sway bar Whiteline(dont remember de dia), rear none. Full adjustable arms.

New upgrades:

S13->S14 rear subframe with SPL alu offset bushings filled with foam, running stock diff bushings.
    pro: -I can lay down all my 200whp at 15psi with almost no wheel spin.
    - the car sits and holds the ground...is there really more to say, it does it job very well!
    con: I am offset to the left, lazy to fix that

VLSD->2way clutch diff(jdm special, received it with my subframe :P):
    Pro:err a must. No wheel spin in the hairpins and the pick up is great! the rear tires work together lot less rear tire wear...odd I know
    cons: people watch you hop the hell out of the rear while parking.

Swaybar:stock -> Whiteline.
    Pro:The front stays flat, but there is barely any movement anymore. Its stiff and with the soft rear makes a very predictable and neutral car.
    Con: Getting to the track.

Rear brakes: Stock to gtr r32
    Pads hp+, spl braided lines...they are a little short for my liking but doing the job.
    Disc's brembo plains after this happened.

They were used discs anyhow.

I now have Purple rear discs

Breather-> stock to catch-can
    Pro: Keeps oil clean and no more octane lowering.
    Con:er after 20 mins of lapping its bypassing lots of gases.

Next-> 3 row rad+ nismo termostat+altima electric fans.

Wish list: set of 4 enkei 17's RPF1's and 245 4 corners.

Today's run

my tires after two 20 mins runs.. lost 1/8 of compound... I was a little hard on these suckers.

Rears where chilling, since I don't wheel spin anymore.

Feel free to add anything I should look forward to do to keep my car reliable+safe+fast cheaply
    Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 07-24-2010, 04:47 AM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

I was looking at my engine bay trying to figure out what i will clean out when i receive my rad and I started to ask my self what are those? They seem to be wired, but I really dont know for what. I don't have airbags. Any ideas?

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

^ that's the ambient temp sensor for the AC system, I think the ECU reads it and some other inputs to control the condenser fan. Looks like your AC is gone, so go ahead and ditch it.

Cooling is definitely a good thing. I'd add an oil cooler for a track car. My stock KA oil temp easily creeps to 220-225F, after 1 or 2 autocross runs on a summer day.
      Last edited by hai1206vn; 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I was doing this in my spare time. I just need the real measurements. It is working, its a part file sketch in catia.

If anyone wants to know their roll center, they can give me their mesurements and I can plot multiple positions.

Here are two pics comparing what would happen if we would drop the rear balljoints. As I said I am just eyeballing it.

I want to do one to simulate the front, but I dont know how I can find the ICR on a MACpherson,

Should I just use the the strut as an arm for my ICR?

P.S. Anyone rolled on Calabogie here? I am going there next wednesday!.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

for a strut, you'd have an arm with a fixed top position, variable length, and fixed to where the lower ball joint would be so the angles follow through compression and extension.
          looks like a good start!
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
            for a strut, you'd have an arm with a fixed top position, variable length, and fixed to where the lower ball joint would be so the angles follow through compression and extension.
            looks like a good start!
            Thx,

So mounting the shock like a macpherson from a E30?

Here is my try...

I hope I did something wrong, because otherwise there is something really wrong with out model of suspension...sigh..

stock.

Instant center of rotation is positioned to create - camber...obviously..

Now droped...

Now we are creating + camber...right....
            Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

When the angle between the imaginary line formed by the strut mount (camber plate or stock rubber upper mount) to ball joint and the imaginary line formed by the inner FLCA pivot to ball joint are greater than 90 degrees, you will get positive camber under compression instead of gaining negative camber.

So in that picture, yes, you will get positive camber under compression.
              http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

lol So I really have to fix the roll center issue soon...

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

New rad.. 3 core full alu.

This is going to be my cooling setup. I built this relay setup 3 months ago...-_- forgot exactly how I was going to wire it up to be able to control the fans separately. My plan is to have one switches. High//off//low

Rad is installed in the car.

Because of some exams... I don't think I can set up my fans before Calabogie( lapping event)(if I manage to get in for cheap) Does anyone think I would have any trouble without fans?

I don't think I will get stuck in traffic. So I suppose during driving fans don't help much and I would be fine.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

I finaly was able to fit my rad setup.! In time for a little time attack event(not redline).

Issues:

- I had to trim a lot of plastic from the fans because of my Sidemount intercooler piping.
                    - relay had to be unbolted(much less clean setup IMO) and Tieraped/velcro.
                    -Had to trim 1 inch from the top piping. The radiator is HUGE.
                    -Had to drive home without the fans, so when the next morning I had to spill some more prestone to remove the top hose...

Good news:

The engine runs way cooler then usual! It was 37*C outside and the rad temp(taken after 5 laps when stoped) climbed till 55*C and stayed there.

I was the fastest RWD. My friend told me that people believed that I had a non turbo car, because they couldn't hear my blow-off.(15psi,stock turbo/stock blow-off) silent killer. Exaust: 3inch all the way. DP/flex pipe/Moroso spiralflow(my fake cat)/Trust resonator/trust muffler.

Finished this hot day by swimming in the public pool :P

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

I was at Calabogie yesterday. 3hours drive on thursday, arrived at 10 at calabogie, met up with the some fellow drivers had some JD and coke and went to sleep....but since I didnt pay but brought the booze I sleped on the sofa of the house they had rented that night.

Morning, I am the second one to wake up, its 7:07 and the track is open, so I rush to the car and drive off.

This is how it looked in the morning...

We were hoping it wasn't going to rain... and it didnt

It was the full track. Amazing track. Imagine a small nurburgring 3 1/2 car wide roads. With 3 passing straights.

First run of the day. I rode shotgun in a M3 E46 with aero and some tires that I could consider them twice the width as mine.
                      you can spy him a little, he is in front of the white STI. Great to learn the corners by watching someone drive! That way when it came my turn, I was already starting with a metal image of the track. Even with 20+ corners its an easy track to remember.

The day went well after that with no major incident... except the s2000 which was following me who spun out because he lifted :P I love turbo cars, no lift lock :P.

Here is my setup, I won't go lower without the roll center adjustment.

Now to the bad part.
                      after the second session some people came to tell me that my car started to smoke... blue. Great rings? Turbo. I confirmed it today that its most probably the turbo, because my compression is A+ mean 170 with a +/-10. And the is bright blue so the oil probably doesn't burn completely on its way out. ( Comparing to my moped which doesn't smoke and burns oil .)

Also, my turbo gasket(the one between the "stock" manifold and the turbo) just let go again. I have changed it 2 times till now. And I do have a flexible and poly mounts and the trans mount. So I am going to mount my turbo to the engine/transmission next time. Now more ****in' around with this.

On the way back it took 1 quart of oil for 300km's. The turbo was laggy but working... so I made it back home. I was suprised. I made the trip with less then 40L of fuel by drafting . Stock tune with walbro 255, so its pig rich once I get out of the ecu's tunning zone.

So I am going to pull the things out to see what the hell happened. And I want you guys opinion the turbo mounting to prevent the gasket failure in the futur.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

I've never had any problems with the metal crush gaskets.

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4595

Comment

Originally posted by CoupedUp View Post
                          I've never had any problems with the metal crush gaskets.

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4595
                          its my second time. I have to change it. It happens every 3000km of 40% track

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

My T25 was shot when I got the car and would blow smoke like crazy. Spy hunter style. I just used it as an excuse to upgrade to the S15 T28.

I did two things to keep the turbo from getting loose and blowing that gasket. One is to use the trans mount for your down pipe. It takes a lot of weight and stress off the turbo. Two is honda metal deform locking nuts. They use them on headers. That stock tab thing never works for very long if you track your car.

I also use the copper rtv gasket maker instead of the metal crush gaskets. It's cheap and works great.
                            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

I might try the rtv. I was thinking of cutting a piece of 1/16 steel rather then having a crush gasket.

I will have to take some pics. But the intake side turbine started to chip and there isn't much of play but like you said Eye-5 it does smoke like spy hunters smoke clouds. But its on and off.
                              Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Working...
                              X