Where to relocate battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to relocate battery?

So I'm in the process of installing a kill switch in the car. Since I have to rerun the alternator and starter lines anyway, might as well just move the battery and be done with all of it.

So it's going to the trunk. keep in mind trunk is completely empty- no spare tire to worry about and using stock fuel tank so no cell in the back.

also keep in mind since this is for club racing, its quite possible I will eventually get tagged in the right rear corner. I want to mount it as far away from crushable structure as possible.

Soo.. do you think I'd be better off mounting it just behind the right rear wheel on the 'floor' of the trunk, OR mounting it in the spare tire well near the right rear wheel, OR dead-center in the tire well, as pictured?

I'm running a Miata battery, so its arleady fairly light- maybe 25lb compared to a stock-sized battery that's 40+lb.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

I put mine behind the passenger seat, where the rear seat cushion would have been. Im using a bigcrank.com ETX30L battery maybe like 15lbs puts out 365CCA which is what the FSM says for the starting system.
    SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

If I mounted it in the cabin, I'd have to put it in a sealed box and vent it to the outside and all that fun stuff. it would negate any weight savings I already have.
      It's easier (and lighter overall) to mount it in the trunk.

Plus the rear pass seat is where my fire extinguisher is.
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

What about using something like an Optima or Hawk or Odyssey battery? Shouldn't have to vent the hydrogen out of the cabin then?
        http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Mine is a sealed AGM battery. Doesn't need a box or vent and can be mounted any way you want. Its a atv/snowmobile battery only paid 90$ shipped. Found out about it from some BMW guys.
          SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

Yeah I was looking to pick up a Braille battery soon actually.

Comment

Braille's are a rip off last time I checked... BIG rip off.

Are you under or over weight? If you're over weight for your rules, then get a lighter battery like an Odyssey PC680. Pretty cheap weight reduction.

If I were going to mount the existing battery anywhere I think I'd go with in the front of the spare tire well to keep it down as low as possible.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

How are Braille a big rip off? I thought they did their own thing?

I dunno, I was looking at the Odyssey battery too, but someone said the Braille equivalent of the Odyssey in the same size, the Braille kicked the Odyssey's ass?

In any case, if you relocated your battery to in front of the spare tire well, where did you guys run the power cable back to the front of the car? And did you guys just put it on the alternator at the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  Braille's are a rip off last time I checked... BIG rip off.

Are you under or over weight? If you're over weight for your rules, then get a lighter battery like an Odyssey PC680. Pretty cheap weight reduction.

If I were going to mount the existing battery anywhere I think I'd go with in the front of the spare tire well to keep it down as low as possible.

Brailles are certainly a rip off, especially being that there are a million other small type batteries that are of the same size, and half the cost. For example that small ATV sized battery that I run is the same sized as the braille, from Carquest (It's a deka) and was like 50 or 60 bucks...can't go wrong with that. Same CCA and specs as the Braille, and it fits nice in the front of the engine bay (no need to relocate)...plus it's only like 8 lbs.

'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                  [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                  [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

My question wasn't what battery to use- I'm using what I've got for now. the point is where to mount the battery I'm using.

Mounting the battery in the rear saves a lot of hassles and BS from tech inspectors that tell you that you have to have a SLA battery still inside a box and etc (There are several tech inspectors in Houston that are fcuktards and like to make up their own rules.) if I just mount it in the back, it's a non-issue.

If/when I buy another battery, I'll consider changing to something else. until then, I'm sticking with the Miata battery I have.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by SoSideways View Post
                      How are Braille a big rip off? I thought they did their own thing?
                      It's a rip off because the DEKA battery is essentially the same thing.
                      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060&page=1

To the OP, I would just stick it in the trunk.

Comment

If you are looking to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible then mount the battery as low as you can in the car.

Also unless you have firewalled the trunk to the cabin it will still have to be mounted in a sealed box with external vent (unless it is a sealed battery)

Comment

Originally posted by WilloW View Post
                          It's a rip off because the DEKA battery is essentially the same thing.
                          http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060&page=1

To the OP, I would just stick it in the trunk.
                          I don't think you can mount a battery sideways like the one in this thread.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

I think the spare well is a fine area. It was between there and behind the passenger seat for my battery. Decided to go behind the passenger seat to get the CG down a little lower and try to get a little more weight on the right side of the car.

Comment

BTW - the car will turn in great getting that heavy ass thing off the nose.

Comment

Working...
                              X