Servicing OEM rear calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing OEM rear calipers?

Anyone got a trick for getting the piston to screw back in without dis-assembling the caliper? The FSM just says "gently screw it in" but my experience with mine and in helping others is that it successfully screws back in only about 50% of the time.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

There's a Special Socket that fit's in those pits/holes in the piston to make it easy to turn it in. But I just use a pair of needle nose and try not to damage anything. And I've been pretty successful thus far...

Comment

I found that using a grinder blade replacement tool does the job nicely

Comment

Yep, I've got a big long pair of needlenose pliers and the pistons turn without much problem but one of them will not screw back in with any of the tricks I've tried. I've disconnected the e-brake, lubricated the rubber boot, tried running it out and back in, cycling the e-brake lever to alternately loosen and tighten it and nothing helps. If that's not enough fun, I found a tear in the boot on the one that will go back in! Oh, well, Autozone has the caliper kits for $12 each so they'll get a refresh along with the new pads!

Thanks for the advice.
        DJ
        Don Johnson (really!)
        Just so you know.

Comment

Sears - Craftman makes a piece that looks like a dice with various piston patterns on it.
          You use it with a 3/8 drive.
          Works like a charm and worth every penny of the ~$20 I paid for it.

found a pic:
          1995 Fouki S14 - re-energized ka-t project!
          1999 F150 - gas guzzler parts getter
          1989 Toyota Pickup - mandatory Pomona abandoned-in-driveway vehicle
          2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive hatch - "The only 40mpg econobox worth driving"

Comment

Put the fixed-end on the back of the caliper.
            Jam that sucker back in there

The girlfriend's car required the piston to be twisted.
            Used one of these, free to rent from Autozone

Or you can buy for $20 http://www.harborfreight.com/caliper...kes-40732.html

Comment

Just as a follow up, I ended up un-screwing the piston from the adjuster until it was just hanging by the boot. I then screwed it back in and it went all the way. Bled the brakes and everything's ducky.
              Don Johnson (really!)
              Just so you know.

Comment

Working...
              X