DIY T/C Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY T/C Rods

Have any of you considered mounting the T/C rods with two heim joints, instead of just the one on the chassis side? Seems like that would get rid of the twisting of the front control arm.
    Is there a simple reason to not do this?

Only thing I see is you'd have to make a bracket on the control arm to mount it. two studs aiming down, one stud aiming up. use a high-angle heim on that end and you're done.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I think you're describing a single shear mount, which we all know is going to make Def see blood.

What about two bolts, a spacer and a plate sandwiching the heim joint between the plate and the control arm?

Comment

The stock solution is single shear, and probably has a safety factor in the 10+ range with those two big bolts used, so it works. Not very elegant, but works.

I do have to ask, what's the issue with the LCA tilting? It doesn't tilt much. I've never had an issue with it... At least with getting rid of the stock inner bushing I haven't, and that bushing causes way more problems than binding up from LCA pitching.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Just the fact that I know it twists the control arm through it's normal movement.

Comment

Toss a rod end on the inner pivot - then it makes no difference at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
              Have any of you considered mounting the T/C rods with two heim joints, instead of just the one on the chassis side? Seems like that would get rid of the twisting of the front control arm.
              Is there a simple reason to not do this?
              Kind of like this:
              1991 Silvia Q's - SR20DE

Comment

That's a solid rod eye, it doesn't allow the parts to pivot individually.

Comment

crusie in Japan made a replacement subframe that did this. Cant for the life of me find the picture.
                  Ive posted it so many times too. Ill try google images...

Comment

Got it, google images is so much faster to find ANY info these days.

Comment

that doesnt seem that much lighter and not that much stronger. But its converting your multilink to a double wishbone....
                      Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Working...
                      X